Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"FBI blasts Apple, Google for locking police out of phones"

Options
  • 26-09-2014 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dimcoin

How dare they!! \s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given that the FBI etc. (source Privacy book by Stephen Wicker) have colluded with Telecom equipment manufactures for decades to install backdoors to allow ease of access to user metadata, then they are taking the moral high ground on this is somewhat ... odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Comey is another J Edgar Hoover. A nasty piece of ****. He appears to be moving several intelligence agencies resources into the FBI so that they can steal data from mass surveillance illegally - because the FBI are too lazy to do their job properly. 100% control over society and the world. With no judicial review. Electronic Hitler technology foisted on Congress.... compliments of Comey.

Listen to this: http://mp3s.nashownotes.com/NA-656-2014-09-28-Final.mp3 Skip to the 45 minute point.

And watch this interview by a Jesuit priest and Steve Gibson on Apple telling lies about the security of its iPhone software

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp4/twit.cachefly.net/video/sn/sn0475/sn0475_h264m_1280x720_1872.mp4
    skip to 20 min point if you don't want to see what they have to say about Bash and a few other items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

What do you expect him to say? If they do have Apple and Google's new software they would obviously rather people to think they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

The Gloves are going on with this one.

FBI quest for smartphone data will fuel privacy battle

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

Do you guys believe them?

They cry-wolf so people can keep using their i-devices as before.. Ever heard of the dual-encryption keys? there is either encryption by these, or every user-key is branched out of a master key. In other words, Apple will still have access or means (backdoor ROM) to give all data to an agency.

Don't hallucinate yourself with a privacy Utopia. This cannot happen overnight, and they will try to all play good and fair-looking after all that is known about their treason to people and their rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

In addition to my above post .. Bruce Schneier, a very famous US-based Israel-ancesting cryptographer has endorsed in multiple occasions the iPhone security when non-jailbreaked.

If you ask me, this is mad suspicious when coming from a man of his experience - endorsing an all NSA-friendly platform instead of a flexible and open sourced one.

I rather have a Huawei Android based phone (or even better a truly FOSS phone), than any glam-NSA-friendly device (especially from Apple, that is well known for their data gathering/sharing approach).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Anyone else suspicious of this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

syklops wrote: »
    Anyone else suspicious of this?

Let me explain...

Lets look at the opposite of what happened, and what the probable/potential outcome would be.

"FBI congratulates Apple/Google for building their software so US law enforcement agencies can access them easily, with warrant, where necessary".

What would happen then? Anyone security, privacy concious would go out and get additional security software to protect themselves. Right?

Whats the result of the FBI's current statement?

Everyone goes "Wow, the FBI is slamming Apple/Google for their systems being too secure. The FBI can't get in! WOW! I guess I don't need additional encryption, or other secure apps. Screw you TextSecure, I'm going back to iMessage".

Hence my suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Obvious trolling from the Fbi, there is no privacy online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

bd0101 wrote: »
    In addition to my above post .. Bruce Schneier, a very famous US-based Israel-ancesting cryptographer has endorsed in multiple occasions the iPhone security when non-jailbreaked.

If you ask me, this is mad suspicious when coming from a man of his experience - endorsing an all NSA-friendly platform instead of a flexible and open sourced one.

I rather have a Huawei Android based phone (or even better a truly FOSS phone), than any glam-NSA-friendly device (especially from Apple, that is well known for their data gathering/sharing approach).

Ok guys, a brief disclaimer here : I work for Apple.

I have asked specifically about device encryption and to what extent we cooperate with Law Enforcement with this.

As far as I can tell there is no deliberately installed backdoor in any iOS Device which would allow the Police quick and simple access to it. If the Police call, we have a special e-mail address to which we can refer them and they are informed of this. Of course there may be one, it's just that everyone I've ever spoken to has denied it!

Having said that if a person has a four digit PIN (as most people have) then it would be feasible to crack the device through brute force. You can of course set a longer PIN or even an alphanumeric password. As with most types of encryption this will give you the greatest level of protection when the device is restarted/powered off before the boys in blue seize it.

As you're all aware if you have previously connected the device to a computer and chosen to "trust" it then law enforcement may be able to access what's on the device via resetting it through iTunes.

In addition if you keep unencrypted backups on your computer, naturally those can be accessed.

Apple can also legally be compelled to hand over unencrypted data from iCloud if you have used that to back up. They retain the Master Key.

I do keep very sensitive data on my iPod using apps which encrypt the data on it.

Of course I can't be sure that there isn't a backdoor in the proprietary OS but it seems unlikely.

I fully understand though why someone would prefer to use a FOSS device e.g a rooted Android phone running Replicant over an iOS device. Just bear in mind that rooting has it's own share of woes too! :)

p.s My August Colleague has just pointed out that you also have to take my word for it that I am being honest with you about what the Management here at Apple have told me. I understand this is too much to take on trust, by all means use Android devices if you wish, I just have never been able to find one that wasn't buggy and didn't have other security concerns e.g the backdoor in Samsung Galaxy modems.

Advertisement