Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre blow out in camper

Options
  • 01-10-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I just this week met a lady from Wales on the West coast of France, who experienced her first tyre blow out, on route to St Hilaire de Riez. On her pre travel check it was recommended to her that she did not need to change her tyres, which she was of the opinion that she should have changed them as she had the Camper from new and it was five years old. So i ask this question to the forum, does anyone know is there a mark to indicate the year of manufacture of the tyres.( Reason been if i buy a new camper off a lot, how long has it sat there before been plated, and thence the degrading of the tyres as i believe now that the life span of the tyres is five years max.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

good info here
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Opinions on tyre life-span vary, somewhere between six and eight years, depending on the condition of the tyre as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

On the subject of blow outs there's an interesting video from Mitchelin in the US on dealing with blow outs. The theory is that you speed up to compensate for side acting forces and allows the driver to maintain control. The link is http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/videos-demos.jsp#The_Critial_Factor RV – The Critical Factor. I hope that I'll never have to put it into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

The pressure is very imortant too . Our tyre suppliers always say the pressure should be higher for motorway use , as it keeps the tyre firmer and less flexy , so it doesn't overheat .

at least dodgy tyres should be spotted in the DOE next year... Runs and hides leaving a can of worms open...lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

It seems her tyres looked perfect, and the Motor Home is just 5 years old. Luckily for her it happened on a side road near a village, but she was very scared,and the bang brought out most of the Village people to see what had happened. But back to my question how does one know how long a van is sitting for sale on a lot before it is bought, and the age of the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Bessa wrote: »
    how does one know the age of the tyres.

from the link above:
    Post_2000_Full_Dot.jpg
    manufactured in week 51 year 07

The other question of course is, how long has the base vehicle (with its tyres) been sitting around before the motorhome bits were put onto it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

Thank you that answers my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

What tyres do people use when replacing tyres on their motorhome. My motorhome has Michelin XC camping tyres which i have discovered as a result of this post are from 2001. I assume (maybe wrongly) that light commercial tyres would do the same job as the motorhome is built on ducato chassis. I also assume (probably correctly) that any tyres would be cheaper in the north of ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

AFAIK Michelin XCs are not being made any more ,and certainly all the new motorhomes we've had in over the last few years have had other brands . Truck tyres are pretty much the same in construction , the XC was alleged to have a different sidewall , but some friends of mine in the tyre retail trade , who have had motorhomes claim the only difference is extra UV Resistance.

Gleeson Tyre Products
    , look for Pat .I always found them as cheap and cheaper than the lads up North .

Advertisement