Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facepalm Epic Fail LOL

• 12-07-2010 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭

Inspired by a thread in R&R I'm wondering about this. The "FAIL" meme has become ubiquitous and the joke has worn itself out. The only mildly-amusing posts now are deviations on the theme. But really, it's just sad now.

Also first we had facepalm, then picard facepalm, then double facepalm, and finally the implied facepalm, and now it's not funny any more either.

It reminds me of back-in-the-day when I started using the internet and "chat rooms" in the mid-90's. If someone said a joke, and you laughed out loud, you'd type LOL. It was better then typing "Hahahahaha!!" But soon it started being used by saddos TELLING a joke, LOL, and then some bint pluralised it and now it's just a sign that you're a bit sad if you bookend your sentences with it.

So - these are dead. What's the next internet meme, and is it funny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

FAIL is annoying as it's a lazy method of rebuttal without putting the effort to formulate a reason.

I don't mind LOL or smileys at all though. I see them as being more like abbreviations and the latter is actually a handy way of avoiding misunderstandings by, for example, indicating that your post is light-hearted. I think smileys like roll-eyes are terrible though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I generally think "To hell with memes..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

I think the next one is the whole Keanu Reeves sitting on a bench depressed...

The "Laugh and you lose" thread in after hours is testment to how funny it is. although it can be a hit and miss sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NMCW

LOL used ironically can be delighfully lolarious. Used in earnest though, it can be just painful and lead to sentences like 'omgz ikr hilarious amirite LOL' which make me want to put my head through the nearest wall.

Off to 4chan with you and make a new meme then..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

stovelid wrote: »
    FAIL is annoying as it's a lazy method of rebuttal without putting the effort to formulate a reason.

I don't mind LOL or smileys at all though. I see them as being more like abbreviations and the latter is actually a handy way of avoiding misunderstandings by, for example, indicating that your post is light-hearted. I think smileys like roll-eyes are terrible though.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

stovelid wrote: »
    I think smileys like roll-eyes are terrible though.

I don't really like the whole emoticon thing. I use them rarely. I get annoyed when my phone tries to change ":)" to :). Sometimes when you're trying to indicate that something you're saying is sarcastic, they're useful, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

eightyfish wrote: »
    I don't really like the whole emoticon thing. I use them rarely. I get annoyed when my phone tries to change ":)" to :). Sometimes when you're trying to indicate that something you're saying is sarcastic, they're useful, but that's about it.

well said;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

facepalm @ this epic fail of a thread topic imo

:rolleyes:

Max Power1 wrote: »
    facepalm @ this epic fail of a thread topic imo

well that was inevitable.

• Advertisement

it is AH - what do you expect? Serious well thought out logical responses?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭Dartz

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Suppose it's personal preference.

I consider myself more than able to express myself but I often find (imo) that a smiley can supplement, aid or even just embellish, written discourse whereas I feel that rolleyes and FAIL are used to replace written discourse.

it is AH - what do you expect? Serious well thought out logical responses?:D

Not at all, what I expected was someone to post a text-picard-facepalm as an expression of irony.

In a :rolleyes: kinda way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well at least LOLcats aren't used any more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Posting facepalm is the equivalent of :rolleyes:

It grinds my gears if that is someones sole post, makes me understand quicker that that poster is a bit retarded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GoldCobra

steve06 wrote: »

i still use/love lolcats

WindSock wrote: »
    It grinds my gears if that is someones sole post

It grinds my gears when people say "it grinds my gears" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

There's nothing wrong with 'lmao' and 'pml' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It grinds my gears when people say "it grinds my gears" :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

it is AH - what do you expect?

I actually hate this crap more than rollpalm.

"We're in a pub, of course I'm acting like a retard!"

Bullѕhit. There's nothing to be gained by deliberately acting like a cretin "because that's what we do here".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Dartz wrote: »
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

.....                                             
                                                      ,Z$O$Z.                                           
                                                    .7788DDOI7                                          
                                                   ?$ODDDDONDDD$.                                       
                                                 ..88DDDDDDN$ZZO8                                       
                                               . ~ZOZOO8NNDZ$8888,...                                   
                                               ...O8O8DD8O$8Z88DDI ..                                   
                                                  .877OZZZ8?IDDDZ                                       
                                                   ,?+??I7I+?888O .                                     
                                                   .I+=+++==++D7+                                       
                                                   .==7=7Z7?=+7=,......                                 
                                                   .=++=+==+?$Z$$$7I?=..                                
                                           ..... ..+$++=~++?$8I8Z$$$$I+++=......                        
                                           ...+I77I7$ZOO$ZOI8ZIOZ$Z$$7??I77ZO..                         
                                           .,I77III7ZZ8Z87ODO7$OZZZO7777$$ZZZ: .                        
                                           .$7$$777ZOZZD8N777IDOOOO$$7I7$$O7O7..                        
                                           .$$ZZZOOZD8O8ZII??ZOOZZZ$Z$7$Z$77Z7..                        
                                         ..7ZZZZZOOOO888Z?++=DZZZZZOO$$Z$$8Z$$..                        
                                          $7ZZOZOOOO8888D+==ZDZZZZZOZZZODZZZZO.                         
                                        ..$Z$ZOOOO8OOOOODD~I8DZZZZOOZZDD8ZZZ$O..                        
                                        .:$ZO888OOOOOOOOD88888ZZZZDOOODOZZ87$OO.                        
                                        .$$$ZZ8NOOOZOOOOD88888ZZZZ8OO8D$7$$$77$.                        
                                        .$$ZZZO8DOOOOOOOD88888ZZZD8O88ZZ$I$$$7$.                        
                                        $$$ZO88DD8OOZOOOD88888ZZZDOO8O$$$Z$77$7.                        
                                       ,77$ZZZO8$888OOZOD88888ZZZ8O8D88O$III7IZ.                        
                                       .77ZZZO8D7DDDZZOOD88888OOO8O8DDO$777O8Z7.                        
                                    ..7$7Z$$ZODIIZ888O88D8888888O888DD8Z777O7O..                        
                                    .$8$ZZ$O88IIIZ88D888D888888OO888DDOI77777$..                        
                                    .ZZIIII$ODDD8Z88DOO8DD8888DOOO88DZ7III7$87.                         
                                    ,7??7+?I7$77ZOO8DNDNDD8888DOZO88?IIII7Z$Z8..                        
                                ....INN:,.,,Z7I7O8O8DDDD8888888DZ8$III7II7$7$ZZ,.                       
                                ...+ZOD+,,,,:7$ZO88DDDNN88DD888DZ=,.:7?I$7OOOZZZ                        
                                .+==+?I+,,,,,7DOOZ8NNNNDNOOD8,.,,,,,,~OIOID8OZO.                        
                             ...7II??$7~:,,,,,77$MNNNNNND8,,:,:,,,,,?ZIZD78OOO$.                        
                             ..IIIII7$O~=~=~~:OZZZ$8NDDDD~=:,~:=,,~77+=++?7$OOZ7.                       
                             . IIII$$$O~:~+:7~=Z$ZZ$$ZOZ~?===~~~=+8ZI?++?I?ID8OZ...                     
                              .III7$ZZ87=I+~==~:ZZ$$$$=,,~+I?7+=OOOZ7IIII$$I88OZ...                     
                             ..7I$Z$ZOO8ZI7??I=OZZZZ7$I~~IIZO?78$8OO$7I77$I$888Z...                     
                             ..77$ZZ$$O8DD8$?8+OOZOZ$77$ID7OZZD78OZZZZI7ZIZ7MOOO...                     
                             .777$$Z$ZOOZDDDO888OOZZ$Z8O7OZZ7ZMO8OZOZ$I$$$I?8ZZZ...                     
                             .777$$ZZZZOZDNDDD888ZOOZZZ8OOOO8DOOOZZOO77$$$$7NNZ,.                       
                             .I77$$ZZ$ZO8NNDDDDD8888OOZZDD88DDOO8OZOZ7$$$$7?NND.                        
                             I$$7$ZZZZZ$.NNNMNDDDD888888888DDDD8DZZOO$$$$Z7ZDNN8. .                     
                            .7$$I$ZZZZZO.........................$OO7$7$777=I8DNZ .                     
                         ....77777ZZZZO,                         ZOO$7$$7$$.                            
                         ...77$$$I$Z$$7.                         OO$$777O7$.                            
                          .:$Z$$7$Z7$O?.                         O8Z$$$7Z7Z.                            
                         ...Z8OZ$$7OO88.                         8$7Z$$7I$?.                            
                         ...O$I7$Z$7Z88.                         Z$Z$Z$7$Z..                            
                         ...7$ZZO8O$$$?.                     ....$ZZZZ$7?$..                            
                         ....$?II7ZOZ77:                     ...IZZZZ$$Z7...                            
                         ...7Z8D88NDDD8+ .                   ..,$ZZZO$ZO$...                            
                         . O$D7?IOZONZ88..                   ..ZZII7ZO88O. .                            
                         ..ONI$ZZZO7ZN7. .                   ..7$$$ZZZZOO.                              
                           . +OZIO7II...                     ..$OOOZ?I$7Z,..                            
                           ..?$7$7$ZI...                     .+N8O77Z7O$7...                            
                         ...,Z+?I$?IZ+..                     ..++?7OO7II+. .                            
                         ...$77$II=+++..                     ..I?=?I$7OO ...                            
                         . ,++II~==?$$..                     .=+=I77+=$7                                
                         ..$$7ZOZO+O87$.                     $7I7$$$7+=?                                
                         .+ZZZO8Z$7NOZ..                    .ZZZ$Z7I$$77                                
                         .ZDNND8O=...                       .DDDDDDZ$ZO7                                
                         .......  ..                        ............                                

I actually hate this crap more than rollpalm.

"We're in a pub, of course I'm acting like a retard!"

Bullѕhit. There's nothing to be gained by deliberately acting like a cretin "because that's what we do here".

but thats why we all come to AH

steve06 wrote: »
    I would - but pics arent allowed in AH

Advertisement