Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impact of traffic congestion at N4/M50 interchange on the residents of the area

Options
  • 04-01-2008 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi
    I am a final year student of Architectural Technology, My thesis topic is The impact of traffic congestion at N4/M50 interchange on the residents of the area. I am looking for some local resident or anybody that has the knowledge of the area pre and post M50 construction.
    Cheers.
    Afis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can anyone help this chap?

Afis, you might look for the EIS for the project.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm a resident of the N4 corridor and daily user of the road, have found that about ten minutes has been taken off my journey to work since the inbound carraigeway went freeflow. I turn off before the M50 and will have another reduction in journey time once the Lucan/Newcastle Road junction is grade seperated, but probably not as major. Not sure what extra details I can provide...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Afis wrote: »
    Hi
    I am a final year student of Architectural Technology, My thesis topic is The impact of traffic congestion at N4/M50 interchange on the residents of the area. I am looking for some local resident or anybody that has the knowledge of the area pre and post M50 construction.
    Cheers.
    Afis.

If you find anything interesting let me know. I'm doing an MSc project on sustainable work zones in the urban area and while the M50 isnt what I would have in mind it would be interesting to see what back ground information would reveal.

So far what I've come across there isnt many studies on the the impact of congestion and emissions. But I havent looked to hard yet!

I also live out that way (lucan for a long time now Leixlip) So ask away any questions you hav
    Victor wrote:

Can anyone help this chap?

Afis, you might look for the EIS for the project.

The EIS canbe got through the county council. Not sure how much it would cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Stupid as it sounds you may want to get your hands on something like Simcity 4 Deluxe. That has extensive networks of highways etc and is a great hands on tool to get some kind of idea about traffic flow without having to program or get complicated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Stupid as it sounds you may want to get your hands on something like Simcity 4 Deluxe. That has extensive networks of highways etc and is a great hands on tool to get some kind of idea about traffic flow without having to program or get complicated.

that wouldn't model traffic with any decent accuracy I would have thought. Check out your college computers. They may have much better traffic modelling software and its easy to pick up.

I'm not sure if for a final year engineering project you model it on sim city would go down well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I don't commute through the junction, but Dublin bus might be worth a shot...informally chat to drivers or maybe formally they have metrics on timetable improvements (hopefully). Also passenger numbers. All buses to Lucan/Leixlip/Maynooth etc go through the junction. Of course buses had/have bus lanes to skip the queues to/from the junction but they still had to stop at the lights when they were there. There was also an awkward merge for them inbound just after Liffey Valley stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

SC4 was an exceptionally complex simulation. In fact I would desregard it on the grounds it is too complex. An expert town planner couldnt even succeed in that game.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its virtually impossible to keep your head above water in SC4 without having an "Irish economy" - low tax, low public services; and the traffic system in it is insane....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Looks like successive Irish governments may have been using sim-city to plan our growth all along...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Ploughing a highway through the city centre is fun though because you dont have to worry about Nimbyism, and if they complain, demolish their house or send a meteor their way :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement