Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Man shot with air rifle in Finglas

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

TheDoc wrote: »
    cant acquire 5.56 calibre rounds....and o yeah, license are giving by a local Supers discretion, and if the local super doesnt want to, you dont get one.

I'll take my collection of "toy" guns of .22 shooters anyday thanks...

You know nothing about actual firearms..a superintendent can easily licence full-bore rifles up to Winchester .270( alot bigger than a 5.56 round).
    .223 rounds are commonly licenced and 9mm handgun ranges exist thoroughoutthe country.
    The fact is that you need to have an excuse to shoot real guns..ie be a member of a gun club or have permission to hunt..i have both and have two firearms.
    People who want to dress up as soldiers ad chase each other with guns will NOT receive licences because the superiintendent will correctly judge it to be immature behaviour.
    THAT is the reason that airsoft exists..its for people who dont want to hunt and are afraid to join the army.

mle1324 wrote: »
    You really have f all knowledge of what is being discussed here.

YOU DO NOT NEED A LICENSE TO OWN A AIRSOFT DEVICE.

And no we cant just shoot every one from Finglas,you obvisiously dont have any knowledge of Finglas if you are saying things like that and to me are just a troll:mad:

Listen to me.
    A pellet gun in colloquial language is a spring-loaded air-powered weapon that fires a waisted lead pellet and is treated like a firearm from th epoint of veiw of licencing..it fires a "pellet"..not a plastic bead.
    Airsoft "guns" are NOT pellet guns in the tradional meaning of the word.
    And as for m e having no knowledge of finglas....i'd insert a facepalm here if i could:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Degsy wrote: »
    You know nothing about actual firearms..a superintendent can easily licence full-bore rifles up to Winchester .270( alot bigger than a 5.56 round).
    .223 rounds are commonly licenced and 9mm handgun ranges exist thoroughoutthe country.
    The fact is that you need to have an excuse to shoot real guns..ie be a member of a gun club or have permission to hunt..i have both and have two firearms.
    People who want to dress up as soldiers ad chase each other with guns will NOT receive licences because the superiintendent will correctly judge it to be immature behaviour.
    THAT is the reason that airsoft exists..its for people who dont want to hunt and are afraid to join the army.

Your half right and half wrong there.
    Yes a .270 is a bigger bullet then a 5.56 but is is less effective as the .270 would most likley go threw a person unlike a 5.56/.223 witch will do more damage to a person as it at most times wont go threw a person unlike the .270 and the 7.62.
    This is one of the reasons why the British Army stopped using the FN FAL and now use the SA80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This is one of the reasons why the British Army stopped using the FN FAL and now use the SA80.

It was actually because the 5.56x45 was the new NATO standard round. The EM2 which led to the SA80 was in 7.62 from the start. But now we going way OT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There are currently in excess of 8 Guarda stations that have their own airsoft teams...so our police are all immature? Maybe they shouldn't be issued with uniforms for this childish behaviour?

You just ooze of that snob attitude that I get from real steel shooters because I play airsoft, that somehow I', dragging their hobby down into the mud, and that I'm an immature child.

Sorry if I find shooting targets a bit boring, I'd rather shoot something that shoots back, and employs a bit of actual physical activity.

Seriously your just making yourself look stupid here. So your telling me that real steel is for hunting only? And because I jsut dont find it entertaining or challenging to go hunt animals, that I'm a coward or something?

Or I'm afraid to join the army? Maybe perhaps I just didn't want to choose that path, maybe I just got lucky, that i could put myself through college, and wanted a job. Your comments hold no weight, not everyone is cut for the army, plus you cannot just walk into the army, health checks, medical checks, they use your BMI for **** sake as a tool to measure whether you are accepted or not, its not like BMI has been shown to be flawed for the last decade or so.

Your really not getting anywhere with your comments. Are you in the army? Are you a chicken for hunting animals that don't fight back, or targets that just stand static?

At big international events , 90% of the player abse are current or ex serving military, at a recent event I was at I had the pleasure to play alongside some currently serving irish military, israeli special forces, retired navy seals, Danish army, swedish army, british infantry and italian infantry.

If people like that accept me and my fellow irish players, and give us respect on an airsoft field, thats worth more then all your gun clubs put together, they are the guys that have gone through the ****, fought the ****, and bled in the ****....

I doubt they would be impressed because you can shoot a deer :/

And as far as me not knowing about firearms? Your right I really don't know everything there is to know about them, I definitely do not know how the irish licensing system works in full that's for sure. At the end of the day I play airsoft and work in the industry, so airsoft is all I'm required to know, but naturally that leads to me reading about real steel too. The newest technology, the newest rifles, new tactics at the likes, its just part of the reading I like to do, as I'm sure as a real teel user you like to read up on your hobbies developements. However I would say in my defence, that from some of the real steel shooters I see playing airsoft, or have watched in actual firing ranges, my gun discipline is ****ing lightyears ahead of some " real steel " shooters, I may only have a toy gun in my hand, but atleast I had the time to read up on gun discipline, just to add to my " nerdy" authenticity of my playstyle...and making sure I dont shoot someone in the face by accident.

(Referring to the story of a real steel shooter who would not shut up touting his mouth of about how airsoft is lame, that I was a child and immature and needed to shoot a real gun like a real men, the gentleman then proceeded to accidently discharge a round into the side of his firing booth.....)

• Advertisement

Listen to me.
    A pellet gun in colloquial language is a spring-loaded air-powered weapon that fires a waisted lead pellet and is treated like a firearm from th epoint of veiw of licencing..it fires a "pellet"..not a plastic bead.
    And as for m e having no knowledge of finglas....i'd insert a facepalm here if i could:rolleyes:

first things first,for the benefit of this thread if we are talking about a Airsoft Device make it clear that it is an airsoft device you talking about and same with a pellet gun.

And the finglas was not directed at you.

It was actually because the 5.56x45 was the new NATO standard round. The EM2 which led to the SA80 was in 7.62 from the start. But now we going way OT.

your right we are this thread is about a post man getting shot in finglas by a Airgun.
    I finished here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Balls.
    Most air pistols wouldnt penetrate a peice of cardboard at 10 feet.
    Lethal my arse...

:rolleyes:

Indicates you know nothing about fire arms.
    Got proof of that figure?

Speaking of proof, you got any proof of any of your claims? :rolleyes:
    You do know that you need a firearms certificate for an actual pellet gun?

:rolleyes: another indicator that you know absolutely nothing about fire arms... nothing at all.

It seems that you know absolutely nothing about fireamrs. You think you know a lot, but you don't. Stop lying to yourself. Leave the safety of your library, take your head out of the books and get some real life experience.

Airsoft is a great sport. I know people in it, that have served overseas, seen real combat... How can anybody be so ignorant as to claim that there is only ONE reason for doing something?

You would also know why a 5.56mm round is not allowed. People do not have legal guns that hold this round.

It's hard to believe that you have firearms. Certain people should not be allowed to own firearms... :rolleyes:
    Listen to me.

You still know nothing about firearms... :)

You are branding all air guns and pellet guns as the same things, they are not... Some need licences, some do not.

You are reserving the word "pellet" to being made of lead only, this is wrong. Go look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

airsoft is toy guns, sure they are realistic but they're toys.
    i have been in fights between groups where darts were thrown were darts banned? no because they are not the problem the thrower is the problem.Same with drunks, drunks are a huge waste of time and effort for cops, bouncers, taxi drivers , nurses etc., but do we ban cdrink or try to enforce a realistic amount of responaabaility on people? do we hell. Degsey reckons that being attacked with a gun is worse than with a knife , i don't agree and i doubt his associates that were scared to return to work by a gun woul;d have been less scared by someone wielding a 12" butchers knife, but i was attacked by two lads in a car once, they acually tried repeatedly to run me down.

the airsoft community have looked at the problem of people misusing airsoft and tho i don't always agree withthe community my only critisim of the leaders of said community has always been that they want more rules more punishment and they reccomend we subject ourselves to more scrutiny than i feel is appropriate for the growth of the game.

finially i'm sure its been said before on this thread but if yer man the postie had been shot by an airsoft gun then i cant see how it would draw blood. far more likley it was a catapault tbh.

:rolleyes:

Indicates you know nothing about fire arms.

Speaking of proof, you got any proof of any of your claims? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: another indicator that you know absolutely nothing about fire arms... nothing at all.

It seems that you know absolutely nothing about fireamrs. You think you know a lot, but you don't. Stop lying to yourself. Leave the safety of your library, take your head out of the books and get some real life experience.

Airsoft is a great sport. I know people in it, that have served overseas, seen real combat... How can anybody be so ignorant as to claim that there is only ONE reason for doing something?

You would also know why a 5.56mm round is not allowed. People do not have legal guns that hold this round.

It's hard to believe that you have firearms. Certain people should not be allowed to own firearms... :rolleyes:

You still know nothing about firearms... :)

You are branding all air guns and pellet guns as the same things, they are not... Some need licences, some do not.

You are reserving the word "pellet" to being made of lead only, this is wrong. Go look it up.

Know plenty about firearms,i've been shooting since i was four,am a member of a rifle club and a shooting ground and i hold two legal firearms certificates for which i have permission to shoot over a combined total of over 400 acres.
    You know where you can stick your rolleyes.

• Advertisement

Your half right and half wrong there.
    Yes a .270 is a bigger bullet then a 5.56 but is is less effective as the .270 would most likley go threw a person unlike a 5.56/.223 witch will do more damage to a person as it at most times wont go threw a person unlike the .270 and the 7.62.

Gibberish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

If it looks like a gun, ban it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Know plenty about firearms,i've been shooting since i was four,am a member of a rifle club and a shooting ground and i hold two legal firearms certificates for which i have permission to shoot over a combined total of over 400 acres.
    You know where you can stick your rolleyes.

So? You own two guns. A gun licence is easier to get than a provisional driving licence. You have to do SFA to get a gun licence. Possessing the gun doesn't automatically gear you with the knowledge in all aspects of firearms, which you have clearly indicated to everyone.
    Gibberish.

Gibberish is what you speak degsy.

If you knew anything about bullet designs... mle1324 speaks the truth. You just speculate and assume... :rolleyes:

So? You own two guns. A gun licence is easier to get than a provisional driving licence. You have to do SFA to get a gun licence. Possessing the gun doesn't automatically gear you with the knowledge in all aspects of firearms, which you have clearly indicated to everyone.

Gibberish is what you speak degsy.

If you knew anything about bullet designs... mle1324 speaks the truth. You just speculate and assume... :rolleyes:

Tell me what this means Mr Expert

"Yes a .270 is a bigger bullet then a 5.56 but is is less effective as the .270 would most likley go threw a person unlike a 5.56/.223 witch will do more damage to a person as it at most times wont go threw a person unlike the .270 and the 7.62."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There is a woeful lack of understanding of ballistics, firearms and their licensing in Ireland here. More to the point, it's all utterly irrelevant.

Tell me what this means Mr Expert

"Yes a .270 is a bigger bullet then a 5.56 but is is less effective as the .270 would most likley go threw a person unlike a 5.56/.223 witch will do more damage to a person as it at most times wont go threw a person unlike the .270 and the 7.62."

Ok,i'll put it this way.
    Two soliders ect ect are fighting against a group are terrorists in a close quarter battle.one man has a gun with a 7.62 and the other has a 5.56.
    If the fella with the 7.62 was to shoot a bad guy the bullet would just go straight threw him.Now if the falla with the 5.56 was to shoot the bad guy the chances are it wont go threw him as it is a smaller bullet and will be much more life thrething as in it will have a better chance of killing the bad guy.
    And like Doc said you cant get 5.56 rounds as they are more letal unlike a .270 and 7.62

I am finish with this thread as it has gone way too of topic.

Ok,i'll put it this way.
    Two soliders ect ect are fighting against a group are terrorists in a close quarter battle.one man has a gun with a 7.62 and the other has a 5.56.
    If the fella with the 7.62 was to shoot a bad guy the bullet would just go straight threw him.Now if the falla with the 5.56 was to shoot the bad guy the chances are it wont go threw him as it is a smaller bullet and will be much more life thrething as in it will have a better chance of killing the bad guy.
    And like Doc said you cant get 5.56 rounds as they are more letal unlike a .270 and 7.62

I am finish with this thread as it has gone way too of topic.

Oh sweet jesus this is painfull..been in a lot of FIBUA siituations have you,Walt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Oh sweet jesus this is painfull..been in a lot of FIBUA siituations have you,Walt?

Oh you're gonna regret that. You'll be walking home tonight and a car will slowly come alongside. Due to your lack of close protection training you won't notice. The window will slowly wind down. The muzzle of an MP5 will slide into view. Then POP POP. Two plastic balls to your head. Then in a screech of tyres the car will be gone and you'll be left bleedin'. . .

confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Sir Molle:
    If it looks like a gun, ban it.

The point is that someone intent on committing an armed crime will do so with whatever gives them an advantage. If airguns exist they might use them, if they’re removed they’ll probably use something around the same price tag, as I afore mentioned the 9 inch skull slicing kitchen knife!
    So in fact by banning such devices you just prevent innocent users enjoying the product, and endanger victims of crime as the substitute weapon will probably be capable of greater damage. BTW, I’ve never used an airgun, and have no vested interest in protecting them.
    Take the ban on knives in the 90’s, did knife crime stop, did it reduce? No, traceable, prize possession stiletto knives, unlikely to be actually used, more likely to be a threat alone, were no longer available and were substituted for the disposable, longer, thinner, sharper kitchen knives, costing €2-3, and more likely to be used and dumped. Slashing with a blunt hunting knife pre-90 might be deflected by clothing, try deflecting a serrated kitchen knife and see if you escape without nerve damage?
    So although bans may placate the unknowledgeable public, I argue that they in fact endanger them further.
    As the saying goes, guns don’t kill, people do! In the case of air guns they cannot even kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So? You own two guns. A gun licence is easier to get than a provisional driving licence.
    Hardly, when I tried to get a gun licence it became a long dragged out thing and the cops wouldn't give me one. So I ran him down in my fully licensed car.

I think Degsy should go airsofting. I think he'd love shooting at all of ye and visa versa. :p

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Hardly, when I tried to get a gun licence it became a long dragged out thing and the cops wouldn't give me one. So I ran him down in my fully licensed car.

I think Degsy should go airsofting. I think he'd love shooting at all of ye and visa versa. :p

Yeah shooting since he was four, I'd say he will be a ****ing hawk eye shooter...until we start to move..and he cant hit ****...

Since when this debate about airsoft become a pissing contest about who can shoot who? It's a tad bit immature, but then again, so is running around in a field pretending to be soldiers. Nobody has come up with an argument with any weight in it as to why airsoft weapons should not be banned.

Sir Molle wrote: »
    Since when this debate about airsoft become a pissing contest about who can shoot who? It's a tad bit immature, but then again, so is running around in a field pretending to be soldiers. Nobody has come up with an argument with any weight in it as to why airsoft weapons should not be banned.

Yes there is....

Indigenous firms employing staff prospering in a poor economic climate.
    Providing safe and social physical activity that has no boundries for race/colour/nationality.

ugh I'm tired of feeding the trolls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

A ban of Airsoft devices would be a law that only affects law-abiding citizens in the course of their sport and/or hobby, and nobody else.

Armed robberies will continue to happen, just with something else. You're just reducing the selection of available improvised tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Because they're fun, I like having fun. I hate baby's who want the world wrapped in cotton wool to protect the idiots and stupid from them selfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 zGeek

cotton wool? i wonder what quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I'd prefer to be held up by a toy gun that looks like it's capable of inflicting damage rather than a syringe that most certainly is capable. Either way I'm not going to fight to hold onto what's insured.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    A ban of Airsoft devices would be a law that only affects law-abiding citizens in the course of their sport and/or hobby, and nobody else.

Armed robberies will continue to happen, just with something else. You're just reducing the selection of available improvised tools.
    Sure, they can use a knife or a club of some sort, but if you're using a gun or something that looks like a gun they're going to be more confident about it and scare a lot more people.

But that's besides the point, airsoft weapons pose a threat to society because they're too easily available and its too easy for the wrong people to get them and misuse them. This can be anyone from kids or people who go around firing them at people or people using them in crimes or acts of aggression. It doesn't really matter how they are being misused

A ban on airsoft would affect the law-abiding citizens who are a relatively small number of people, but it would also remove the risk of the wrong people getting them which is worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And since when did a thread about a postman being shot with an air rifle in Finglas turn into a discussion about airsoft..?

They really do have nothing to do with each other.

• Advertisement

Sure, they can use a knife or a club of some sort, but if you're using a gun or something that looks like a gun they're going to be more confident about it and scare a lot more people.

But that's besides the point, airsoft weapons pose a threat to society because they're too easily available and its too easy for the wrong people to get them and misuse them. This can be anyone from kids or people who go around firing them at people or people using them in crimes or acts of aggression. It doesn't really matter how they are being misused.

Guns aren't getting as intimidating as they seem any more. Sure, anyone will freak out when they see a gun pointed at their head but people are slowly adapting to violence now. In fact, Ireland is probably going to get an award in the next twenty years time for 'worst average citizen panic when any type of projectile or object subdued to violence.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

connundrum wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0714/anpost.html

Heard about this on the news. I know that there are a lot of things going on, but this is taking the piss. Now we've to start issuing bullet-proof vests to Posties?!

Up till now all they had to worry about was rabid dogs and randy housewives.

Fuckin scum

Must the the rescission, it a sad day if criminals cannot afford a proper gun and real bullets.

thats one more + to the economic crisis den :)

zGeek wrote: »
    Guns aren't getting as intimidating as they seem any more. Sure, anyone will freak out when they see a gun pointed at their head but people are slowly adapting to violence now. In fact, Ireland is probably going to get an award in the next twenty years time for 'worst average citizen panic when any type of projectile or object subdued to violence.'
    Yeah, getting a gun pointed at you, replica or not, is pretty normal now in Ireland...

Yeah, getting a gun pointed at you, replica or not, is pretty normal now in Ireland...

peps in Ireland will get used to it splendedly, it would be like a daily routine (if it already isn't), like going shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Ok,i'll put it this way.

Must..... resist...... but..... can't.....

......I am on your side in this argument mle1324, but it has to be said, what you said there is indeed total BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

There is a woeful lack of understanding of ballistics, firearms and their licensing in Ireland here. More to the point, it's all utterly irrelevant.

A - fúcking - men...

Must..... resist...... but..... can't.....

......I am on your side in this argument mle1324, but it has to be said, what you said there is indeed total BS.

Thats what happen when you garner your knowledeg of firearms from books,films and gatherings of people who dont have any.

I've seen what happens when a .270 round hits an adult deer and it most assuredly IS lethal,as are ALL hunting rounds and military cartridges.

Armies dont spend millions on equipping thier soldiers with weapons that wont kill the guy on the other side and this goes all the way back to the ball musket.
    One of my original points in relation to airsofters is that they profess to be experts in real firearms as a result of reading about them and waving replicas of them around...no siree,it doesnt work like that and you can TELL when somebody doesnt know what they're talking about if you actually have been shooting as opposed to talking about it.

Your just tarring everyone with the same brush, some airsofters would know more then anyone else, because a large proportion of airsofters are current/ex military, real steel shooters, armourers, weapon specialists, ex special forces and the likes, the list goes on and on.

Anyone that has no military experience , has gathered there knowledge second,third and fourth hand, and from books and the internet and films, lets not lie about it.

If we need expert opinions on handguns, .22 rifles and anything that is available to the irish shooter, then yeah cool.

But by the same train of thought, anyone who talks about anything other then this is just a bull****ter, who thinks they know it all cause they shoot stationary targets or deer : /

TheDoc wrote: »
    Your just brandishing everyone with the same brush, some airsofters would know more then anyone else, because a large proportion of airsofters are current/ex military, real steel shooters, armourers, weapon specialists, ex special forces and the likes, the list goes on and on.

Anyone that has no military experience , has gathered there knowledge second,third and fourth hand, and from books and the internet and films, lets not lie about it.

If we need expert opinions on handguns, .22 rifles and anything that is available to the irish shooter, then yeah cool.

But by the same train of thought, anyone who talks about anything other then this is just a bull****ter, who thinks they know it all cause they shoot stationary targets or deer : /
    lmao

"im in teh special forces so stfu noob"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Avoiding Work

Je$u$ Chri$t lads give it a rest will ya?!!

The thread was about the postie not a testosterone fuelled BS word war about pellets -V- airsoft or wtf :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Anyone can build a replica from scratch with scrap metal, wood, paint and some basic tools. A toy gun bought from a toy shop could likewise be modified into something "real" enough to convince a terrified lay-person.

There is no case for banning air soft devices, and Degsy as a firearm owner you shame yourself with your posts in this thread. Your attitude is typical of the people behind the unjust firearms legislation being pushed through right now. Your insulting of airsoft owners, calling them nerds and walter mittys, is no different from the tree huggers calling you a bambi killer or sadist or whatever. Get some perspective.

Article in the star today said he was close to been crippled...serious ****....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

After reading all this drivel, I have come to the conclusion that I must revise previously held views on certain longstanding boards.ie posters of the BGRH persuasion, appearing to be complete cvnts as it were.

That is the only thing that has come out of this thread as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Won't somebody think of the postman?
    I've had enough. It's just descended into a slagging match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement