Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Peared Question Pt II

Options
  • 06-03-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

So you know those lights you see on graves, where would I get those? Would they be a garden centre kind of thing or is there somewhere in particular that one can purchase grave accessories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

People put lights on graves?:eek::eek:

I hate graveyards I only ever go to bury people I never go back after that

but lights on graves:eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They're not lights, they're actually tiny little alien space ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

any place that does headstones and a few funeral directors do them too. might even be worth trying a florist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Was going to say florist too....I know the ones you're talking about, think they're quite nice. Hope you get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Um... You get them from graves? It's not as if the corpse is using it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yes Rob they do! Its not as spooky as it sounds. Its kind of comforting I think, because you dont think of your loved one as being in the dark. I know there are a million different opinions about what death means and sure how would they know if it was dark etc but I think grab any comfort you can get when you are grieving.

Anyway.. florists.. good call, wouldnt have thought of that. Thanks peoples.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Peared wrote: »
    So you know those lights you see on graves, where would I get those?
    Good Lord! O_O

I foresee a whole new crop of "ghosts in the graveyard" stories cropping up in Ireland in the near future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Was looking for them myself recently. Got them on o'connell street, there is this weird little christian shop by the tourist office, not far from Savoy, you can get some there. Not much choice though, I think 2 kinds only.

You can also try polish shops, we put them on the graves on 1st November, but some of the bigger shops stock permanently

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I seen them in pound shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

get a disco ball while youre at it, couldnt be any tackier

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I put a shiny disco ball an the aul fellas there a while back. Whats he gonna do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Just take them off someone elses grave - problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I saw a grave with a wee christmas tree on it there 10/11 weeks ago.
    Talk about rubbing it in.

It is a nice idea about the light though.
    My wife hates the dark and sleeps with the hall light on, so its kind of a nice thing to do isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

some nice respectful comments there:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cathkins

Definately have them in most florists and also in shops like Veritas! They're a nice idea feeling of giving comfort for a loved one just like putting flowers on grave at different times of the year! A christmas tree on grave is abit much to be honest but each to their own! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bling out your dead.... Bling out your dead....
    (Sorry :o)

(Not, actually, not a bit sorry :D)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Cathkins wrote: »
    A christmas tree on grave is abit much to be honest but each to their own! :)

I thought so too.
    It wasn't a big 8 footer now dripping with decorations from Brown Thomas, but it was kind of odd.
    Then again, maybe a wee child wanted to put it there for their Mammy or Daddy or Granny or Sister or something.
    The more I think about it, the more I think it's actually quite nice.
    I'm a sentimental freak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

ojewriej wrote: »
    ...weird little christian shop...

I'll have three Presbyterians, a couple of Anglicans and a bag of Baptists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Cathkins

That little shop on O'Connell is eeery gives me the creeps for some reason! :o

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    I saw a grave with a wee christmas tree on it there 10/11 weeks ago.
    Talk about rubbing it in.

It is a nice idea about the light though.
    My wife hates the dark and sleeps with the hall light on, so its kind of a nice thing to do isn't it?

Thats exactly it Mikey. And imagine you had a child there. Regardless, I will repeat what I posted earlier which is that people take comfort from where that can and one or two boards kids thinking its tacky means sh*t all.

To the others who answered-ta.

To the poster who wondered if I knew of the great world of google-indeedin I do but was hoping to pick something up in next day or 2 so no time to buy online. Irish search dont throw up much.

To the poster who wondered if I knew of the great world of google-indeedin I do but was hoping to pick something up in next day or 2 so no time to buy online. Irish search dont throw up much.

oh but it did OP I was able to find this site fourth result on the page
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIE239IE239&q=lights+for+grave&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE
    http://www.graveproducts.ie/index.html
    when on that site I clicked
    wait for it
    wait for it

"Stockists"
    when I then further clicked my location in Ireland it told me of places that sold their products .

Thusly I could then say to myself "jobs a good un"

Rob I admire your dedication, really I do.

For one who was running screaming from the scary lit up graves only yesterday you seem to have taken a good n proper interest in this subject.

Only to contradict me it would seem but how and ever.

In response (and I thank you for your sterling googling work) I did come across that website and the stockists. However none of those locations are places I can reach during opening hours in the next few days. Hence me asking about more general places like garden centres etc.

Rob I admire your dedication, really I do.

For one who was running screaming from the scary lit up graves only yesterday you seem to have taken a good n proper interest in this subject.

Only to contradict me it would seem but how and ever.

In response (and I thank you for your sterling googling work) I did come across that website and the stockists. However none of those locations are places I can reach during opening hours in the next few days. Hence me asking about more general places like garden centres etc.

I'll do almost anything to prove people wrong:D

cjt156 wrote: »
    I'll have three Presbyterians, a couple of Anglicans and a bag of Baptists.

Ha. Very Monty Python :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Cathkins wrote: »
    That little shop on O'Connell is eeery gives me the creeps for some reason! :o

I know exactly what you mean. Needed a candle though, and didn't know where else i could get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Its kind of comforting I think, because you dont think of your loved one as being in the dark.

Surely the light should go in the coffin then?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Surely the light should go in the coffin then?

SMART ARSE :D

How are these lights powered? Battery presumably?

Some are battery powered, some are solar powered from what I can see.

D'ya know if somebody had said it to me before I had seen them I probably would have thought it was tacky. But they are quite gentle really and they actually make the graveyards look..well..a bit less cold and scary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement