Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Thought Andy and Steven Reid were worth a call up.
    Andy Reid is top class, well according to Dunphy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,278 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How did Hunt get into that panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Soups123

Squad is as I expected, shame about McCarthy but he made the right call.

I'm a fan of rewarding those that do the hard work, having qualified I fully expect the players who got us there to be on the plane, the size of the squad does allow you to draft in one or two surprises.

For many decades the irish team has had players that play better internationally regardless of club form, for that reason Traps had to bring those who have being doing the job for us.

Now the squad is announced everyone should get behind the team sure what fun is spending June moaning about who should/nt be there, support it and enjoy it a minimum 3 great nights out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Flincher wrote: »
    I would have liked Coleman involved in the 23, probably at the expense of Hunt, but I that is pretty much as expected.

Best wishes also to McCarthy and his family.

I think that could have been handled better by those in the know. It was unfair on the likes of Duff to have a lot of speculation about their personal lives as a result. I think it was poor form by some journalists who seemed determined to create a bit of mystery and a story about what is a very difficult time for McCarthy.

Which journalists and in fairness what did you expect them to do? They didnt know the facts so of course they are going to speculate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wont happen but I'd prefer Kelly to start right back and O'Shea in the centre.

McLean on fire on twitter!!

love the dogs abuse am gettin of shock N.I fans, just worry about watchin ur own country at the euros.... oh wait #mybad #awkward haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Why Hunt instead of Hoolahan? Makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Feel bad for Duff.

Has been a great servant to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Feel bad for Duff.

Has been a great servant to Ireland.

Why do you feel bad for him? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Patsy fyre wrote: »

love the dogs abuse am gettin of shock N.I fans, just worry about watchin ur own country at the euros.... oh wait #mybad #awkward haha
    No need for that sort of thing

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Why Hunt instead of Hoolahan? Makes no sense
    Hoolahan is a very attacking player, plays well behind a striker but poor defensively. Ireland Play with 2 holding midfield players therfore he is not suited to the team, similar story with Andy Reid, can't blame trap for having a strategy and sticking by it.

He has a sense of humour, and if people are happy to give him vitriol over twitter, then they should be able to take some banter back.

Why not? The abuse he is getting is unreal. That's the best way to silence all the haters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Players called up in the last 12 months that haven't made the squad or stand-by list

Stephen Henderson
    Brian Murphy

Damien Delaney
    Shane Duffy
    Kevin Kilbane
    Marc Wilson

Conor Clifford
    Liam Lawrence
    Keith Treacy

Leon Best

Do any deserve a place in the squad or stand-by list ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Players called up in the last 12 months that haven't made the squad or stand-by list

Stephen Henderson
    Brian Murphy

Damien Delaney
    Shane Duffy
    Kevin Kilbane
    Marc Wilson

Conor Clifford
    Liam Lawrence
    Keith Treacy

Leon Best

Perhaps Leon best but hes been injured for the last few months and liam lawrence but cardiff have been hammered by west ham in the play offs today so he hasnt done himself any favours there.
    I think coleman definitley deserved a place over Darren gibson as hes versatile and a much better footballer.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭skydish79

Is it definite the McCarthy would have been included if he's father hadnt been diagnosed with cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Sad news for James McC and his family. Thoughts and prayers with them and theirs. Good to see he was in the squad though before this sad turn of events. Clearly Trap sees a role for him post Euro 2012 in the starting 11.

As for the rest no surprises. Wes H was never going to make it. Lots of talk about Steve Ireland which I was stunned at as I never thought he would be back on the radar....

Starting 11 for Croatia is predictable unless injuries kick in but I would not rule out McLean starting if he impresses in the warm ups

Would prefer O Shea to partner Dunne but in fairness St Ledger has not done much wrong so not the worst

Still think we will get out of this group (if we perform) but dont know if it will be with 2,3 or 4 pts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭klose

Never realised there was prize money in this, in 08 every country got 7.5mil for just qualifying and a win was worth 1mill and draw 500k, how bad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Sergio wrote: »
    I think coleman definitley deserved a place over Darren gibson as hes versatile and a much better footballer.

A) Coleman isn't a CM
    B) Coleman's not playing much, while Gibson is bang in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

While it is sad that Coleman has been left out, what other choice did Trap have? There is really only space for 4 wingers. McGeady and Duff have to be in the squad. If McClean didn't make the team, there would have been holy murder. That leaves only one berth open - that of Stephen Hunt.

Stephen Hunt - 23 Premier League starts, 4 assists, 3 goals.
    Seamus Coleman - 18 Premier League games (17 matches at right wing), 0 assists, 0 goals.

Hunt was actually having an alright season until the New Year when he struggled with groin problems. From what I have seen of him, he actually played a few games when it looked pretty clear that he wasn't fit.

skydish79 wrote: »
    Is it definite the McCarthy would have been included if he's father hadnt been diagnosed with canceer?

That seems to be what is being suggested.

Lawrence made a poor decision to join Portsmouth, thought he could have played for a lower level prem team. He can count himself a little unlucky

Leon best started the season well, then got injured and came back to demba ba and cisse on fire, and never got his position back. Had he kept scoring a few goals he may have pushed his way onto the team, but he needed a good season.

Why not? The abuse he is getting is unreal. That's the best way to silence all the haters.
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He has a sense of humour, and if people are happy to give him vitriol over twitter, then they should be able to take some banter back.
    The people giving him abuse are morons for the most part, better not to respond.

Sergio wrote: »
    Whatever about versatility, I don't see how anyone can state that Coleman is a better footballer than Gibson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Stephen Henderson
    Brian Murphy

Damien Delaney
    Shane Duffy
    Kevin Kilbane
    Marc Wilson

Conor Clifford
    Liam Lawrence
    Keith Treacy

Leon Best

Am suprised that Best isn't in the standby list as a replacement forward option to cover the 5 current picks. Although in saying that, I haven't been following Keogh. Has his club form been especially good?

If one of the current 5 forwards were to get injured in the next month, then presumably Keogh will be the like-for-like replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Stephen Hunt - 23 Premier League starts, 4 assists, 3 goals.
    Seamus Coleman - 18 Premier League games (17 matches at right wing), 0 assists, 0 goals.[/B]

That looks doubly bad for Coleman when you consider Hunt was managing it at Wolves.

Brian Murphy
    Should try and get a starting spot with a Championship club, wasted at QPR, think he's third choice.

skydish79 wrote: »
    Is it definite the McCarthy would have been included if he's father hadnt been diagnosed with cancer?
    Yea, it sounded like he would have been going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Keogh has had an excellent club season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

James McClean = Toto Schilachi says Trapattoni

Salvatore-Schillaci-Argentina-Italy-World-Cup_2383380.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

darkman2 wrote: »
    James McClean = Toto Schilachi says Trapattoni

Salvatore-Schillaci-Argentina-Italy-World-Cup_2383380.jpg

Heres hoping and at least we dont have Argentina to deal with in the Semis (Germany, heh heh....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Absolutely delighted to see James McClean in that squad. It picks itself really, but he was the one where i wasn't sure or not if he'd be picked and i was hoping he would. Completely delighted for him and he deserved it. That's six former LOI players in there now, great advert for the league.

Horrible news about James McCarthy and hopefully that has a good ending!

Sad news for mccarthy but does anyone else think he is using it as an excuse? I mean his father has just been diagnosed. Whether or not he goes he can not change that fact. The tournament is slightly over 3 weeks long. More than likely Ireland will be out after 9 days.
    He's playing for Wigan tonight, no problems there then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Sad news for mccarthy but does anyone else think he is using it as an excuse? I mean his father has just been diagnosed. Whether or not he goes he can not change that fact. The tournament is slightly over 3 weeks long. More than likely Ireland will be out after 9 days.

I think there is a difference between being in England, where his father could easily be, and being in Poland for several weeks. They don't just show up the day before the tournament starts either.

• Advertisement

Think you are way off the mark here. Did you read his statement?

But what would he be using it as an excuse for??? Surely he'd want to go to a major international tournament. There's a big difference between playing a league match in the same country or at least island anyway as your da and heading off to the continent for a month away where he won't get to see his dad and his mind is on other matters.

I think it's a silly point, tbh. I just take it all on face value!! It is was it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I was waiting for someone to start questioning it.

Why would he need an excuse? Are you saying he doesn't want to play in the european championships? Trap clearly stated that McCarthy felt he wouldn't mentally be right to play in the tournament.

Well as much as Trap can clearly say anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Couldn't be happier with the squad to be honest! Really happy about the inclusion of McClean in the squad too. I thought Leon Best would at least be included in the standy players but that would be my only complaint!

Terrible news on James McCarthy's father, I wish him a speedy recovery

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Couldn't be happier with the squad to be honest! Really happy about the inclusion of McClean in the squad too. I thought Leon Best would at least be included in the standy players but that would be my only complaint!

Sure is Best not still injured?? He certainly wouldn't be match fit and allthough he started the season off well, i think there's definitely players well ahead of him in the striker role!

• Advertisement

Well it's just that he has pulled out of squads regularly enough, and his commitment to the republic has been suspect at best.
    My views are probably influenced by the Stephen Ireland granny fiasco. Just feel that if it was robbie Keane or Richard dunne they would still be going. This tournament only comes around once every 4 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

No Andy Reid?

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Cokeistan wrote: »

Best seams way of the radar these days - he seams way down on the newcastle striker options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

thebaz wrote: »
    Best seams way of the radar these days - he seams way down on the newcastle striker options

Has been injured, and not many would get into a team with Ba and Cisse performing the way they are.

On another note I think posts like the one questioning McCarthy pulling out above are best be ignored, people clearly love to get reactions from anything

Well it's just that he has pulled out of squads regularly enough, and his commitment to the republic has been suspect at best.
    My views are probably influenced by the Stephen Ireland granny fiasco. Just feel that if it was robbie Keane or Richard dunne they would still be going. This tournament only comes around once every 4 years.

I really would just take this on face value!!! People react differently to news like this and although i understand what you say about past squad pull-outs, this is different! I just don't think it should it be questioned, as i've said, it is what it is and hopefully, it has a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That's a pretty scummy thing to be saying. His father has cancer ffs. He doesn't want to be off on the continent for a month. It's perfectly fair that somebody would pull out of the squad in that situation. Questioning his commitment and speculating what other players would do in the situation is disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

McShane on standby instead of Clark is a strange one for me. Clark can play at CB and LB and has played in midfield whereas McShane can play... well nowhere really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Stephen Ireland's girlfriend/wife or whatever she is had a miscarriage, he handled it terribly but I've long excused his actions and it was a valid excuse on it's own to pull out. He was probably very committed to the team but became disillusioned because of how he was treated by the papers/idiot fans when he dropped out.

McCarthy chose Ireland over Scotland and has been unwavering in his commitment to that decision even when the shíte was being perpetuated about him the same as it was about Ireland. It's perfectly fair he doesn't want to miss out on potential final weeks/months with his dad for the tournament which he probably would have played a bit part role in.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

happy enough with the squad, theres no glaring omissions,
    mcshane & green not making the squad is a relief, 2 of the poorest players ever to play for us!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Liam O wrote: »
    Stephen Ireland's girlfriend/wife or whatever she is had a miscarriage, he handled it terribly but I've long excused his actions and it was a valid excuse on it's own to pull out. He was probably very committed to the team but became disillusioned because of how he was treated by the papers/idiot fans when he dropped out.

McCarthy chose Ireland over Scotland and has been unwavering in his commitment to that decision even when the shíte was being perpetuated about him the same as it was about Ireland. It's perfectly fair he doesn't want to miss out on potential final weeks/months with his dad for the tournament which he probably would have played a bit part role in.

Or did she?.

The fella told so many lies,how do we know what to believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement