Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Drive Docking Station

• 03-10-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Anyone got any advice on a "hard drive dock"? My old laptop died, the power board is gone on it, and i want just to retrieve the photos from it, nothing else as i've since got a new laptop (i know i know, i can hear you say why hadn't i backed up to an external disc!!!), a computer shop wants €150+ to retrieve them but a cousin of mine says i could buy a hard drive docking station from ebay and i can do the job myself... is it as simple as just removing the hard-drive from the laptop, putting it on the dock and retrieving the photos via my new laptop???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Something like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

This universal USB > SATA/IDE adapter is is a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

thanks Torqay, so is it just a matter of plugging in the hard drive to the lap top and extracting pics then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Torqay wrote: »
    Bought one of these; the power supply build quaity is sh|te, and ended up dying within a week of me buying it.

=-=

The StarTech one looks nice. Maplins had one like that for £49 by a company called Sharkoon which a mate says works like a charm. It's on my "to get" list since the cheapo power supply died (the USB to 2.5 IDE cable works without power, though)

JUST CHECKED the manufacture code on the StarTech website, and got this; http://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/SATA-to-25in-or-35in-IDE-Hard-Drive-Adapter-for-HDD-Docks~SAT2IDEADP so not sure if it comes with the dock or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Get Live Linux CD image, install to USB stick with YUMI, put old disk in new laptop, boot with YUMI stick, copy photos to another stick. Or make YUMI stick with 2 partitions, copy to 2nd partition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

Torqay wrote: »

I've had one of those for a couple of years, used it many many times without any trouble. Very good buy for about €15 deilvered.

Advertisement