Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dawlish Sea Wall collapses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Wow, that looks bad. I walked along there many times in the 80s, great place to grice! The houses dont look like they will be there too much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

And people who must live under stones are turning for up trains as if not a drop of uisce has fallen.....

Taunton to Exeter is shut for Whiteball Tunnel maintenence for 3 weeks, all the problems are south of Exeter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

to me it seems it was only a matter of time before this happened

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

That stretch has had problems since it was built and is a maintenance nightmare for Network Rail, it's often affected by storms.

Wonder whether it will improve the case for re-opening the alternative L&SWR route via Okehampton north of Dartmoor, a parallel route that should never have been shut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

sea views

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

101sean wrote: »
    That stretch has had problems since it was built and is a maintenance nightmare for Network Rail, it's often affected by storms.

Wonder whether it will improve the case for re-opening the alternative L&SWR route via Okehampton north of Dartmoor, a parallel route that should never have been shut.

The Okehampton route isn't really parallel as it would involve a reversal at Exeter (if the trains continue to run from Paddington rather than Waterloo) and isn't that easy to work as it runs across the foothills of Dartmoor to a greater extent than the current line. The line to Newton Abbot would still have to remain for the Torbay trains, so you would be rebuilding a line solely for the benefit of Plymouth and Cornwall traffic. If I remember correctly you would have another reversal at Plymouth to reach Penzance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bob425
    Miss

The former L&SWR route & the former Teign Valley route will not be reopened. What will probably happen at great cost is a much larger reinforced wall will be built along most of the 4 miles from Dawlish Warren to Teignmouth. The passenger will see very little of the sea and the many people who walk the Sea Wall will not see a train. It would appear that part of Brunel's GWR line is about to change forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,154 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bob425 wrote: »
    The former L&SWR route & the former Teign Valley route will not be reopened.
    its doubtful i'd agree, but i would say that reopening the L&SWR route will be looked at in the future if the situation at Dawlish Warren becomes more common even with new defences
    bob425 wrote: »
    What will probably happen at great cost is a much larger reinforced wall will be built along most of the 4 miles from Dawlish Warren to Teignmouth. The passenger will see very little of the sea and the many people who walk the Sea Wall will not see a train. It would appear that part of Brunel's GWR line is about to change forever.
    most likely but you never know, either way interesting times ahead

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Advertisement