Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does an Irish person look like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Doesn't matter what they look like, just once their names are Seán and Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Bemused with a slight hint of perplexed.

I think you spent too much time on boards.. Go outside and you'll see for yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A big mallet head on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Irish=broke Non-Irish=no so broke:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The Ray Darcy show did this question a couple of weeks ago. They got people to text in characteristics common to Irish men and women and got a characature(sc) artist to sketch out a typical Irish man and woman from them. Here's the pictures.

http://todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog/10-07-01/The_Typical_Irish_Woman.aspx?ReturnURL=%2fShows%2fWeekdays%2fRay-DArcy-Show%2fBlog.aspx

http://todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog/10-06-16/The_Typical_Irish_Male.aspx?ReturnURL=%2fShows%2fWeekdays%2fRay-DArcy-Show%2fBlog.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

In the eyes of the rest of the world...

0511-0802-0618-4219_Leprechaun_Smoking_a_Pipe_clipart_image.jpg

EDIT: Damn, brummytom got there first :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

strobe wrote: »
    The Ray Darcy show did this question a couple of weeks ago. They got people to text in characteristics common to Irish men and women and got a characature(sc) artist to sketch out a typical Irish man and woman from them. Here's the pictures.

http://todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog/10-07-01/The_Typical_Irish_Woman.aspx?ReturnURL=%2fShows%2fWeekdays%2fRay-DArcy-Show%2fBlog.aspx

http://todayfm.com/Shows/Weekdays/Ray-DArcy-Show/Blog/10-06-16/The_Typical_Irish_Male.aspx?ReturnURL=%2fShows%2fWeekdays%2fRay-DArcy-Show%2fBlog.aspx

Oh jeez! I don't know who's worse your wun or yer man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Eyeballs ,ears ,feet and sometimes hair ,various colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In before the "really ugly... apart from me" bla bla, etc.

Loads of diversity in terms of how Irish people look - e.g. some Irish people look totally Mediterranean.

Typical Celtic look I suppose though is fair skin, black hair and blue, grey or green eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

White for starters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

If they're pale and ginger, they're probably Irish.

Also if a womans wearing a pair of Irish Sunglasses.

They're usually dead give aways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Victorian stereotype of the simian Irish

http://sanseverything.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/opper.jpg

I know a good few lads and a few women that look a bit like this.

I think irish people ,myself included ,don't have as good skin as most other europeans ,english included.

When your in countries like spain ,irish people stick out a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Dudess wrote: »
    In before the "really ugly... apart from me" bla bla, etc.

Loads of diversity in terms of how Irish people look - e.g. some Irish people look totally Mediterranean.

Typical Celtic look I suppose though is fair skin, black hair and blue, grey or green eyes.

Celtic look? That's not celtic, the vast majority of Irish are decended from the first people to arrive in the island 12,000 years ago. The whole celt/celtic label is very corrupted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

white, very white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I dont know where this black hair idea comes from, most Irish people have light brown to fair hair or red obviously. I dont think the typical Irish person has black hair.

We are very white in general, taller and fatter than most of Europe, well as fat or tall in general as the rest of North Europe but not the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

The Aussie wrote: »
    white, very white

Speak for your self :pac:

convict

Speak for your self :pac:

convict

who said that.... Im snow blind from all the whiteness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I dont know where this black hair idea comes from, most Irish people have light brown to fair hair or red obviously. I dont think the typical Irish person has black hair.

We are very white in general, taller and fatter than most of Europe, well as fat or tall in general as the rest of North Europe but not the rest.

It's hard to tie an entire population down to a specific look. Next time you're in a bar have a look around. There's also the idiotic red hair stereo type.

who said that.... Im snow blind from all the whiteness...

convict :)

convict :)

leave me alone, im half cut, having to squint at the computer, hey whitey white white white, do you glow in the dark....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I was told we look like white black people

Like this bunch

leave me alone, im half cut, having to squint at the computer, hey whitey white white white, do you glow in the dark....

Convict :D

bye sorry i meant steel some polarized lensed sunglass it'le cut the glare out works for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Good looking people :) with biggest hearts in world but naive and to happy to please everyone but their own :rolleyes:

p.s for those who dont think irish are good looking,i am sure your parents would be so proud,have you told them their mingers along with your sisters etc.... lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

People who usually start threads like these are from an isolated town down the country , never seen outside of their crappy town and everyone around them looks the same . (rotten) And they call a girl 'yer wan'

And their mammys look like the Aphex twin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I think irish people ,myself included ,don't have as good skin as most other europeans ,english included.

How VERY dare you!! :p TBH all countries have a mix of every nationality so I don't think you can tell an Irish person from someone else purely from looking at them. For instance, the whole idea of the majority of Irish people having red hair is a myth, it's actually only a very small minority that have red hair however a person might see that combined with the pale skin and assume you are Irish or of Irish descent when that may not be the case at all.

How VERY dare you!! :p TBH all countries have a mix of every nationality so I don't think you can tell an Irish person from someone else purely from looking at them. For instance, the whole idea of the majority of Irish people having red hair is a myth, it's actually only a very small minority that have red hair however a person might see that combined with the pale skin and assume you are Irish or of Irish descent when that may not be the case at all.

yep so true,people say i look Italian or french,they can never get it right.:D

caseyann wrote: »
    yep so true,people say i look Italian or french,they can never get it right.:D

You're spending too much time hanging about with heroin addicts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Embarassed, Perplexed, Bamboozled, Angry, Broke etc. etc. and that's only ones that stil have a job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lol the drawing of the irish woman on the darcy show is spot-on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Have a look for yourself:

Irish men's 100m final today!

The_Joker. wrote: »
    No need for that - some Irish people ARE Mediterranean looking. Better to acknowledge the good rather than constantly fukking whingeing about how sh1te we Irish are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

an expression forever worn on their faces that suggest they are half tolerating everyone around them and half detesting everyone around them

Yeah so now you are calling Italians and french and polish and Germans heroin addicts are you :rolleyes: jealous much :D

caseyann wrote: »
    Yeah so now you are calling Italians and french and polish and Germans heroin addicts are you :rolleyes: jealous much :D
    Not at all , but actually you have made up a story that you 'look italian or french' , you are subconsciously letting it slip that you think these nationalities are better looking ,when in fact they have their fair share of mingers.

So speak for yourself , but I find some Irish girls gorgeous.

• Advertisement

Without the freckled speckled red haired feckled ideas ,I was genuine about bad skin.
    I had this discussion before for a good while with a group of people ,I'd put down the amount of sunlight we get as to our general skin conditions.

I think theres a certain amount of vitamains in sunlight that promotes growth ,spring time is the biggest jump in growth for children.

I'm a bit drunky ,so I won't go off on one.

Re the black hair thing - heard that's the typical Irish colleen look (besides red hair) so just assumed it was true... :o

Is all of the above true, or is it just more of the self-effacing stuff?

Not at all , but actually you have made up a story that you 'look italian or french' , you are subconsciously letting it slip that you think these nationalities are better looking ,when in fact they have their fair share of mingers.

So speak for yourself , but I find some Irish girls gorgeous.

I wasn't talking about looks :rolleyes: people arent good looking by nationality,I was talking about colouring ;) and i think Irish are very good looking people:) meaning they couldnt tell difference between Irish and them lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

When I was in Spain in May, and towards the end of the holiday (when I'd a deep enough tan) all the locals started addressing me in Spanish presuming I was one of their own, until I spoke! I'm Irish born, bread and buttered but I'm sallow skinned with very dark hair, as was my mother and her family and all of my fathers family too!

Dudess wrote: »
    Is all of the above true, or is it just more of the self-effacing stuff?

I think we are what we are ,appearance is down to location so I don't think it matters.

I'd rather be stuck on an island with an irish person ,than any other nationality:)

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    When I was in Spain in May, and towards the end of the holiday (when I'd a deep enough tan) all the locals started addressing me in Spanish presuming I was one of their own, until I spoke! I'm Irish born, bread and buttered but I'm sallow skinned with very dark hair, as was my mother and her family and all of my fathers family too!

Eh , thats the most ridiculous thing I heard all day.
    Thats their language of course they will speak to you in spanish!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

This was a holiday resort full of mainly English and Irish tourists where in every bar, restaurant and shop you go into you are spoken to in broken English (and sometimes good English) At the beginning of the holiday I was addressed in English as they knew by the look of me that I was a tourist and more than likely spoke English. Towards the end of the holiday however, most of the Spanish began presuming I was Spanish too and started speaking to me in Spanish (why is that so hard to believe?) Two of the said Spanish people, from different shops apologised and even got embarrassed and explained (in English) they thought I was from Spain!! Jeez!! Do you think I made it up in my head and posted it on here?!? :rolleyes:

Spanish people ,speak in espanol to tourists.
    I always try my best to speak the few bits I can ,when I'm in spain. It's nice to respect people for who they are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I get and have gotten the same as l3LoWnA over the years in the latin countries and I make dracula look sun kissed. Then again I do have black hair(with grey bits now), green eyes and not a lot of meat on me. Having been in various airports around the world the Irish line/checkin is fairly easy to spot as a general rule. We tend to be chunkier, slightly taller(though not as much as the dutch who are giants), less "fine featured" mousey haired and for some reason have bigger ears?? :confused: For all the AH stuff about Irish women(tm) the blokes are way easier to spot in general. The guys tend to have the early onset of bad hair, spreading bellies and short legs in comparison to their bodies. It's easy to confuse us with the english, scots and welsh. Naturally enough as we're very related to each other for the most part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement