Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me train my Patterdale

Options
  • 24-11-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I have a year old semi-rough coat male patterdale. He is a great dog with loads of energy, and despite the breed’s reputation as being a hunter is extremely gentle and good with my family. I walk/run him and our other dog most days, and he has a huge fenced back yard to play in but lately I have noticed some behavioral problems. I don’t hunt with him, he is just a pet but we have a farm and he's handy with the rats!!

I managed to train him to fetch, sit, stay and come back (most of the time), all of which I am told are no mean feat with a Patterdale.

Lately however he is staring to come back less and always pulls on the lead. I always noticed that when you scolded him for being bold he just sat there like he didn’t care! I don’t want to smack him but how to I encourage him to come every time I call him. I can’t afford to have him run off and attack another dog. I have already had an incident. Thankfully the other dog’s owner was sound.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You should never scold/punish a dog when it comes back to you, even if it's been ignoring you, because it will just equate going back to you with punishment, and will be less likely to come when you call.

I don't quite know what you mean by 'scolding', but if you don't catch him in the act of misbehaving there's no point scolding or correcting at all because he won't know what you're giving out to him for.

I'd recommend attending obedience classes to improve his recall, but you may have to just accept that sometimes terriers will ignore you if they think they have good reason to, good reason ranging from chasing rats to 'because I don't want to'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

+1 for the obidience classes - they'll teach you how to work with him and how to get him to listen to you.

For the recall it's important that you give him a high value treat and loads of praise when he (eventually) comes back - even if he's not coming back the first time and never call him back in an angry voice. I got into a habit of holding his treat with my hand to my chest almost under my chin if that makes sense - when I call him I always hold my hand like that and he knows I have something for him. Practice all the time - at home, taking a few steps away from him when he's on the lead etc etc you want him to know that running back to you is a greater reward than whatever he's up to. Also it's better to use a command - come/come here/here etc and not his name - sometimes they can associate their name with being told off - eg they do something bold "Ah <insert name> noooooooooooooo bold dog!!" :D

For pulling on the lead try starting from the beginning ie - they pull, you stop, when the lead is slack you give praise/treat and carry on and after a few steps of walking with the lead loose you praise/treat. We use a sense-ation harness and I find it brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

thanks, Ill try get him booked in to some classes. It should be a laugh anyway. I have no doubt he'll enjoy being around other dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It is good fun :D Our guy LOVES it - his tail wags the whole time!! :pac:

Advertisement