Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we get a second cat?

Options
  • 21-11-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're the proud slaves to a 1.5 year old female cat - she's an indoor/outdoor kitty and appears to be quite happy with her little routine.

However we have thought about getting a second cat or kitten as company for her, but really can't decide if this would stress her out more than its worth. Would also hate to have 2 cats who hate each other!

What have been your experiences when integrating new cats with existing ones ...what should we do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Glowing wrote: »
    Hi, we're the proud slaves to a 1.5 year old female cat - she's an indoor/outdoor kitty and appears to be quite happy with her little routine.

However we have thought about getting a second cat or kitten as company for her, but really can't decide if this would stress her out more than its worth. Would also hate to have 2 cats who hate each other!

What have been your experiences when integrating new cats with existing ones ...waht should we do?

I wouldn't cats are territorial animals and if they are not raised together can get very very violent towards one another. The general practice taught in UCD Veterinary is not to recommend it, according to my housemate!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Cats are territorial but that isn't to say they dont like company. We rescue a lot of strays and they live in house with us until we rehome them. We have three residents though and one of them is probably the most tolerant cat I've ever met. He mothers every single stray cat and kitten that we bring in, even if they hiss at him, he still curls up beside them and grooms them (no one can stay mad at him for long:D). Our second cat will hiss at a newcomer at first, but about ten minutes later he's playing with them. Some cats are tolerant, some are not. What you need to find out is if your cat will accept a new cat. If you know anyone who has an indoor cat as well, you could try introducing the pair and seeing how she reacts. The best thing really is gradual introduction; ten minutes at a time, then seperate the cats into different rooms. And always give the resident cat more attention than the newcomer. I assume she's spayed? I've found neutered males tend to be better company to females than another female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Glowing wrote: »

What have been your experiences when integrating new cats with existing ones ...what should we do?

Hey, we got our cat two years ago,she was quite happy, indoor/outdoor cat like yours.
    Then in the summer we were offered a kitten, we took him in, kept him away from our other cat for a while so he could get used to the place.
    When they were introduced though, our original cat was not happy!:pac:
    They fought for about two days, well not so much fought as avoided each other but now they're they get on great.

Then again in August a friend found a kitten beside his dead mother, we had to take him in of course. The situation was fairly different this time because he was quite feral, they didn't get on at first again but now they're all fine, all three of them get on great.

So if you want another cat get then get one, just know that they mightn't get on at first and you'll have to keep a eye on them but they should intergrate fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

We have two cats - one is here for years - so long I can only tell her age to the nearest 5 years. Always wants to be outside or in her bed in the shed.

We got another about two years ago - always wants to be inside unless its fine, warm and sunny outside.

Both are friendly playful cats but don't really pal around or interact too much with each other. There was never any aggression and you do get rare glimpses that they do like each other but 99% of the time they live totally separate lives - which is kind of a pity to me - but the cats seem happy with this arrangement. :confused:

Advertisement