Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External drive power failure

Options
  • 07-10-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am desperate for help.
    I have a Maxtor One Touch II 300Gb Firewire/USB external drive.
    By mistake I plugged in my HP laptop power supply to the hard drives power supply socket.:eek:
    The hard drive takes 12 V and 3 A while the Laptop uses 18 V and 3.5 A.
    I realised my error and plugged in the proper lead.
    However, it seems the damage was done, it doesn't work anymore and the "on" light doesn't come up anymore.

Have i fried the disk?

Would anyone know where i can go to get it repaired?
    Is buying another disk and swapping parts an option? (I guess i am grasping at straws here.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

open case, examine the drive,pcb,board,is there burn,scorch marks.
    are the pcb tracks clear,unbroken.if the board is fecked,fried its possible to get a pcb replacement,from an identical hd.must be exact same model. google how to install ide or sata drive in a pc.or use a usb to sata,ide cable.
    be careful,if the pcb,drive is frioed it could short circuit ,your pc, ie it could damage your pc.pick up an old p3 pc,on adverts.ie /free stuff.or jumbletown ie.
    is there a burnt smell from the pcb/hd.plug it in to an old pentium3 pc.
    hd s have a separate pcb board ,which can be replaced,is the data valuable,or just like mp3s,backups.
    all valuable data should be backed up on 2 separate hardrives,ie hds can fail at anytime,or backup,to 2dvds,a dvdr is only 10cent ,4,4gig storage on 1.
    google trobleshooting usb external drive faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There is a high probability that the power surge fried the drives power supply but not the drive itself.

As suggested above, open the drive housing & see if there is a fuse on the power supply section (not likely though).

Depending on the type of HDD IDE or SATA you could get a an adapter which connects directly from the Maxtor drive to a USB port on your PC. They come with their own independent power supply.

You could also add the drive to your PC as a second drive and access your data that way.

I would run with the adapter option & use the supplied power adapter to power the drive (Without connecting it to the PC) to see if it spins up.

If it spins up it would be safe to connect it to the PC.

A lot of these adapters are now sold with dual connections (Covers both IDE & SATA)

Check HERE to see some available options or get one in a bricks & mortar store such as Maplin (pricey there though)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

knock off pc,take out pc plug from esb socket,if ide plug it in to to power cable,DO NOT PLUG THE data cable into pc,or the hd,turn on pc,place hand on top of the drive,or underneath,you should be able to hear,feel the hardrive spin up,if it doesnt spin up ,the hd pcb is probably fried,or damaged.google troubleshooting ide /sata harddrives.if you plug it in 2 a new pc ,you could damage the mobo,or cpu.do not touch the hd pcb ,circuit board at any time,take static precautions.theres always free pcs going on adverts.ie if you wanna plug it in to an old pc.you could prbly buy an identical drive on ebay. adverts,ie ,swap round the pcb.must be same model,exact same hd pcb/logic board.theres no way ,id plug that into a new pc,but you could plug into a pci ide/sata card,still theres a risk of damaging the pc.open the case,and post pics ,here of board/connectors if you want more advice.

Advertisement