Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Drugs Be Made Legal??

Comments

doonothing wrote: »

Taking drugs out of the hands of dodgy bastards on the street and bringing production into laboratories will make them safer, less readily available, and reduce crime.
    Isn't something crazy like 10% of the worlds economy is in the illegal drugs trade? Let's take that money and build a hospital...
    Yes, just think of how life would be different...
    No crack dens, No rich people with no apparent income, fewer deaths caused by bad drugs, fewer taking it up in the first place, HUGE tax take for the government.

But the OP is asking for a black white answer to an area with many shades of grey!

Are we including DDT for example.

Would be better to target the third world countries where the drugs are grown in the first place and enable the farmers to earn a living from growing something else, bio-fuels anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

It would be better to legalise drugs if, and only if, it was handled properly.

A registration system, so users are known and as such if they commit a crime under the influence of a drug they will be punished more harshly, for abusing the system, it would also help with keeping tabs on how much drugs are being consumed by people and so it would be obvious if they spent over their means that they were stealing from somewhere.

Total personal liability. It would have to be totally clear that its your own risk, and there would need to be no way someone could sue the government if they OD or suffer ill effects.

If they could also ensure the drugs are 'safe' (in terms of nothing added that isn't mentioned) then thats another bonus, jobs could be created in manufacture, distribution, registration, etc. So it would hugely benefit the economy in terms of jobs and the tax on the drugs, also less strain on the gardai and emergency services.

So it becomes simply a personal choice, closely monitored, cutting out the dealers, running druglords out of business, basically stopping a lot of organised crime, while monitoring the people who commit petty crimes like mugging and theft to fund their habit, so that its more obvious who's committing the crime.

The only argument against legalisation is that people will abuse drugs or think they're safe because they're legal. But we're not stupid. There would be health warnings. If you choose to take drugs you risk the consequences of addiction or health problems. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i'd be infavour of legalising and producing drugs ala the pharmacutical trade. mainly to ensure what drugs are out there are produced to standard and to take out the criminal element.

when prohibition was in the states in the 20s its virtually created the mafia and the eventual legalisation of drink took away alot of their power (which coincidently is now in the OTHER prohibited substances :D) and during that peroid a hell of alot of people died and went blind from substandard hooch cooked up in bathtubs to supply the demand. whens the last time ya heard of someone going blind from a pint of bud or a gin and tonic?

i dont like saying this, and im not happy about it, but if a large enough number of the population is doing drugs and the rest of society dont dob them into the gardai then you have to accept that by consensus society wants drugs and you either face up to that and leglislate accordingly to look out for the wider national intrests or you do what we're doing now which is stick our collective heads in the ground and ignore it.

personally if i have to choose i want the gov making the drugs. taxing them. and using the ringfenced money to build rehab centres and funding education campaigns focusing on primary school kids so we end up with something akin to whats going on against tobacco now.

as things stand all were doing is making millionaires out of thugs who are absolutely delighted with the way things are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

No, and drink and fags should go too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No, and drink and fags should go too.

And we should all be forced to go to church every sunday!

People are free to make whatever choices they like in life. I smoked for 8 or 9 years and quit of my own free will because I didn't want to smoke anymore. I drink occasionally because I like unwinding and having a laugh.

You only live once, and I'd rather live til I was 50 and enjoyed my life than lived til I was 90 and not experienced life.

dlofnep wrote: »

You only live once, and I'd rather live til I was 50 and enjoyed my life than lived til I was 90 and not experienced life.
    That depends on what type of life you want! If you get damaged by drugs in your late teen/early twenties you may well only live to 50 but it'll feel like 90 as your quality of life will be crap!

dlofnep wrote: »
    And we should all be forced to go to church every sunday!

People are free to make whatever choices they like in life. I smoked for 8 or 9 years and quit of my own free will because I didn't want to smoke anymore. I drink occasionally because I like unwinding and having a laugh.

List 3 good things that keeping drink and fags will do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well this is a well thought out question:rolleyes:

Yes to some drugs, no to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Argh! I'm sick of these bloody drug threads! Do you take Cocaine? Do you take Heroin? Katy French dies! Waterford youth dies! Should cannabis be legalised! Should drugs be legalised! Argh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Argh! I'm sick of these bloody drug threads! Do you take Cocaine? Do you take Heroin? Katy French dies! Waterford youth dies! Should cannabis be legalised! Should drugs be legalised! Argh!
    Let's not forget my 'do you take sugar' thread. God!!! Credit where credit's due ffs!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

apologies indeed, sir :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

They're never going to go away - but Gov. control on them would sort out a hell of a lot of problems. Most of the kick people get from them comes from them being illegal in the first place (at least the way I see it with a group I used to hang about with).

Could someone post up the different classes and examples ? I'm guessing hash is class C or something. Just out of curiosity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

There's no good reason that the sale and advertising of fags to still be legal IMO, but as for keeping drink legal, it enables people to a have fun in a particular manner which is not possible otherwise. It's not "sad" or "pathetic" and it only becomes that way when it's overused, but just because some people might overuse it doesn't mean it should be illegal. We all should be considered responsible adults capable of making our own choices and our laws should reflect that.

I've thought about this issue a lot, and I come up with different ideas all the time of how a system with drugs legalised would work. I think that alcohol has got to be regulated properly first before any other drugs are legalised. When the other drugs are legalised they would have to be very strictly regulated(at first, anyway. I personally think that the shockingly low amount of damage the drugs would do to society would naturally cause a relaxation in strictness of regulation). Information leaflets on how to use drugs correctly and sensibly would be distributed freely. If done correctly it simply wouldn't be as bad as anti-drugs people make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Deja fcukin vu again...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

no.

I don't smoke, and I couldn't care less about keeping smoking legal. Some people find smoking relaxing. If they smoke, it's their prerogative.

As for drinking.

1) Increases the craic.
    2) Removes all inhibitions and self conciousness.
    3) Improves your dancing skills, tenfold.

I'll tell you - if I went to a club sober, I'd go home after 20 minutes because I'd be bored off me trolley. People drink because when they drink they forget about all the bullcrap conformity they are meant to follow by society and be themself a bit more and just enjoy themselves.

Sure abuse leads to liver damage and so forth - but who gives a crap. Just drink in moderation.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Information leaflets on how to use drugs correctly and sensibly would be distributed freely.
    You mean something like this?
    Thats working so far (yeah right).

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    It's not "sad" or "pathetic" and it only becomes that way when it's overused,
    No, it is sad and pathetic that people need to alter the functioning of their brain to "have fun".

No, it is sad and pathetic that people need to alter the functioning of their brain to "have fun".

No it's not. Under the influence of alcohol, the craic is ninety. Sober people couldn't find craic in a crackhouse.

Life is all about experimenting.. You're just uptight. Now stop moping Harry Potter. This is Ireland. We drink and have a craic. Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Dr. Hesselius

I pointed out in another thread that the question is moot:
    Possession of cocaine cannot be legalised in Ireland since Ireland is a signatory to the single convention on narcotic drugs. Indeed, without a unilateral withdrawal from the convention (and all other associated and dependent agreements), practically no country can legalise cocaine possession.

It's a pointless discussion. The majority of "drugs" fall under the schedules of this treaty and hence cannot be legalised, regardless of whether some people think it's a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Just because we legalise drugs doesn't mean the problem will go away.

Should we legalise theft, murder and rape? No, because they are awful things.

Drugs are awful things to some. There is different reactions by different people. 1 in 10 users of Cannabis may debelop some form of mental illness. 1 in 5 users of ecstasy may suffer a heart attack. These of course aren't exact figures but what I am trying to portray is that there is an element of chance in the use of drugs. Some may suffer dadly consequences and therefore I think that they should not be legalised as no amount of "control" or "management" can stop the risk for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

No stay illegal too many harmful effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

daiixi wrote: »
    Hell yes. I'd much rather the government tax drugs, let people know exactly what they're buying and stop dealers dealing. If drugs were legalised all those people who don't do drugs would still continue to not do drugs and those people who do take drugs will be having a much safer experience.

have to agree with that.
    martin84 wrote: »
    I think some should. Maybe just hash. I think it would be great to be able to go down to your local Spar and say, Hi just the indo (compact edition) and a quarter? Cheers.

that would be nice...
    Timans wrote:
    1 in 10 users of Cannabis may debelop some form of mental illness.

thats just not true... mental health disorders levels have been at a consistent level of ~2% of the world populations for the last 50-60 years while users of Cannabis (both frequent and in-frequent) has risen at a huge rate. there has never been proven to be a link between the two...

maybe legalise anything below alcohol toxicity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

I fully support legalising drugs. The only qualms I would have would be that it is unethical to legally allow citizens to take socially destructive drugs like heroin, crystal meth etc. Yet, I think that keeping these illegal would simply encourage more to take the drugs if others had been decriminalised.

Consider prohibition in Chicago in the 1930's. It did not work, end of. Alcohol is a highly damaging drug, but crime rates increased with prohibition. I think this speaks for itself.
    If drugs were to be legalised they should only be available from pharmacies and existing headshops in Ireland could apply for a licence to sell. Advertising or branding of drugs would be outlawed. Drugs would only be available to the over 18's and HEAVY penalties inflicted on those caught selling to minors, or acting as couriers for minors. this may sound stupid, but I think a drug licence for consumers should also exist. Drugs require a lot research before consumption and a standardised exam, just like our driving tests would minimize health risks and make buyers aware of addiction potential.

Condensed, here are my arguments in favour of legalisation, feel free to disagree:
      Source of revenue for government
    [*]Huge decrease in street crime and could go to almost eliminate gang violence
    [/LIST]
    • Decrease in Hepatitis and HIV (clean needles)
    • Many drugs are less harmful than alcohol or cigarettes, it is unfair that these should be illegal
    • Drugs could be standardised and hospitalisation, deaths etc due to impure drugs would be minimised
    • Freeing up of Garda resources, create desperately needed space in prisons
    • The government could ensure users are responsible and informed about drug use, which is often not the case at present.

I don't believe that legalization would increase the number of people taking drugs. Access to drugs is easy for most. Illegality is highly unlikely to deter someone from using drugs, IMO

By the by, I always hear statistics that the vast majority of prison officers and Gardaí favour legalisation, anyone in said professions able to confirm?

You mean something like this?
    Thats working so far (yeah right).
    Firstly, I've never been given any leaflets with info like that when buying alcohol.

Secondly, that campaign isn't working as it's not realistic. It advises only having 3/4 standard drinks per night, which is not what people do, mainly because the effects of alcohol are not strong enough at such a low level.

For a campaign like that to work it has to be acknowledged that people WILL be drinking over the WHO's low risk limits. Trying to change people's drinking habits so radically is futile. What a campaign like that should do is try to stop people buying a load of drinks just before the bar closes or drinking themselves into comatose states.
    Why is having fun so demonised?

And what's so special about the normal way our brain functions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Nope. I'd like them to do away with alcohol and cigarettes too but if they're not going to do that I feel they should at least ban the advertisement of such products.

I can't imagine why anybody wants to take any of that stuff anyway.

Timans wrote: »
    Drugs are awful things to some. There is different reactions by different people. 1 in 10 users of Cannabis may debelop some form of mental illness. 1 in 5 users of ecstasy may suffer a heart attack. These of course aren't exact figures but what I am trying to portray is that there is an element of chance in the use of drugs. Some may suffer dadly consequences and therefore I think that they should not be legalised as no amount of "control" or "management" can stop the risk for some.
    Life is full of risks. Tbh, just because a tiny minority might suffer ill effects from taking drugs doesn't mean they should be illegal.

Also, please don't make up statistics. There is an element of chance in the use of drugs and we acknowledge that, but it's nothing close to the stats you've just made up there. 20% chance of a heart attack from taking E? You might want to check out the death toll from E induced heart attacks over the last 10 years, or indeed ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I stated in my post that those figures are made up. I don't know exact figures but what I am trying to say is that even if as little as 1 in 1000 people suffer terrible consequences from drugs, that's one too many and therefore I think drugs should remain illegal.

Advertisement