Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diversion Question

• 10-01-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭

Traffic in Fermoy has been diverted via the M8.

What happens to

1. Learner drivers?
    2. Drivers in vehicles not permitted to use motorways?
    3. Those who do not wish to pay the toll?

.....or can the motorway been 'de-classified' for the duration of the diversion? :eek:

(also, presumably Haz Chem drivers will have to return to base and begin again.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah what happens?

Presumably common sense would prevail and any driver would be allowed on the motorway to keep things moving rather than getting bogged down in legislation and forcing L drivers (in this case) to wait outside Fermoy in the floods.

Dunno tho, what is the official line here?

AA Roadwatch site "The bridge in Fermoy remains closed due to flooding with diversions on the M8 (bear in mind that this is a tolled road). Avoid Fermoy town if possible. *"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can they not get out a map and find an alternative route? Very few places only have 1 or access roads. Don't think they can change the laws that quickly. Also if they declassified it as a motorway would they not have to remove the tolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I cam thru Fermoy with no Problems around 3 pm....I would think its up to you if you use the diversion and you'd have to pay the toll if you did.....if you were not permitted on the Motorway but were directed to use it by the Gards, you would be OK to use it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A road doesn't have to be a motorway to be tolled. AA roadwatch says to bear in mind that the M8 is a tolled road when using the diversion so presumably there's no waiving of that. The toll operators must be laughing.

Anyway, the L-drivers can just get their licensed passenger to drive on the M8 for them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

corktina wrote: »
    I cam thru Fermoy with no Problems around 3 pm
    I think they began diverting after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

9 O Clock news showed several feet of water in Fermoy, the bridge was impassable and I wouldnt have gone over it anyway with the amount of water going under it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Swim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

9 O Clock news showed several feet of water in Fermoy, the bridge was impassable and I wouldnt have gone over it anyway with the amount of water going under it :D

Fermoy Bridge is a massive and quite beautiful bridge which i dont think a Glacier would shift....the next alternative upstream doesnt get closed but looks almost Medaeval in comparison and its that one that would worry me crossing when the river is in flood....(.i met a flood on the N73 at the Killavullen turn (after Fermoy and en route for Mallow) which was unprotected by any warning signs and impassible to cars...I got through fairly easily in a Merc Sprinter but the bow wave was up to my windscreen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Del2005 wrote: »
    if they declassified it as a motorway would they not have to remove the tolls?
    Stark wrote: »
    A road doesn't have to be a motorway to be tolled
    The East Link in Dublin would be an example.
    corktina wrote: »
    I got through fairly easily in a Merc Sprinter but the bow wave was up to my windscreen....
    :eek: :D

Advertisement