Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sir Ian Paisley resigns

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Long nicknamed "Dr. No" for his intransigent refusal to agree a peace deal, Paisley has also come under growing pressure in recent months over his cozy relationship with McGuinness.

Oh la la, sounds saucy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

:D Saucy indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No loss. Indirectly responsible for needless thousands of deaths over the last 40 years.

Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gerry Adams has described Paisley as "cordial".

I wouldn't have imagined he would taste any better no matter how much water you added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I don't think he was ever knighted, was he? Something very disturbing about all the pics of him and McGuinness laughing, think I preferred him when he was a miserable old bigot to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

wrote:
    Long nicknamed "Dr. No" for his intransigent refusal to agree a peace deal, Paisley has also come under growing pressure in recent months over his cozy relationship with McGuinness.
    Although the pair have never been seen to shake hands, they are often seen happily together in public, earning them the ironic label of "The Chuckle Brothers."

The Chuckle Brothers lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I suspect something is going on, his son only resigned a few weeks ago
    I suspect he was holding on and grooming the son as heir apparent. As last week's events probably make that unlikely, at least in the short to medium term, he may have decided enough was enough. He's 81, after all, and even he seems to have finally gotten tired of fighting with everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 montyballs

not before time his party was trying to get rid of him for a while now as the route he was leading his party was not going to well with 70% looking rid of him. anyway i hope he rots in hell......

his son is like our TDs of old or not so old helping with rezoning of land getting mixed up with bogee builders for some nice fat brown envelopes.

montyballs wrote: »
    his son is like our TDs of old or not so old helping with rezoning of land getting mixed up with bogee builders for some nice fat brown envelopes.

Apart from one thing, he had the dignity to resign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Collie D wrote: »
    I don't think he was ever knighted, was he?

He's actually Dr Ian Paisley...

random, pointless contribution for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Knights are Sirs'

Not knighted

misslt wrote: »

random, pointless contribution for the day.

His Doctorate is extremely questionable too in fairness...some redneck university as far as I'm aware. Now that I'm at it, you could probably wipe Reverend off the list as well seeing as he had to invent his own church

Knights are Sirs'

Not knighted

You're the one who used it as your thread title :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

'Bout time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

seamus wrote: »
    No loss. Indirectly responsible for needless thousands of deaths over the last 40 years.

Good riddance.
    +1.

I'm amazed the old loon is still alive at 81 - between his size and his decades of ranting, his heart must be under a lot of strain.

His Doctorate is extremely questionable too in fairness...some redneck university as far as I'm aware. Now that I'm at it, you could probably wipe Reverend off the list as well seeing as he had to invent his own church

So in the space of a few posts we've reduced him from Sir Dr Rev Ian Paisley to the waste of space he really is.

Thats my job done for today :D

he's not even a Dr. he gave him self that title in the 60's the same with the church he set up he gave himself the RIGHT REV. title too.

he's not even a Dr. he gave him self that title in the 60's the same with the church he set up he gave himself the RIGHT REV. title too.

Oh, I know, but thats his 'official' title.

So in the space of a few posts we've reduced him from Sir Dr Rev Ian Paisley to the waste of space he really is.

Thats my job done for today :D

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd like to put RIP at the end of his name if he feels that plain old Ian Paisley doesn't fill the letterhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You're the one who used it as your thread title :confused:
    hehehe :)

I used sir because of his age e.t.c. I refer to him as Sir...

I just googled and he's The Revd and Rt Hon.Ian Paisley MP MLA

apologies, am stupid tonight

I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd like to put RIP at the end of his name if he feels it doesn't feel that plain old Ian Paisley doesn't fill the letterhead

Meh. He's 81. Now that he doesn't have frantic nationalist hating to fill his days with I'm sure nature will take its course in the not too distant future.

Oh, I know, but thats his 'official' title.

don't mind me i just hate that **** so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

About fúcking time.

A pathetic excuse for a human, if there ever was one.

I don't like many people, but I hate very few.
    He would be one of the few.
    A closed minded bigot who probably only ever agreed to power sharing because he probably developed senile dementia.

don't mind me i just hate that **** so much.

Not exactly in love with him myself either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Terry wrote: »
    About fúcking time.

A pathetic excuse for a human, if there ever was one.

I don't like many people, but I hate very few.
    He would be one of the few.
    A closed minded bigot who probably only ever agreed to power sharing because he probably developed senile dementia.

Absolutley sums that excuse for a human. The biggest ( in every sense of the word) bigot the world has ever known. May his reward in the next world be to rot in hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Not one of big Ian's best moments. Maybe its where Sinead O' Connor drew inspiration from a few years later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

The Chuckle Brothers lol
    Although the pair have never been seen to shake hands, they are often seen happily together in public, earning them the ironic label of "The Chuckle Brothers."

pah....neither of them have mustaches, they're no chuckle brothers.

Dr/Mr/Fr/Mrs Ian Paisley, yeah whatever, good riddance hes retired, i doubt he'll remain quiet......a big bigot from a province with more than its fair share of them on both sides of the divide

Not one of big Ian's best moments. Maybe its where Sinead O' Connor drew inspiration from a few years later!

The people who elected him must be so proud. I always wondered at why unionists and supporters of the British monarchy went for elections to European Parliaments when clearly the entire theory of the unity of Europe pretty much contradicts the power and strength of the monarchy they believe in.....oh well thats a debate for another day and another board for people who care (me not being one of them!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

What an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Yis wouldn't be so happy if yis knew what was coming next... :eek:

Oilrig wrote: »
    Yis wouldn't be so happy if yis knew what was coming next... :eek:

What..........dont tell me, Star Wars was a bizzare prophecy and hes actually gerry adams father ...........:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

while we're at it, another few nuggets of wisdom from the doctor...

2d0fms7.jpg

25anklw.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

His wife is a Dame, would that not make him Sir Ian Paisley?

He'll probably be made a Lord upon his retirement.

He did help bring peace to N.I., N.I. will be a more boring place without him

jahalpin wrote: »

He'll probably be made a Lord upon his retirement.

I'm sure the families of the thousands who died thank you for that last comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Apart from one thing, he had the dignity to resign
    Yah, unlike his father, his father is just a twat. it's something that I respect him for, but yet I hate him because of his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iO1BaZG3L-GpewbEroz_TkrcQBsA

I suspect something is going on, his son only resigned a few weeks ago

ya think!?

amazingly his son has been appointed in the policing board, which became vacant when someone was appointed from there to his post after resigning, a tribunal?

Ireland - a nation corrupt, with a disgustingly false sense of pride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think he'd make a cool soft toy doll. He could have one them pull strings, the first time you pull it he's all Mad and crazy saying no all the time, he could kind of flap about while he's mad. The next time you pull it he's all nice and peaceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He drew out the peace process about ten years longer than it needed to be and did nothing but incite hatred between the two communities for 40 years.

"Peaceful" is the last word I would use to describe Ian Paisley. It's no coincidence that now that peace exists, Ian Paisley is no longer comfortable in NI. He's a hatemonger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

When the IRA were asked about plans to murder him they claimed they wouldn't as he was their best recruiting sergeant. He'd make some bigoted speech and recruits would flood in.

Fcuker made my fists itch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

He drew out the peace process about ten years longer than it needed to be and did nothing but incite hatred between the two communities for 40 years.

"Peaceful" is the last word I would use to describe Ian Paisley. It's no coincidence that now that peace exists, Ian Paisley is no longer comfortable in NI. He's a hatemonger.

Damn right. Im sick that allt he papers today are making out like he was some kind of inspirational figure in Irish politics. 'A giant of irish politics' they said in the indo i think it was...a giant alright, a giant prick. When he dies im going to dance a ****ing jig. An ACTUAL jig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

In fairness, I think that's an incredibly simplistic attitude to take. Paisley is not just one man delivering simply his own opinion, he is someone who delivers the opinion of his constituents in Antrim, and the wider Unionist community in Ulster.
    The respect and faith of these voters in the UUP under David Trimble was totally undermined after he (in his own words) "jumped first", and Republicans failed to follow his lead.
    Lets be honest here, Ian Paisley, as I'm sure we all remember from the sackcloth and ashes days, really made sure that this was it, that Republicans were genuinely committed to peaceful powersharing and the machinery of state, most notably the police services.

He needed to do that for his constituents, who remain very untrustworthy of both Dublin and Republicanism in general. If he had not, who knows how soon he would have been cast aside for someone like Jim Allister and his ilk, and a further shift to hardcore Unionism.
    Pailey had his own selfish motivations for powersharing, but I think that ultimately he did, and does, want to see peace in Ulster. He's a bigot, and in some ways a terrible man, but this peace would not be so prosperous were it not for him, and we would still be stuck in the same deadlock we were in prior to the GFA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

he's no worse than gerry adams imo. I cant stand any of them.
    He did appear to park his bigotry in recent years to help the peace process. Only God and history can decide if it was too little too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

faceman wrote: »
    he's no worse than gerry adams imo. I cant stand any of them.
    He did appear to park his bigotry in recent years to help the peace process. Only God and history can decide if it was too little too late.
    Considering my father had the pleasure of being "encouraged" to leave his home in Larne, due to Paisley and his followers in 1970, I feel nothing but distain for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Bogger - terrible to forced out of your home, although - total result for you ! You would not want to have had to grow up in Larne. Awful place.

Paisley - bigot, ultra conservative nightmare of a man. I dislike him a lot However, it's total foolishness to suggest he was responsible for 3000+ deaths. Incitement is one thing, pulling the trigger is another. There is plenty of guilt to be shared around. On all sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i hope he dies in a grease fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I am pie wrote: »
    Paisley - bigot, ultra conservative nightmare of a man. I dislike him a lot However, it's total foolishness to suggest he was responsible for 3000+ deaths. Incitement is one thing, pulling the trigger is another. There is plenty of guilt to be shared around. On all sides.
    No-one here has said Paisley was solely responsible for all the deaths of the last 40 years. He is certainly responsible for encouraging a climate of violence and murder though. Even though he is retiring, I can't see him keeping his mouth shut, the bloated, bigoted old bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

wow. I just saw the indo, I can't believe how they describe him. West brit rag.

How do they describe him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement