Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you use the left lane to turn right from N11S -> Wyattville Road?

Options
  • 30-11-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I am just wondering could somebody confirm that you can use the left lane to turn right from the N11 Southbound on to the Wyatville Road (heading towards the M50)? Here

I can't remeber exactly but the road markings have a straight arrow followed by writing which says except buses and then a right arrow. I have no idea what that it supposed to mean. Can anybody clarify?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think the bit west of the N11 is Wyattville Road - I'm not sure what it is other than the R118.

Clearer pic attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's definitely Wyatville road, AFAIK.

Anyway, the only traffic that needs to go straight on at that point are buses, since there's a bus stop on that part of the road, and they don't go under the underpass. The right pointing arrow is telling all traffic, except buses, to get out of that lane and into the right hand lane, which is where you'd logically be to turn right towards the M50/Cherrywood anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think what it is saying is the right hand lane is for turning right.

The left hand lane is for going straight on, except for buses (which might not be able to make the right turn otherwise).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Plenty of people seem to use the left hand lane to turn left, usually becaus the LH queue is shorter so they can cut in.

I think the road markings say otherwise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Victor is correct. The traffic lights at that junction are ass backwards as well, being red for all directions when traffic from the M50 is taking a right onto the N11 southbound.

What's worse is when turning left ONTO the wyattville road, a lot of people cut into the bus lane very early, forcing either a slow down mess, or cut in early yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

Alun wrote: »
    The right pointing arrow is telling all traffic, except buses, to get out of that lane and into the right hand lane, which is where you'd logically be to turn right towards the M50/Cherrywood anyway.
    I still don't understand the markings. I use the middle lane to turn right all the time. The road markings as you approach are a straight arrow, then text which reads "except buses" and then a right hand arrow. The right pointing arrow is the same one that appears in the rightmost lane which is for turning right so that would imply to me that you can use the middle lane to turn right?
    Who can I email for clarification on this as I don't want to be done for using the middle lane. The road markings are very confusing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The left lane is for turning left, the middle and right lanes are for turning right except for buses which use the middle lane to go straight on.

There is no reason for other traffic to go straight on here as it leads back onto the N11 where they just came from.

It's a two lanes junction turning into another two lane stretch on the right so lanes correspond with each other as you go around the corner.

Thats exactly what I thought Cookie_Monster, thanks for that. It doesn't stop people blasting me out of it with their horn a lot when I use the middle lane to turn right though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wow, this is an old thread .. I'd forgotten I'd replied to it! Actually, looking at it again, I think you're right. I think the "except for buses" is referring to the fact that a bus in that lane is allowed to go straight on despite the fact that there's a right arrow. I think when I first looked at it, the right arrow looked more like the kind you get telling you to change lane when a lane ends, with a kind of sweeping arrow, rather than the one with a right-angle at the end if you get what I mean.

A bit daft if you ask me, as someone in a non-bus could make a genuine mistake, take the turn-off from the N11 and want to rejoin the N11 southbound, but according to those markings couldn't legally do so. Allowing traffic to go straight on or right in the leftmost lane would have been a better solution.

It seems to be common where there are two right turn lanes for drivers to fail to keep to their lanes, and drift to the left lane as they turn right. The right turn out of Cornelscourt onto the N11 is a prime example.

Alun wrote: »
    It seems to be common where there are two right turn lanes for drivers to fail to keep to their lanes, and drift to the left lane as they turn right. The right turn out of Cornelscourt onto the N11 is a prime example.
    Yeh I am waiting for the day for someone to drift over and hit me and wanted to be sure what I was doing was legal. I have emailed the roads Department in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council for clarification. In general though I tend to drop back to allow the person in the 3rd lane complete the right turn first to avoid an accident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement