Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured fish - anything to help him?

Options
  • 27-04-2015 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭

One of my fish got stuck in one of my ornaments this morning to the extent that my friend (who was the only one home at the time) had to break the ornament to get him free. Not sure how long the fish was there for but was OK when I went to bed last night. He now apparently has a tear on one of his fins. Is there anything I can do to help him recover or best to leave him at it? He's one of 4 large silver dollars in a tank with a ghostknife and a pleco. All fish are about 5-7 years old and otherwise healthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

esha 2000 is a good all-round anti-bacterial treatment that would help prevent the tear from getting infected.

Other than that, I think it's best just to let him heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I use Melafix and find it excellent. As with all medications, follow the instructions carefully ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

One of my corys got stuck in a gap in a piece of bogwood I had before. Took me literally half an hour of searching to spot him he was that wedged into it and also kind of camouflaged. It was a delicate operation trying to get him free but thankfully he didn't seem to have any injuries, I'm guessing the armour like skin helped him.

Hope your fish will be okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Quick update to say he's doing well despite what is actually a fairly serious wound accompanied with a large graze.
    Hard to capture
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jopcke8dk01kzvi/2015-05-07%2021.00.42.mp4?dl=0

Advertisement