Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mackerel Season

• 18-04-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

ok guys coming up to Mackerel Season,thinking of heading out to spiddal for a day trip,just to see if there is anything about,the curiousty is killing me :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Lexi Modern Ore

ok guys coming up to Mackerel Season,thinking of heading out to spiddal for a day trip,just to see if there is anything about,the curiousty is killing me :D

very early for them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

A friend caught a few in south kerry last weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

they have been about a while now.
    caught a few last week from the rocks.
    2012-04-09171227.jpg

niall_b73

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Fresher Question.
    Is there any licence or other restrictions regarding mackerel rod fishing?

Cedrus wrote: »
    Fresher Question.
    Is there any licence or other restrictions regarding mackerel rod fishing?

not as far as i no.
    i just grab my gear and fish untill my heart is content or my bucket.

niall_b73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

niall_b73 wrote: »
    not as far as i no.

niall_b73

where did you catch them

not as far as i no.

niall_b73

where did you catch them

donegal bay.

niall_b73

donegal bay.

niall_b73

i'm defo going out to spiddal

i'm defo going out to spiddal

the deeper the water the better

niall_b73

niall_b73

why so deep??

• Advertisement

niall_b73

why so deep??

because they seem to be moreso in the deeper water.

niall_b73

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

Last week we caught 9 Very small Macks all thrown back, of the pier in Doonbeg at high tide. Then only one the second evening but the water was rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

anyone fishing howth yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i know weathers been decent enough but seems a bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dusty87 wrote: »
    anyone fishing howth yet?

can't see them coming to howth until mid may - early june, and even when they do howth isn't a great spot. There's usually too many rods and not enough fish!

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    can't see them coming to howth until mid may - early june, and even when they do howth isn't a great spot. There's usually too many rods and not enough fish!

ah i know that. Plenty of rods and rubbish. Just curious as i like to disappear for a few hours when visiting relations:P
    they didnt come in last year to howth at all. Off the rocks anyways:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ennisweed

where would be a good place to fish for mackrel in wexford???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Dusty87 wrote: »
    ah i know that. Plenty of rods and rubbish. Just curious as i like to disappear for a few hours when visiting relations:P
    they didnt come in last year to howth at all. Off the rocks anyways:(

Me and my da went down to howth a good few times last year, fished off the shorter pier.

I only got about 3 or 4 macks, my da got about 15. And we were fishing in towards the boats. If the mackeral arent doing then there's always the option of going for wrass in around the rocks, i usually see a few being caught down there every year. Also saw a lad catch a nice sized mullet one of the days, wasn't expecting it. So you don't always have to go for the macks if you do head down anyway, it's nice to know there's a few options. And of course there's congers there too. always worth a try.

If there isn't much room when the time comes to head down you should try the ice house, less macks but they're usually bigger and there's never many people there. :)

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Me and my da went down to howth a good few times last year, fished off the shorter pier.

I only got about 3 or 4 macks, my da got about 15. And we were fishing in towards the boats. If the mackeral arent doing then there's always the option of going for wrass in around the rocks, i usually see a few being caught down there every year. Also saw a lad catch a nice sized mullet one of the days, wasn't expecting it. So you don't always have to go for the macks if you do head down anyway, it's nice to know there's a few options. And of course there's congers there too. always worth a try.

If there isn't much room when the time comes to head down you should try the ice house, less macks but they're usually bigger and there's never many people there. :)

dont know the ice house. I usually fish from the rocks up the hill where the carpark is. Not a great place with all the cans etc dumped:( but dont know many other spots. Must try try the wrasse. My sea fishing knowledge is limited:D. Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Jakub25

ennisweed wrote: »
    where would be a good place to fish for mackrel in wexford???

I also looking for good place for Mackrels,
    do you know any at courtown area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I heard there are some turning up around Dunlicky near Kilkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Patolagola

There has been a few mac caught in dun laoghaire.

The Mac are in and have been since last month but their out far, the boats have been hitting them for a while now.

We done a boat session out in sligo early april and caught 100's...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.323427731045831.79252.208758682512737&type=3

NORTH1 wrote: »
    Last week we caught 9 Very small Macks all thrown back, of the pier in Doonbeg at high tide. Then only one the second evening but the water was rough.

Why would you put them back, joey mac make great bait for ether sea or fresh water...

Best pike bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭micko123

Any in Galway yet?

Micko, the picks above are from sligo, so Id say youl get some if not now, very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Why would you put them back, joey mac make great bait for ether sea or fresh water...

Best pike bait.[/Quote]

Yes, let's kill everything that we catch..... And then wonder where they have all gone.

Best pike bait.

Yes, let's kill everything that we catch..... And then wonder where they have all gone.[/QUOTE]

Really dud, you think keeping 9 joeys is going to have an effect?

It has been proven that if rod anglers kept their catch it would have no effect. Theres nothing wrong with keeping your catch if your going to eat it of use it for bait... simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Lexi Modern Ore

Yes, let's kill everything that we catch..... And then wonder where they have all gone.

I dont see the problem if they are not going to waste. shoals of mackerel are massive, that catch in the boxes are a tiny proportion of the shoal they fished on. The reason fish stocks in general are down is due to commercial fishing, not by anglers with rod and line. The amount of fish taken by all irish sea anglers is a only a drop in the ocean (no pun intended!) compared to the overall commercial fishing quota

look at the contents of this one lorry, and compare it to the few boxes on the boat.

I fish all year round, not just when the mac come in, I fish for all types of fish and I eat some of what I catch. My kids love it.

If I was to add up the amount of fish I kill and eat in a whole lifetime it wouldn't come close to what 1 boat sucks up and waists in a day....

Also, by me keeping the mac I catch I am saving myself euros every time I go fishing because I don't have to pay the bait shops crazy prices for 3 mac.

But if you feel its wrong to keep them that's your opinion and that's fine, you go ahead and let them back. I'm happy to keep about 1 in every 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

In case some don't already know its now commonly accepted that handling macs before returning is a death sentence for them.

Here is some discussion on the topic.
    http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Mackerel-bashing-t64059.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement