Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New dog barking & being just trouble with a big T.

Options
  • 22-11-2010 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Lovely dog with me, great to walk, great little character, gets on great with my other dogs and ignores the cats BUT -

1. If he sees another (strange) dog he goes beserk
    2. If he sees people getting into/out of their cars in nearby car park - beserk.
    3. Postman - beserk.
    4. People walking by themselves on the beach - runs to them even if they are
    two miles away and beserk.
    5. Barks for hours on end for no apparent reason if left out at night (3am -
    7am being his favourite times)

So he has to be kept in at night and on a lead at all times when out in public.

Just wondering what I can do. Bring him to a dog trainer? Get him neutered?
    I have no intention of giving him up but at the same time would like a bit of a quiter life around here. :confused:

The dog is a cross between a springer spaniel and sheppard or so I am told.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, how old is your dog? i had a springer till the summer, when out walking if we came across another dog he would practically drag me to the other dog (across main roads etc) barking but tail wagging like mad, thought he was going playing i think :-)
    i brought him to a dog trainer and got him neutered at the same time, i'd say it was a combination of both that settled him.
    the barking i cant help with, wish i could sort my own little pup out with that, 6 mth old terrier x, looks soo cute but loves the sound of his own voice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

How much is he walked per day? Any Spaniel cross will need a lot of walking and mental stimulation. If they end up bored they can bark, chew and cause serious problems. If he is not stimulated enough, this may be the reason for all the barking.

If this winter is going to be anything like last winter, you'll probably need to bring him in out of the cold anyway so if he is used to it, and it suits everyone better (ie. you, the dog and the neighbours get more sleep!) it is definitely worth a try. Also, if he is happier inside it is probably the best option.

The barking outside the home really sounds like he is over excited and doesn't know how else to express it. A good trainer would be able to advise you on the best techniques to stop this (it is usually very straight forward). On the chasing people on the beach - he's a Spaniel mix, they chase anything that moves (unfortunately in this situation)! Keeping his attention when there are so many fun things - from his point of view - going on around him can be very tough. Once again, a trainer will be able to advise you on this. If he is not trained, keeping him on a lead in public is the best, and most responsible, option. Have you tried expendable leads? They allow the dogs to run about more than a standard lead but you are still on the other end if he needs to be reeled in.

With regards to neutering, everyone has their own opinion on this so I am only giving you mine. I would neuter any dog that in not going to be shown or (ethically - cannot highlight this enough!) bred from. The males bounce back very quickly from the operation, it often gets rid of some annoying behaviours (humping, marking etc.), if there is a bitch in heat somewhere (could be within miles) you don't have to worry and it reduces the likelihood of certain cancers. Neutered males make easier pets (once again, my personal opinion) and I have yet to be convinced that it is not the right thing to do. They can get the snip from 6 months and need to be kept an eye on until the stitches come out (10 days - 2 weeks), after this he can go back to normal.

Advertisement