Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you feel safe on the Luas?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

cgcsb wrote: »
    Very little visable security in German sbhan and ubhan systems

Every station has a security hut,plenty of undercover security and heavy on cctv. Also not uncommon to have the police walk through and hop from stop to stop.

The Ubahn and Sbahn don't have security on the train itself, however trouble is deterred from entering the platforms in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Yes on the Green Line.

No on the Red Line.

Two things definitely appropriately named...Red for danger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Every station has a security hut,plenty of undercover security and heavy on cctv. Also not uncommon to have the police walk through and hop from stop to stop.

The Ubahn and Sbahn don't have security on the train itself, however trouble is deterred from entering the platforms in the first place.

And if trouble comes up, one of the responsible police forces usualy responds within short time frames.

On German trains depending under which mandate they operate you can have up to 3 different police forces in play.

They have the federal police (uniformed) which is acting as railway police in trains and stations, the state police which again does trains/stations/regional/local transport and in some cities the city police (uniformed but no weapons) which is dealing with beggers etc.. Plus there is loads of undercover work going on.

Traveling without a ticket in Germany is also criminal offence however the company operating the transport can deceide if they want to press charges.

However due to the german law requiring you to have identification papers they don't have bogus info, if you don't have id than theyn call the police who very quickly finds out who you are. And if you are a seral offender it's in the public interest to press criminal charges.

However all of that does not realy work because according to the federal crime statistic still reports a large amount of acts with an estimated 3.5% of total travelers not having a valid ticket.

I know sounds bad 3.5%, i'm sure in the eveing on the red line it's more than 75%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Yes i feel safe on the luas after dark. First of all i hate people who complain that hueston, conolly are full of scumbags and theyre a disgrace to the country and they dont feel safe blah blah blah. Look every main train/bus station or major transport interchange in europe are in kips of areas with all sorts of characters junkies, beggers and pickpockets. Hold on to your handbags people this is nothing new and is not unique to Ireland. People hold on to their handbags and just get with their buisness. It is not a problem and is one of the drawbacks of public transport hubs it is something we just have get used and live with man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

stehyl15 wrote: »
    Yes I feel safe on the luas after dark. First of all i hate people who complain that hueston, conolly are full of scumbags and theyre a disgrace to the country and they dont feel safe blah blah blah. Look every main train/bus station or major transport interchange in europe are in kips of areas with all sorts of characters junkies, beggers and pickpockets. Hold on to your handbags people this is nothing new and is not unique to Ireland. People hold on to their handbags and just get with their buisness. It is not a problem and is one of the drawbacks of public transport hubs it is something we just have get used and live with man up.

Hating people for highlighting and complaining about a very real problem is surely a tad OTT ?

I would suggest that denying the existence of the issues or "getting used to it" and being told to "man up" is all very well for those of combatative frame of mind,but for those who simply want to use a Public Service without being subject to savage and abberant behaviour then I'll say No Thanks. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
Advertisement