Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversion of Iveco.

Options
  • 02-10-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi. (just realised this should be in Self builders corner)

I am just about to start on the conversion of a 04 Iveco extra high roof van.

This is my second fit out but the last was 10 years ago so many things have changed since then.

I have a few questions.

1. I have 2 new Seitz windows with blinds etc that are about 3 feet wide by 17" inches high, I would prefer smaller, does anybody have some to swap. I want them for over bunk beds so smaller would be best although I do not really want to get into buying and selling/ would make them do, if needs be.

2. The panels on the outside of the Iveco make seitz windows look really bad because of all the ins and outs, Has anybody seen an attractive way out of this problem,. I have considered filling in the channels with body filler and having a vinyl skin in a contrasting colour put over that section of the van, has anybody seen this done.

3. Has anybody tried to use the preheater from Saab diesils for hot water / heating in a camper. they are a type of eberspesher heater.

4. I also have a new spinflo all in one hob/Grill/ Sink unit, to swap if anyone is interested.

5. Does anybody know of a caravan breakers in Ireland or in Northern Ireland.

One piece of advice which is worth bearing in mind when converting. Make sure that all of your sink and shower drains will work when when the van is parked in a manner that the blood does not rush to your head when you are sleeping.

I have often seen guys in expensive production vans that need to get the van exactly level or the water will not drain out of the sink or the shower, or one or other of the beds is only suitable for bats.

Regards Tony.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Why are you using an Iveco , as a matter of curiousity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

Using an Iveco because they are a big and cheap.

My previous was an Iveco, They are easy to work on, simple but strong.

Huge availability of spare parts. Very underrated in the UK and here. If you look at the prices on the continent they are much more expensive over there.

The older ones are not very refined and may even be a bit truckish at high speed but having driven all over the continent on my last one which included being rearended on a French motorway,I would be very reluctant to use any other make. I had a Mercedes Sprinter for work for years but that was not half as good to travel in.

The model I bought is 04 it has a h3 roof which means 2.1m high inside, and 4.60 from back of the drivers seat to inside of rear doors. It has high mileage but it is Silver with a nice looking face, it is comfortable, 6 speed reasonably quick and economical and once you get rolling on the motorway it was great at keeping up a reasonable speed at relatively low revs. I have already driven it from the North of England via London to Cork.

DGVW of 3.5t. turbo intercooler engine with twin rear wheels.

Biggest challenge will be to hit the weight target of 3050 kgs. But that is for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

a 35-12 so? Fine strong roomy machine , I just prefer the "car-like-ness" of the Ducato , and the IMO nicer cab interior . Best of luck with it anyway . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I just prefer the "car-like-ness" of the Ducato

There's something to be said for RWD and twin wheels once you go over three tons ...makes the whole affair a bit more stable.

Advertisement