Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rural Community Broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

The link doesnt work ..but i checked out the aramiska site - its effectively 2way satellite broadband - which does have its limitations.

In any event, you can setup one way sat broadband via europe online / cpsat / netsystem or 2 way via digiweb - without having to go through a local group scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

This is the Link I think you mean Justice, Click Here

Community Broadband From Aramiska

Effectively it is unlimited 2048/512 (thats what they say) for UK£375 a Month EX VAT which is a bit over €500 a Month EX Vat . It will be quite slow in many ways but excellent for Browsing and Mail.. It is also substantially cheaper than a 512/512 Leased line in Rural areas, that would cost €1500-1800 a Month in the first year.

Installation is about €700 ex vat.

Eircom will only charge €165 a month EX VAT for 2048/256 ADSL from March which will actually seem much faster than the nominally faster Sat uplink. It also comes with unlimited usage.

Self Install €82 ex vat

I am not a fan of 2 way VSAT save in the middle of the Sahara where there REALLY is no alternative . If there was any way to do it I'd use an ADSL and Wireless Link combination , far less hassle if it breaks down.

These VSAT fellas can takle weeks to show up (EG after a storm when the dish gets out of whack) and charge about €500 a day minimum , all for straightening a dish out.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

ta Muck,

umm, i know what you mean by Satalite and its standard deficiencies.
    as a gamer one of the primary things for me is Latency, but as i uderstand it this product does not have that problem.

the product spec im refering to is Click here
    that lead me to the Aramiska site where i noticed the community product (link provided by muck above). im not sure if ye read all the details guys but here is a quote from one of their news promos
    The rural community broadband service is available immediately and only requires a ‘trigger level’ of 15 people to make installation economically viable. The service is based on a 12 month contract with an initial installation fee of £149 and an ongoing monthly charge of £29.99 a month per household

btw price in sterling

thats what really attracted my attention. and the fact that latency may not be an issue. (i had checked out digiweb, but as a gamer, well it just dont suit me, plus a bit pricey as well)

Originally posted by Justice
    ta Muck,

umm, i know what you mean by Satalite and its standard deficiencies.
    as a gamer one of the primary things for me is Latency, but as i uderstand it this product does not have that problem.

Duuuuuu00000000000000De

When the sat is in geostationary orbit it is 22000 miles away up there and aother 22000 back to the ground station and then routers and stuff.

22,000Miles +22,000 = 44,000 . Light travels at 160,000 Miles a second some 4 times faster than that.

The latency of the uplink is therefore 250ms + switching delays in the sat and then whetever the internet does to it afterwards on its way to the server or peer

Then the same 250ms and the rest on the way back to you. Being generous we should say 250+250+50 = 550ms minimum ping .

You CANNOT have VSAT without delays because you 'cannae change the laws of physics cap'n' At least with a one way sat and isdn/friaco arrangement you only get 1x 250ms hop per above not two. I commented on this in the BB forum this week in a thread on one way sats and stuff.

M

once again, ta muck.

im no expert in Communications so thats why i posted here.

i admit it did sound too bloody good. but as for price, its certainly cheaper than Digiwebs satalite service.
    /me goes back to drawing boards.ie

• Advertisement

Where are you anyway, on the north face of Tory Island ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

In terms of satellite internet, Aramiska provide what is probably the best (and fastest) service out there. Unlike others, they fully support VPN's, VoIP, etc.. However, forget about it for gaming (minimum latency quoted is 400ms, and I think in reality you will see around 550 with them). As muck said, laws of physics. You can't change 'em.

Aramiska also have several transponders from what I know, and use an open standard for the return channel, so it is actually very fast compared to the others. But again, latency will kill online gaming. If yer in the middle of nowhere, fine. If not, get something like business ADSL instead, and use one or two wireless PtP links to get it where it's needed.

i live in Kildare, and my local exchange has been upgraded and i live less than 3.5 K from the exchange but i still fail the line test.

i may as well be in the middle of nowhere.

You should have Fixed Wireless fairly soon if you live along(ish) the N7 East of Kildare town . Digiweb and Leap come to mind . Mail them and ask them what their 3.5Ghz plans are for your area.

Then there is the Community DIY alternative, see the Group Data Scheme outlines Here and also see if there is an Irishwan Affiliate in your area with who you can team up.

You could even plan a hybrid where the backhaul to your local community is 3.5Ghz from the Wireless Carriers while you use a local WAN to disperse it . Amother hybrid is to geta mate in the nearby town to host ADSL and haul that out your way by wireless.

If you were on the North Face of Tory I could arrive at the conclusion that 2 way VSAT is probably the only bet for ya but it just ain't . The policy environment in Ireland is changing rapidly and will favour self help , financially as well as technically , by the end of the year.

M

ta muck.

the wireless sounds good, however as you say, its a wait and See.

• Advertisement
Advertisement