Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Mackerel Season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

Off topic guys come on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Lexi Modern Ore

Chuileog wrote: »
    In case some don't already know its now commonly accepted that handling macs before returning is a death sentence for them.

Here is some discussion on the topic.
    http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Mackerel-bashing-t64059.html

true, I forgot to mention that!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fallowbuck

Any in waterford area lads, Minehead? Caught some last year late april warm weather. With the weather were getting now tought best to leave for a little longer.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dunnedrum

any good spots in wexford you know of guys... interested in getting back into mackerel fishing this year, havent done it since i was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Chuileog wrote: »
    In case some don't already know its now commonly accepted that handling macs before returning is a death sentence for them.

Here is some discussion on the topic.
    http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Mackerel-bashing-t64059.html

That's really interesting thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,731 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Any news on Macks in around Skerries or Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭mattser

Flat rocks in Dunmore East....August...Bluegrass Festival.....get the pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

A bit early for Skerries & Balbriggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Dusty87 wrote: »
    they didnt come in last year to howth at all. Off the rocks anyways:(

There were plenty being caught last summer of the west pier mainly by moronic slobs who don't know how to use the bloody bin that's 10 yards away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

tricky D wrote: »
    There were plenty being caught last summer of the west pier mainly by moronic slobs who don't know how to use the bloody bin that's 10 yards away.

Its a disgrace down there.

gangs of fukin idiots drinking cans,playing music and shouting abuse on people in boats.

The amount of crap they leave behind them is disgusting too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Its a disgrace down there.

gangs of fukin idiots drinking cans,playing music and shouting abuse on people in boats.

The amount of crap they leave behind them is disgusting too.

Sorry mate but you are 100% wrong. Im only only a young lad and started fishing 3 years ago with them "slobs" in howth and they have been nothing but nice to me, I sat beside them one day and done everything wrong and felt that they would laugh but instead they showed me how to fish. Yes they drink but lots of people enjoy a beer while fishing, not saying its right but its them. Also them people including me every evening when leaving pick up all the rubbish that was left from OTHER anglers. The boats get a few words because they come in very close over our lines and take no consideration of the people fishing, most people would ge anoyed over loosing a whole rig! sorry mate but im not trying to be rude but them lads are actually a nice bunch and id stand by them any day and fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sorry mate but you are 100% wrong. Im only only a young lad and started fishing 3 years ago with them "slobs" in howth and they have been nothing but nice to me, I sat beside them one day and done everything wrong and felt that they would laugh but instead they showed me how to fish. Yes they drink but lots of people enjoy a beer while fishing, not saying its right but its them. Also them people including me every evening when leaving pick up all the rubbish that was left from OTHER anglers. The boats get a few words because they come in very close over our lines and take no consideration of the people fishing, most people would ge anoyed over loosing a whole rig! sorry mate but im not trying to be rude but them lads are actually a nice bunch and id stand by them any day and fish!

+1 on this. I'm 16 now and i've been going mackerel fishing in howth with my da since i could hold a rod. They're always very approachable lads, always willing to give a bit of advice, lend a knife, lend some bait or just have a chat. The only time I've seen them shouting at boats was last year when one of the trawlers coming out of howth dumped their bins over the side just inside the harbour walls and mankied the place up.

I wasn't sure about coming out and saying that they're not "scum" or morons" or "slobs" just in case everybody here that thinks that they are would turn against me and start arguments and shít, nice to see somebody is of the same opinion as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

dont know the lads, its usually quiet enough when im there the odd time i only fish off the rocks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

paddy your dead right I didnt want to cause an argument but felt that howth was getting a bad name which it shouldnt, maybe some had bad experiences there but no need to tell others that its a kip. I think i may have met you before paddy, any chance your da brings a guitar sometimes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    +1 on this. I'm 16 now and i've been going mackerel fishing in howth with my da since i could hold a rod. They're always very approachable lads, always willing to give a bit of advice, lend a knife, lend some bait or just have a chat. The only time I've seen them shouting at boats was last year when one of the trawlers coming out of howth dumped their bins over the side just inside the harbour walls and mankied the place up.

I wasn't sure about coming out and saying that they're not "scum" or morons" or "slobs" just in case everybody here that thinks that they are would turn against me and start arguments and shít, nice to see somebody is of the same opinion as me.

Well i've been fishing howth and balscadden since i was about 5..its gottemn much worse in the last ten years or so,especially Balscadden with gangs of people drinking and fcucing thier cans into the water.

I was fishing away once when two polish lads came down the cliff and were told "there's no fish so **** off" by some bloke with a can in his hand.

Fishing from rocks and drinking does not go together and i want to relax when i'm out,not end up in a knacker-drinking session with a bunch of mouthy fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

balscadden is way too busy, hate it eprsonally

paddy your dead right I didnt want to cause an argument but felt that howth was getting a bad name which it shouldnt, maybe some had bad experiences there but no need to tell others that its a kip. I think i may have met you before paddy, any chance your da brings a guitar sometimes?

Yeah man that's him, probably a strong chance you'll see us up there again this year.

Degsy wrote: »
    Well i've been fishing howth and balscadden since i was about 5..its gottemn much worse in the last ten years or so,especially Balscadden with gangs of people drinking and fcucing thier cans into the water.

I was fishing away once when two polish lads came down the cliff and were told "there's no fish so **** off" by some bloke with a can in his hand.

Fishing from rocks and drinking does not go together and i want to relax when i'm out,not end up in a knacker-drinking session with a bunch of mouthy fools.

I can definitely see where you're coming from man, it's not great being around a bunch of lads drinking while you're trying to get a bit of fishing done but last year the harbour was very quiet. The garda were all over it last year, me and my da even sat down and talked with one of them, he was asking us advice for mackerel fishing! So with them lads everywhere there wasn't much oppurtunities for people to be causing trouble.

I won't be down to howth many times this summer, might try it 3 or 4 times and then stick to skerries harbour for the rest of the summer, better fishing there in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭tonytoc11

Any caught around Cork yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mitchaul

Any macs caught around North Clare?

• Advertisement

Any word on skerries yet lads? Looking to get out there this weekend if the macks are about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Nothing there yet .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

I heard there is mackerel being caught from the flats in North Clare, it seems to me that they are being caught by the long distance casters...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭tonytoc11

Caught 1 mack this eve in Fountainstown. Had him after about 4 casts and stayed for another 2 hours with not 1 bite. Caught him on a feather but tried plenty of lures also

tonytoc11 wrote: »
    Caught 1 mack this eve in Fountainstown. Had him after about 4 casts and stayed for another 2 hours with not 1 bite. Caught him on a feather but tried plenty of lures also
    lads caught bout forty Mack of helvick head from the rocks last night so their there in that spot now enjoy . Waterford.

Lads caught over 40 yesterday evening helvick head of the rocks enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

mitchaul wrote: »
    Any macs caught around North Clare?
    Northclare wrote: »
    I heard there is mackerel being caught from the flats in North Clare, it seems to me that they are being caught by the long distance casters...

Im heading to black head for a while in the evening. First day this year and it only down the road :o Good to hear there is a few about, will let ye know how I get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Tried Raughley in North Sligo for a couple of hours on the rising tide this evening but no macks. Couple of small pollack only. Any other info on that general area would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Im heading to black head for a while in the evening. First day this year and it only down the road :o Good to hear there is a few about, will let ye know how I get on!!

Caught 9 yesterday evening, was talking to a lad beside me and he said there was a shoal in about an hour before I came, he said he couldnt keep them pulled in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronan cork

Nothing from the pier in ballycotton last Friday...will try cobh this weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement