Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Dickerty wrote: »
    And very few players of his ilk work in England. He doesn't have the physicality for it. Cesc was a rare example, and a rare talent. Most likely position for a smaller player is out wide, and Dani is not a winger...

David Silva is extremely slight but well able for the rigours of the EPL.
    I actually deliberately didn't mention his size or frame as I think that can be overcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    I get what you are saying mongril but having watched him he is just slightly below what I think we need.
    Big season coming up for Henderson and if he doesn't cut it this year he'll surely be shipped out.
    As for Pacheco several managers now have decided seemingly that he isn't quite good enough and neither of the 2 Spanish clubs he was with this season have decided to keep.
    I'd love to be wrong and he turns out to be a superstar but I just can't see it.
    In saying all that no harm in giving him another try. I'm not sure of his contract situation.

His contract runs out in June 2014. So if nothing else he would make for handy squad cover for a season or two, especially if Rodgers sets up the team in a 4-3-3.

amiable wrote: »
    David Silva is extremely slight but well able for the rigours of the EPL.
    I actually deliberately didn't mention his size or frame as I think that can be overcome

Throw Modric and Nasri in as well as guys with slight builds.

Mental toughness and high skill levels can often compensate for lack of physicality, otherwise it would just be a matter of putting together a team of physically fit 6'3 footballers with average skills if you wanted to win the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

He's definitely worth a run out. I like his attitude as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Kess73 wrote: »

Mental toughness and high skill levels can often compensate for lack of physicality, otherwise it would just be a matter of putting together a team of physically fit 6'3 footballers with average skills if you wanted to win the league.

Dyer who plays for Swansea at the moment is really tiny too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

There is an inverse correalation between technique and athleticism in the general professional footballer equation though. The less of one you have the more of the other you need if your ceiling isn't going to be reduced. And if you dip below a certain point in either, the other can't compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's largely the same rotation that Hodgson had, and it is playing far better than it was with him in charge. And that's with a dropoff from Reina thrown in for the craic.

Even I could have the team playing far better than Hodgson tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Stoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Even I could have the team playing far better than Hodgson tbh.

No, you and I couldn't. It's very easy to point out things that are obviously ridiculous, but someone still has to come in and fix them. Clarke did, and fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

So June 18th sees the fixtures released. Trip to the Liberty Stadium first? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Nasri, Modric and Silva have 3, 2 and 1 inch on Dani respectively, and all are built far more firmly, which comes from playing professionally for 5/6 years more than Dani (who has also had limited game time). And that experience means they know how to protect the ball, they play smart.

Also, the fact that Dani still struggled to impress back in Spain where he should be more comfortable doesn't bode well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No, you and I couldn't. It's very easy to point out things that are obviously ridiculous, but someone still has to come in and fix them. Clarke did, and fair play to him.

Doesn't make him a great coach though.

Nasri, Modric and Silva have 3, 2 and 1 inch on Dani respectively, and all are built far more firmly, which comes from playing professionally for 5/6 years more than Dani (who has also had limited game time). And that experience means they know how to protect the ball, they play smart.

Also, the fact that Dani still struggled to impress back in Spain where he should be more comfortable doesn't bode well.

He also only turned 21 this year, so if age is used as an excuse for others, then surely he should be allowed the same slack?

I don't think there is a worldbeater in Dani, and I don't think that he will ever be more than useful squad cover at Liverpool, but I do think if others can have an excuse used for their average performances then the same excuse can be used for an even younger player.

There is an inverse correalation between technique and athleticism in the general professional footballer equation though. The less of one you have the more of the other you need if your ceiling isn't going to be reduced. And if you dip below a certain point in either, the other can't compensate.

Don't disagree with you on that. Which is why I said that my team of uber fit 6'3 physically superior specimens came with average skill levels so that they were slightly above the minimum skill level needed, but far above the minimum physical level needed.:)

Think he got injured so didnt get much gametime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Again I will ask the question ....

If LvG is out of the frame then who the hell is advising the owners ?

Surely there is a Dark Force in the background directing all these changes and just waiting to step out for a reveal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

How did Dani struggle to impress back in Spain? He has been injured for nearly the whole of this season. The Rayo coach did an interview about half way through the season saying they had been working with Dani but had found it hard to get him up to match speed and integrate him into the team due to his stop start injury problems.

When he did eventually get match fit it was with about 4/5 games to go in the season. Rayo at that time were in the mist of a relegation dog fight so naturally the coach stuck with the players he had worked with all season.

Opr

Damn, Chelsea look to be trying to sew up deal after deal as quickly as possible.

Marin onboard it would seem

Hazard onboard

Hulk for between £35m and £40m will be announced officially tomorrow according to the radio :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Leiva wrote: »

who the hell is advising the owners ?

Thats what I'd like to know. I honestly believe that FSG haven't a fu@king clue what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Damn, Chelsea look to be trying to sew up deal after deal as quickly as possible.

Hazard onboard

Hulk for between £35m and £40m will be announced officially tomorrow according to the radio :eek:

Man that's depressing.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Hazard onboard

No point even looking at Chelsea, United or City next season. :(

Arsenal, Spurs and arguably Newcastle, they're the first results i'll be looking out for. They're our main rivals for the forseeable future for that all important 4th place. Zero chance of finishing above the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Isn't this moaning about FSG utterly pointless? (answer is yes).

Chelsea? Who gives a **** they haven't got a manager - he could be terrible or discover the place is too full of argumentative highly strung talent to be workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

opr wrote: »
    Man that's depressing.

Opr

Yep, if that's true it shows you that we are slipping further away from the likes of Chelsea and Man City where money its seems remains absolutely no object.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

opr wrote: »
    Man that's depressing.

Opr

Pretty depressing alright. It's all about the money and theres no way we can compete with them monetarily.

The only way any other team is going to be able to compete for the title for the foreseeable future is if they are bought by billionaires.

mike65 wrote: »
    Isn't this moaning about FSG utterly pointless? (answer is yes).

Chelsea? Who gives a **** they haven't got a manager - he could be terrible or discover the place is too full of argumentative highly strung talent to be workable.

Well given that our aim over the next season or two has to be to get a CL spot, I think them strengthening to such a degree would be a big deal for Liverpool as it will make them that bit harder to catch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I don't rate Hulk anyway, very overrated player.
    A back to form Torres would worry me more than Hulk to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Slattsy wrote: »
    I don't rate Hulk anyway, very overrated player.
    A back to form Torres would worry me more than Hulk to be honest.
    He'll be injured after the Euros going by past form :pac:

I just hope we get some quality players in over the summer. That usually lifts peoples spirits.

Its gutting seeing players that we love watching being purchased by other teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

it seems less important as to whom the managers are these days, but more so the owners, and the depths of their wallets, CL football next year will be a wonderful sucess for BR.
    the people on here who were annoyed we didnt go for Pep have to realise what Liverpool FC is at the minute. And as much as it kills me to say it, we are a mid to top 6 team, and not one bit better. Spurs, Arsenal, the Mancs and Chelsea all have better squads than we have. To talk about the past is pointless, and living on past glories is no good, Kenny being replaced by BR, well we will just have to wait and see, as there is quite a few more pieces of the jigsaw to come before anyone can make knowledgable predictions, ie. budget and if a DOF is coming in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement