Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volunteering - Cork City

Options
  • 23-10-2014 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Would anyone know of any places that are looking for volunteers to help out/assist at the weekends - for a few hours.

I work full time Monday-Friday but I'm looking at giving some of my free time to do something meaningful and give something back to the community!

I would really appreciate any information!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You could try Cork Penny Dinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Maybe try Mayfield Arts, they do work with underprivileged children (from Cork and indeed other countries) and with artists with disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Is there any kind of volunteering in particular you're more interested in ElecKtrA? Animals, elderly, youths etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Trying to Volunteer in Cork is how to put it nicely a bit of a dose... There is a website Volunteer Ireland but be careful what you apply for, most as a lot in Cork don't bother coming back to you

Stay away from the Mahon travellers school help, not because of the travellers but whoever she is a waste of time...

I tried the Lavangh Centre - they were too busy to train in volunteers
    Care for the Elderly - only teaching computers that's it no other options.

If you into dictation typing there is a place called Ballyhoura Rural Services who have people type out recorded stories they are very nice, takes them a while to come back but tis worth it.

Penny Diners - maybe but another place that are bad to come back.

Animal welfare places - be careful with some of them, they tend to take advantage sometimes. But you could try Community Cats or Dawg

it is actually harder than you think even though you hear about it everyday how badly places need volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭buachailldana

If you have an interest in first aid or helping people, you could try St John Ambulance? Training in Cork City (Victoria Road) and Glanmire. volunteer@stjohn.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Frog Song wrote: »
    Is there any kind of volunteering in particular you're more interested in ElecKtrA? Animals, elderly, youths etc?

Hey,

Erm...well....I had nothing in mind as such...just wondering what is out there...I'm pretty open minded.

I suppose if there were any community projects/initiatives that needed some hands on help or even dealing with the general public. I like to think I've a few skills that could be applied somewhere or to something.

I could only offer a few hours at the weekend..and that may not even be every weekend :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I saw a sign up in our post office recently about looking for people for visiting the elderly for cups of tea and chat. You need to be Garda vetted etc.

I think it was Age Action Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Have you come across the Cork Volunteer Centre based on Shandon St?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

opus wrote: »
    Have you come across the Cork Volunteer Centre based on Shandon St?
    Hey,

Nope..i havn't but I will look into it! Thanks a lot ;)

Advertisement