Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calling Leap Day babies

• 14-07-2009 5:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any other Leap Day babies on boards? I wouldn't normally openly admit to being born on Feb 29 but on here its fine :) Would be cool to talk to other people who share my odd birthday and find out their feelings about it. I was recently reading some interesting facts about Leap Years online. For example, in Britain, up to the mid-19th century, any person born on a Leap Day could not legally own property and was not allowed to vote :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's true, you're not allowed to own property or vote till you're over 18 like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

grenache wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally openly admit to being born on Feb 29 but on here its fine :)

Why not? Are you ashamed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Cool, I didn't think I'd live long enough to witness the official "most boring topic of all time".
    Hello Mr kettle

For example, in Britain, up to the mid-19th century, any person born on a Leap Day could not legally own property and was not allowed to vote :eek:

Were they considered to be female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

For example, in Britain, up to the mid-19th century, any person born on a Leap Day could not legally own property and was not allowed to vote :eek:
    You don't really believe that do you?:p

• Advertisement

Someone doesn't understand the difference between starting a topic and asking a question. :rolleyes:
    Tell me about it:
    Just wondering if there are any other Leap Day babies on boards?

:rolleyes:

Someone doesn't understand the difference between starting a topic and asking a question. :rolleyes:

Jeez, you're a bag of fun.

Someone doesn't seem to understand that most topics on this site are questions.

Edit: Dammit, in after Keira ;).

WindSock wrote: »
    Jeez, you're a bag of fun.

Someone doesn't seem to understand that most topics on this site are questions.

Edit: Dammit, in after Keira ;).
    Great minds, Windy ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What? Born on Feb 29?

Ewww

So you're like only 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

What? Born on Feb 29?

Ewww

So you're like only 7?

ibS

(in before Snyper)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I was hoping this thread had something to do with motorcycle jumps and babies. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Didn't these people get put in Leaper Colonies in the 19th century?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Zig and Zag were born on the 29th, weren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have a little cousin born on Feb 29th. Her dad is born Feb 29h too. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

WindSock wrote: »
    Why not? Are you ashamed?
    Certainly not. Just fed up of answering the 64,000 questions people ask me about it. And when i was younger, i left myself open to slagging, mainly to people who were very stuck for slagging material.

Kiera wrote: »
    Tell me about it:

:rolleyes:
    Trolls forum that way - - - - - - - - - > >

Certainly not. Just fed up of answering the 64,000 questions people ask me about it. And when i was younger, i left myself open to slagging, mainly to people who were very stuck for slagging material.

You're only annoyed because you only got a birthday present every four years.

We saved loads of money in our family, because my mother was also born on 29th February.:D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You're only annoyed because you only got a birthday present every four years.

We saved loads of money in our family, because my mother was also born on 29th February.:D
    What lovely children you were ;):D No what annoys me is that i dont have a day to call my own, something everyone else has every year, its funny how people take it for granted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Interestingly, what is your official, legal, birthdate?

Do you choose Feb 28th, or 1st March or something?

What lovely children you were ;):D No what annoys me is that i dont have a day to call my own, something everyone else has every year, its funny how people take it for granted.

If it didn't happen to be a leap year, she always seemed to be looking for something from us on 1st March. After some time arguing the toss, and telling her that wasn't her birthday, we were so overcome with guilt we had to go and buy her something.:(

The people that I feel sorry for are the ones born a week either side of Christmas.

• Advertisement

Interestingly, what is your official, legal, birthdate?

Do you choose Feb 28th, or 1st March or something?
    Feb 29th is my official legal birthdate! I wasn't born on the 28th or 1st. No i choose Feb 29th and nothing in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If it didn't happen to be a leap year, she always seemed to be looking for something from us on 1st March. After some time arguing the toss, and telling her that wasn't her birthday, we were so overcome with guilt we had to go and buy her something.:(

The people that I feel sorry for are the ones born a week either side of Christmas.

Life is tough for us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

A Neurotic wrote: »

sucks to be you!

A Neurotic wrote: »

Poor downtrodden soul, living a life of abject misery. I can see why you're an official worrier.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Feb 29th is my official legal birthdate! I wasn't born on the 28th or 1st. No i choose Feb 29th and nothing in between.

so when would you like have a birthday party and get presents? :P dont tell me every 4 years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

So every once in a while we should acknowledge you lot then? Does that mean the rest of the time you should be hidden from the world?

Sounds fair to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

here's a list of boardsies who had birthdays on last leap year

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2008-2-29&c=1

you can go talk among yourselves,wierdos.

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

wudangclan wrote: »
    here's a list of boardsies who had birthdays on last leap year

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/calendar.php?do=getinfo&day=2008-2-29&c=1

you can go talk among yourselves,wierdos.

-

Probably not the best idea.

Keep them separated I say,
    God knows what evil plot's they could come up with if they are put in touch with each other..

I hear they're worse than Gingers :eek:

so when would you like have a birthday party and get presents? :P dont tell me every 4 years!!!
    Birthday parties are kids. Presents whenever, not really bothered. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Birthday parties are kids. Presents whenever, not really bothered. :)

no going out at nighttime to celebrate or nothing??

no going out at nighttime to celebrate or nothing??
    Not the three years in-between no. There's no actual birthday to celebrate. Although i do tend to let loose when the 29th does come around.

*So i'm to take it due to the lack of response, that i am indeed the only Leaper on boards. What a priviledge :cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It's true, you're not allowed to own property or vote till you're over 18 like the rest of us.
    18 birthdays BTW
    in case any of you born since 1940 think you are entitled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Wazdakka wrote:
    I hear they're worse than Gingers

Life is tough for us, too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

OMG does this mean you only get pressies every few years:eek: You poor thing:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I hear they're worse than Gingers :eek:
    maybe some are ginger :eek: and left handed :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

And being an anti werewolf :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

And have attached ear-lobes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

So do people celebrate their birthday on 28 Feb or 1 Mar each year when you are born on 29 Feb.... I am actually curious....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Not2Good wrote: »
    So do people celebrate their birthday on 28 Feb or 1 Mar each year when you are born on 29 Feb.... I am actually curious....!

Holy thread bump. Those leap year babies are a year older now man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Just celebrate your birthday according to a different calendar, so for instance you could celebrate it every three years by the Chinese calendar or every 2.73 years by the Hijri calendar. The Jewish calendar would probably be the best bet with a leap year every 2.71 years.

Changing to the Jewish calendar would also have the benefit of immediately travelling way into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

All terribly clever replies... thanks guys, but when do you celebrate each year when you are born on 29 Feb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

All terribly clever replies... thanks guys, but when do you celebrate each year when you are born on 29 Feb?
    Well it's not going to be in June now is it?

The 28th of Feb, the 1st of March or once every 4 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

If it were me I'd choose the 60th day of the year.

Advertisement