Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walther g22

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm in the market for a semi-auto 22 and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this rifle as I like the idea of a nice compact firearm, but some of the online reviews have been a bit iffy? I was looking at a marlin model 60 but I got a very good price on one of these walthers. Any advice would be great...
    Thanks
    LR

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The G22 is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Longranger wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm in the market for a semi-auto 22 and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this rifle as I like the idea of a nice compact firearm, but some of the online reviews have been a bit iffy? I was looking at a marlin model 60 but I got a very good price on one of these walthers. Any advice would be great...
    Thanks
    LR

If anything like their .22 pistols stay away from it

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Stay clear of it there are a lot better .22 semi-autos out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Had the opportunity to use one about 3 years ago.
    1. Would not cycle reliably. Mini mags were best but still had failure to fires and after150 rounds failure to eject.
    2. The trigger. Sloppy, gritty and heavy. Bog standard 10/22 trigger is better.
    3. Three inch groups at 50m not including frequent flyers.
    4. It just didn't feel comfortable for me-it didn't fit.
    If you want a semi buy a 2nd hand 10/22 cheap and upgrade over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Waste of an 80 eu licence, Plus i think it's classed as restricted rifle so expect a lot more hassle than an unrestricted app.

Buy a nice 10/22 and swap the bits you don't like. You won't be disappointed! !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cw67irl wrote: »
    Waste of an 80 eu licence, Plus i think it's classed as restricted rifle so expect a lot more hassle than an unrestricted app.
    Correct, it's restricted as it has a bullpup action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Had a go of one and as Deaf git said, crap.
    Poor cycling, poor grouping and poor fit. Chap who owned it had trouble shifting it on even on a trade with RFD with its restricted status.

Stay away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

+1
    LongRanger,
    I do not have one, and that is probably due to the bad experience I had with the P22. Are the platforms similar? If so, I would stay away.

Why the G22 over the 10/22?

To be honest, I bet with a bit of work and specific ammo, you'll conquer the stovepipes, but the bolt will not lock back at the end of the mag.

If you want one, scratch the itch. I have bought many a firearm that was either hit or miss, and ended up with the hit.

If you are going to get it, I would learn about the serial numbers. The old P22's had problems, but the new ones are much better. I give credit to Walther, after returning my P22 for the third time, they gave me a new gun, upgraded as well.

Just disappointing that I should have ever had to doubt the name Walther.

Personally, I would get a 10/22 and a tactical or tricked stock like the one shown. Would probably be better and more reliable anyhow.

I imagine the below are restricted stocks and illegal magazines. However, would be more along the lines with what I would choose before the Walther.
    red_jacket_zk-22.jpg
    ruger_1296.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thanks lads, my mind is made up. After a long night of debating (a dangerous thing to do when you're the only one in the room! :-o) I'm going for the 10/22. I was considering the marlin but I'll go with the ruger just cos there are so many after market parts available. Thanks all for the advice.
    Lr

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Um. If you're thinking of the P22 pistol, yeah. But Walther actually make some of the best .22 pistols in the world (the GSP and the SSP - I'd include the OSP but it's .22short and the KSP is a rebadged and polished IZH); it's just that the P22 isn't one of those. That thing was a POS from day one.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Um. If you're thinking of the P22 pistol, yeah. But Walther actually make some of the best .22 pistols in the world (the GSP and the SSP - I'd include the OSP but it's .22short and the KSP is a rebadged and polished IZH); it's just that the P22 isn't one of those. That thing was a POS from day one.

And Walther produced a carbine kit for the gsp that converted your target pistol into one helluva s/a rifle. Saw them advertised and tested on Gunmart years back- a snip at 1800 sterling.
    I think walther are now owned by Umarex afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Deaf git wrote: »
    And Walther produced a carbine kit for the gsp that converted your target pistol into one helluva s/a rifle. Saw them advertised and tested on Gunmart years back- a snip at 1800 sterling.
    I think walther are now owned by Umarex afaik.

That is nice. I was expecting it to be a bare backend of a stock that attached to the pistol and nothing else, but they put a lot more work into it, didn't they?

gspr_blue_1.jpg

It'd make you wonder how they do stuff like that that's so well made and then they produce things like this:

brokenWALTHERslide732.jpg

I WANT!
    Hey, does that look like a 10 round mag? Could be one less for the 'white list'

Advertisement