Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battery charger question

Options
  • 06-10-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    I have a 2002 motorhome (Fiat adriatik 670 DK) that AFAIK when i am hooked up to mains charges the leisure battery and the battery under the bonnett.

Is there any advantage in me purchasing an independant battery charger foir the winter months to keep both batteries topped up?
    If so recommendations would be good.
    Cheers,
    Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

When your hooked up to the mains, you are charging the leisure battery....not the van battery.

Dont see any benifit in keeping the leisure battery on "permanent" charge over the winter months

Possibly not a bad idea to bring the van for a drive every so often during the winter just to keep things ticking over though

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers Malta1,
    When im hooked up to mains im fairly certain it also charges the battery under the hood aswell...when i check the voltage of it after being hooked up its always higher than it was when i parkewd up :), i must confirm this though with a multimeter.
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Lads,
    I have a 2002 motorhome (Fiat adriatik 670 DK) that AFAIK when i am hooked up to mains charges the leisure battery and the battery under the bonnett.

Is there any advantage in me purchasing an independant battery charger foir the winter months to keep both batteries topped up?
    If so recommendations would be good.
    Cheers,
    Marty

I don't advise leaving the charger permanently on , it overcharges the batteries I have found . 1 Day a week is fine . And no need for an independant charger , the built in Schaudt charger is doing the job of an independant one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Cheers Aidan,
    your familiar with the adrias (mine came from your place!)...do they charge the battery under the bonnet aswell?
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Cheers Aidan,
    your familiar with the adrias (mine came from your place!)...do they charge the battery under the bonnet aswell?
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Nope Marty , not normally.. I double checked with a 2002 Adria 660 DU that's here , and it doesn't either . It's not too unusual though for the Engine battery voltage to show higher when on Hook Up . I quizzed the Techs in Schaudt on this and they said it can haappen , it only takes milliamps to power the guage , so any leakage can give it an "optimistic" reading . It'll still read accurately though when not on Hook Up and with the engine running .

Hope that helps .:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement