Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

The Good Day Deli in Nano Nagle place is a mix of veggie and vegan. They have a sustainable food ethic. Nice little spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭sporina

D'Agger wrote: »
    Honorable shoutout to Umi for lunch

sorry but I have had thee worst falafels there not once but twice - won't be returning
    Cafe Paradiso would be the best, menu wise anyway but more €€ than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

D'Agger wrote: »
    Honorable shoutout to Umi for lunch
    sporina wrote: »
    sorry but I have had thee worst falafels there not once but twice - won't be returning

I haven't had any issue with the quality of food there but the service is appalling. Have been in 3/4 times and the staff have been rude on each occasion.

On one occasion, I was given the wrong order. Understandable that it can happen but when I raised the issue, I got the head eaten off me, bag grabbed out of my hand, while the staff member was muttering about having to change it, and then told I would be put to the bottom of the order queue. Bit of an issue as I was running in on my lunch break.

On other occasions, I've seen staff give out to customers for moving seats (seriously, it can't be that hard to find people in there and even if they move, you don't really get to give a lecture) or for moving away from the queuing area while waiting (which is immediately by the front door. if you stand there, you're just blocking the entrance so I can see why people feel uncomfortable!!)

Wouldn't recommend anyone go in there TBH.

If it's falafel you want, head to East in the Winthrop Arcade. Lovely food, fresh ingredients and, in my experience, great service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sporina, what's your issue with the falafel in Umi?
    I've been several times and really like it. Could argue that the falafel is a little too crunchy but I don't mind that.

I've never had an issue with service or staff, either. In fact, I find it, generally, very friendly.

After Rocketman wanted to charge me €0.50 for a few slices of jalapeño I haven't returned to East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My Goodness in the English Market are all vegan, mostly raw too. Gorgeous healthy food, no seating unfortunately.

Another vote for East too.

There's the cafe in the Quay Co-op also, haven't eaten there myself in ages and the food as I remember it was just grand, but a nice option id you want a sit down place without the cafe paradiso prices.

Liberty Grill will have something as well, you might be limited to one dish though. I had their "neuvos rancheros" (they get points for the name alone!) which was delish.

House Café in the Opera House does mostly vegetarian and vegan food. Haven't been in a while but I used to really like it.

Sporina, what's your issue with the falafel in Umi?
    I've been several times and really like it. Could argue that the falafel is a little too crunchy but I don't mind that.

I've never had an issue with service or staff, either. In fact, I find it, generally, very friendly.

After Rocketman wanted to charge me €0.50 for a few slices of jalapeño I haven't returned to East.

whats my issue? more a case of issues! no flavour of them, totally over cooked and clearly not cooked fresh - cold - hard as a rock.. and like breakcrumbs in the middle...

I was just back from a trip where I had had loads of fab middle eastern food and so was craving mad for falafels,, Umi's were so bad they were funny..

We tried again just in case they were having a bad day but they are just as bad - consistently so.

Rocketman's falafals are the best I have had in cork - though not been to Sultan..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

Shame about the bad Umi experiences, I've been there a fair few times, found it friendly and enjoyed the food, would recommend it any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

nerwen wrote: »
    Shame about the bad Umi experiences, I've been there a fair few times, found it friendly and enjoyed the food, would recommend it any day.

I was in a phase of having them once or twice a week and never experienced any of the above either.

I feel all I do now is report back on elbow lane but it just gets better every time I go in.

The staff blow me away every-time . The food is flawless everything about the place is spot on.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I was in a phase of having them once or twice a week and never experienced any of the above either.

never had a bad experience with the staff myself - and actually they gave me a small portion of hummous on the house on one of the two visits I made there,,,

but I have eaten falafels far and wide.. and i won't say what I would use theirs for - sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I feel all I do now is report back on elbow lane but it just gets better every time I go in.

The staff blow me away every-time . The food is flawless everything about the place is spot on.

I am going to have to ask people to stop recommending it, because I cannot get in the bloody door it is so busy! Three times in the last few months, and three fails. A Thursday night in January, when everyone should be Stoney broke, rocked up at 7pm and told they were full until last table at 10pm.

pwurple wrote: »
    I am going to have to ask people to stop recommending it, because I cannot get in the bloody door it is so busy!

It's the only problem with the place :D

never had a bad experience with the staff myself - and actually they gave me a small portion of hummous on the house on one of the two visits I made there,,,

but I have eaten falafels far and wide.. and i won't say what I would use theirs for - sorry

Have you tried Eoin's? He does a lot of the farmers markets around cork city/ballincollig/wilton. Mostly Falafel and burritos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

ya really enjoy umi, it's not as good as east but it's not fair to compare it's not in the same price range. A drink, sandwich and side in umi for lunch is €7, great value and tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Umi is okay. The falafel is bit flavourless but cheap and cheerful I guess. One time I was there I asked for a glass of water. Had to ask three times. Eventually the waitress just said in a very snappy way “the dishwasher is on and full of glasses, what am I supposed to do?”. Was there for about an hour! Dishwasher hardly takes an hour.

East is lovely but I got very sick after it. Was vomiting for about 8 hours and had to take the next day off work. Now I don’t know if it was the falafel or a vomiting bug but it definitely wasn’t food poisoning as my friend ate there with me and was grand. Also I’ve been sick a few times after eating a large amount of beans/pulses so think I’ve some sort of intolerance to them in large amounts. And the East falefels are big! Now I just associate the place with getting sick so can’t go there again...shame as they are the best in Cork!

Lia Lia,

Its very unfair to post about a food outlet and being sick when you are pretty sure that it wasn't the fault of the outlet.
    You associate that place with being sick and now you have given other people on this thread that association. It's really not fair.
    (and I'm not even a fan of the place for reasons already given)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This place was listed in the top 100 restaurants in Ireland in the Irish Times last weekend - must give it a go.

leahyl wrote: »
    This place was listed in the top 100 restaurants in Ireland in the Irish Times last weekend - must give it a go.

While deserts not something I care a huge amount about some of the deserts I've had in there I've never seen anywhere and wouldn't be out of place in a star'd restaurant.

I must look at where it placed in the 100 it;d be in my top 10!

• Advertisement

While deserts not something I care a huge amount about some of the deserts I've had in there I've never seen anywhere and wouldn't be out of place in a star'd restaurant.

I would love to try Elbow Lane but I am not a red meat lover - but I adore fish - but would they debone the fish of the day? I would not like to have to negotiate the bones and skin

I would love to try Elbow Lane but I am not a red meat lover - but I adore fish - but would they debone the fish of the day? I would not like to have to negotiate the bones and skin

tbh I'm not sure, "herself" has got the fish of the day each time and did have a few bone issues but we never thought to ask them.

Don't think they were ranked - just listed 100 restaurants around the country -broken down by county. Some of the others in Cork were Cafe Paradiso, Iyers, Miyazaki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Where'd be the best pub in Douglas for food? Tried Barry's before and wasn't impressed with the service at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Where'd be the best pub in Douglas for food? Tried Barry's before and wasn't impressed with the service at all.

Service in O'Sullivan's is very good at lunch time anyway. I haven't been there in the evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

The South County is very nice.

• Advertisement

Lia Lia,

Its very unfair to post about a food outlet and being sick when you are pretty sure that it wasn't the fault of the outlet.
    You associate that place with being sick and now you have given other people on this thread that association. It's really not fair.
    (and I'm not even a fan of the place for reasons already given)

I did mention in my post that it wasn’t food poisoning or anything like that that made me sick and I actually really enjoyed it! I’d eat there again if it was a smaller portion I was sharing with someone else I’d say. I’ve often read reviews where people said they got sick after eating somewhere and it hasn’t put me off the place.

Apologies if it has turned anyone off the place but I’m sure it was a problem with me and not the food itself... was just sharing my experience about falafel in Cork.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I did mention in my post that it wasn’t food poisoning or anything like that that made me sick and I actually really enjoyed it! I’d eat there again if it was a smaller portion I was sharing with someone else I’d say. I’ve often read reviews where people said they got sick after eating somewhere and it hasn’t put me off the place.

Apologies if it has turned anyone off the place but I’m sure it was a problem with me and not the food itself... was just sharing my experience about falafel in Cork.

I did read the post before I commented on it.
    The mods here seem to see fit to leave it up but I still think is a reckless post about getting sick after eating from a food outlet.

I did read the post before I commented on it.
    The mods here seem to see fit to leave it up but I still think is a reckless post about getting sick after eating from a food outlet.

I see what you mean. It wouldn’t bother me if I read I review like this but it obviously could have a negative effect on others and thus the business itself. Feel free to remove all posts in relation to this, mods! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The South County is very nice.

+1
    Had an evening meal there a few months ago and it was very tasty and the service was very good & friendly.

I often found the service in Barry's to be hit and miss. I've been there at times with the family and waiting ages to be served even though the place wasn't busy. Even food coming to the table was a pretty long wait and no acknowledgment or apology.

Had a fantastic meal in Greene’s during the week. 9 course taster. It was phenomenal, and I think they have a living social voucher or something going on at the moment for it. We had a voucher from Xmas we were using...

They had great thing going on with matching wines as well. 5 glasses (1/2 glasses I guess) of wine plus a port with the cheese course for 45 euro. Or 19 for the “sips” size glass, which was 1/3 of a glass of each. I have never gotten as good value in matching wines for a taster menu. One of those sorbets below was not a course, but we savaged the starter plate of snacks before I got a pic...

wa3mu9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Glad to hear that about Greenes. I have a voucher for a 5 course dinner, I got on living social.

At the moment they have a deal on for a 5 course lunch. The 9 course was there alright but isn’t there at the moment. I’ve seen it on there loads of times though so worth keeping an eye on it. They also sell vouchers for these on their own website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I often found the service in Barry's to be hit and miss. I've been there at times with the family and waiting ages to be served even though the place wasn't busy. Even food coming to the table was a pretty long wait and no acknowledgment or apology.

I went to Barrys a couple of weeks ago and was underwhelmed to say the least. They put 5 of us at what was obviously a 4-person table (which was a bad start!), the menu was very uninspiring, the portions were too small and the service was appalling. Suffice to say that I won't be returning.

The funny thing is: the place was packed! I wonder do the locals prefer to eat out around Douglas rather than heading in to town?

Had brunch in Dockland on Sunday.
    It was pretty good. I really like what they've done with the space - much nicer than Club Brasserie.

Food was good but I have a serious issue with them serving almost all their poached egg dishes in a hollowed out large bread roll ( tasty sourdough roll). It looks kinds funky and is a little unusual but from an eating point of view, it's not a good idea at all. In fact it's a really stupid, gimmicky idea. Eggs were nicely cooked and very tasty, good eggs.

Also my usual brunch gripe: Does every poached egg combination have to come with hollandaise ??

Service was friendly but very inattentive. Despite not being busy at all, we seemed to always be waiting to get the server's attention to order, ask for butter, coffee etc.

Background music was appropriate and at a suitable volume.

If somebody wanted to meet there, I'd have no objection but I'm not sure I'd rush back of my own accord.

I tried the White Rabbit on suggestions here.
    It's American BBQ, without an actual BBQ in sight. None of the food was charred, or had any evidence of seeing a bbq. It was slow cooked steamed meat, loaded in bbq sauce. I would consider it a kind of theme bar, disneyland version of american food. Highly styled in there. Painted corrugated metal was nailed onto the walls to make it look like a shack. 

Food was not the kind of food I like, but it was fine. Ribs were super sweet bbq sauce on very soft ribs. Brisket was soft shredded beef. Nachoes were fine, except their salsa has the same sweetened bbq sauce in it. We had the corn, slaw, beans and green beans. All good. Beer selection is decent. Staff are very nice. I really just don't like sugar in savory food (same reason I can't stand sweet chilli sauce), but if you do, then this is the place for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Can't really argue with most of what you said... Although I do like a sweet/molassesey pork barbecue sauce..(not for beef) And pretty much every rib sauce recipe I've found I've had to half or quarter the sugar in it..
    Like white rabbit over all...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ferrit and Lee in Midleton last night..... Nóm nom nom... My type of grub... Small enough menu (that's a good thing), I had duck confit with mash and red cabbage... Lush,
    1 starter, 2 mains, 1 dessert and half a bottle of sav blanc... 64 euro... Which I thought was pretty decent...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

El Vino Douglas tonight. Me...steak sandwich, herself...Lasange.. pretty good food, decent helpings, staff were really good. please,please to all menus everywhere, there is a difference between chunky chips and fries ! chips is spuds, fries is, well fries, is powder!, so please state what you have on offer truthfully. My sandwich was just right but I was expecting "chips" not fried powder. Wife reckoned the Baked Alaska was as good as she ever ate, and we have eaten in quite a few countries (she loves BA). 2 meals 4 glasses of wine 1 dessert 1 coffee..€70, great value with excellent service...just can't handle them fries. But overall, yeah, a nice gaff,nice food and nice service. I'll be back (but without the fries)

nlrkjos wrote: »
    El Vino Douglas tonight. Me...steak sandwich, herself...Lasange.. pretty good food, decent helpings, staff were really good. please,please to all menus everywhere, there is a difference between chunky chips and fries ! chips is spuds, fries is, well fries, is powder!, so please state what you have on offer truthfully. My sandwich was just right but I was expecting "chips" not fried powder. Wife reckoned the Baked Alaska was as good as she ever ate, and we have eaten in quite a few countries (she loves BA). 2 meals 4 glasses of wine 1 dessert 1 coffee..€70, great value with excellent service...just can't handle them fries. But overall, yeah, a nice gaff,nice food and nice service. I'll be back (but without the fries)

I don't know of anywhere that serves fries constituted from potato powder (not even McDonald's). Many places serve frozen chips, skinny chips, fat chips, great chips, awful chips but they are all made from potatoes.

There was a roadside chip van outside of Inashannon in west Cork run by a Dutch guy that used to do formed chips from powder that he imported from the Netherlands. He switched to frozen chips sometime in the eighties. I haven't come across chips like that since.

How were the chips described on the menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I don't know of anywhere that serves fries constituted from potato powder (not even McDonald's). Many places serve frozen chips, skinny chips, fat chips, great chips, awful chips but they are all made from potatoes.

There was a roadside chip van outside of Inashannon in west Cork run by a Dutch guy that used to do formed chips from powder that he imported from the Netherlands. He switched to frozen chips sometime in the eighties. I haven't come across chips like that since.

How were the chips described on the menu?

You just walloped me over the head with nostalgia there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Headed to Kinsale for the night with my gf and she's keen to try some good steak! Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Headed to Kinsale for the night with my gf and she's keen to try some good steak! Any recommendations?

The Steakhouse is amazing! Make sure you book though as it’s quite small and can be busy.

https://www.thesteakhouse.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

bee06 wrote: »
    The Steakhouse is amazing! Make sure you book though as it’s quite small and can be busy.

https://www.thesteakhouse.ie/

Top notch recommendation, thank you!

Steaks were perfect, calamari tempura was also outstanding. Lovely decor and great staff. Honestly one of the best meals I've ever had!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Top notch recommendation, thank you!

Steaks were perfect, calamari tempura was also outstanding. Lovely decor and great staff. Honestly one of the best meals I've ever had!

Glad to hear it! It’s one of my favourite restaurants! No one I’ve recommended it to has ever had a bad meal there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

First time at the Good Day Deli. Had poached eggs on toast. Wanted the Brioche but it wasn't available. Food was great so I may have to go back tomorrow for the Brioche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Went to Gallaghers for lunch yesterday. I had the pancakes from the brunch menu. They were served with maple syrup, pine nuts and ricotta. They were nice, but personally I felt the ricotta didn’t work with them. The texture of it left if all feeling a bit mushy. Maybe a creamy mascarpone would have worked better. My husband had the burger, it was fantastic. He reckons it’s the best burger he’s had in a long long time. It was served with garlic mayo and bacon jam whatever the hell that is! But it still tasted really fresh and light even with those flavours going on. Service was good and the coffee was lovely. Their orange juice was gorgeous too. Will definitely be back.

ncmc wrote: »
    Went to Gallaghers for lunch yesterday. I had the pancakes from the brunch menu. They were served with maple syrup, pine nuts and ricotta. They were nice, but personally I felt the ricotta didn’t work with them. The texture of it left if all feeling a bit mushy. Maybe a creamy mascarpone would have worked better. My husband had the burger, it was fantastic. He reckons it’s the best burger he’s had in a long long time. It was served with garlic mayo and bacon jam whatever the hell that is! But it still tasted really fresh and light even with those flavours going on. Service was good and the coffee was lovely. Their orange juice was gorgeous too. Will definitely be back.

Odd that they served the ricotta with the pancakes and not in the mix of the pancakes

Ricotta pancakes are another level when done well.

Odd that they served the ricotta with the pancakes and not in the mix of the pancakes

Ricotta pancakes are another level when done well.
    Yes this was just plonked on top, the texture just didn’t work IMO. Have never had ricotta pancakes but they sound savage!

Meant to say that I was in Electric a few weeks ago and had a gorgeous buttermilk chicken burger - it was so tasty, service was friendly and it was nice and comfortable in there - haven't been in a while. This was in the bar, not the restaurant. The menu was perfect for what we wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Finally got my Brioche French Toast at the Good Day Deli :)

14acnt.png

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    Finally got my Brioche French Toast at the Good Day Deli :)

14acnt.png

That looks amazing! Can I ask how much it cost?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement