Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting ex again after 12 years

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Geraldo

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi! Everyone, thanks very much for all your replies. It was very interesting to hear people being so positive about meeting up with an Ex. However, I decided not to go there - it was so painful to get over him the first time - even though I was the one who moved abroad because of family trauma. I'm also too embarrassed about my weight - I developed an underactive thyroid 10 years ago, and I find it very difficult to loose weight even though I am on medication for it. Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply - much appreciated!
    If he's still on your mind after 12 years then you probably should meet him. At the very least it might help bring some closure. Don't mind the weight issue. If he has a problem with that then you'll know you dodged a bullet. More than likely he won't be bothered though.
    Either way, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! All, thanks for all the replies - food for though! However, didn't end as I thought. My sister knew I was going to chicken out as we, the kids and I, had decided to go away to our holiday home in South East for Xmas, so wasn't going to be here to meet him, except weekend before Xmas. She persuaded me to text him and let him know that, and to suggest meeting up the weekend before Xmas or one of the weekends leading up to it - which I did, I suggested he call or text me then. I also said that while I don't remember dates and times like he did, I do remember the great conversations and chats we had, and that I had thought about contacting him previously when we were in Kildare for a wedding - he was teaching there - but was a little afraid to - he had been really angry when I moved to Australia all those years ago, saying he never wanted to see me again because of breaking up - I didn't want him to think that I had just broken up with someone and he was a rebound, and he had said he had hugely fond memories and was really looking forward to meeting. However, I got no reply at all - that was a week ago. I presume that means he has changed his mind. I know his sisters never liked me as I came from a one parent family myself - I don't know if they have influenced him. Now, they may feel that he could end up dating me and I am a single mother - though my kids are teenagers, I'm financially independent, have a good job, my own home and our holiday home. He knows I have a good job and am at a senior level, and that I live in the same house I bought when we were going out together. He does teach religion and music in a school, so maybe even friendship or the potential of more with a single mum wouldn't be acceptable. I was very influenced by Quakerism when I was at a Quaker school, and became a Quaker ten years ago, which he also knows - as we used to joke about what wonderful religion/spiritual tradition I was going to end up in! Maybe this is a big no no too! Anyway, I will never know now! Thanks agai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Hi Hannaho,

Another possibility is he could be thinking about your text. He might have similar sort of doubts that you had.

I'm always open to the possibilty of texts that go missing, phone problems, etc.

Don't rule it out just yet.:)

Wish you well Hann ;)

Hi! All,

I did finally meet my ex - I had made an excuse, but a friend had arranged to meet us both, and didn't say to either of us that the other was coming. She left us a lone after half an hour, and we chatted for three hours solidly until I had to collect my kids from a friends house. He insisted on walking me to my car, took my hands and said he would have to have several brandys on the way home to get over the meeting; that he would ring me, I said I was away until 18th Jan - and maybe ring me after that. We laughed/joked etc. - that was a week before Xmas. He had also put on a lot of weight and probably looked older than his years. He said I looked about 10 years younger than my age - which a lot of people say. He told me he hadn't been in a relationship for 10 years as he had been in a very abusive relationship where the girl told him she had a lesbian partner after 7 years together.

Fast forward Christmas Eve - 6 days after we me - I sent a text to wish him Happy Xmas, said I was just going away for three wks which he knew, that I like him had been really nervous about meeting up, but was glad that we did; that I hoped we couldn't lose touch and could meet up now and then as friends - he comes home every third weekend to look after his mother - so I said if on those weekends he was ever at a lose end, he could phone me for coffee/drink. I didn't hear anything back until today - thought it might just be Xmas - got a text this p.m. saying he didn't want us to be in contact with each other again!!! I can't understand what happened - people who know him said there is no one else in his life, he told me so himself. In any case, he was my best friend during the years we went out, and I am quite happy just to meet up every so often and be friends - I sincerely, would value his friendship - does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Look - you met, had a laugh, had a great time. Sadly, he doesn't want to meet you again. He obviously has his reasons for not wanting to keep in contact and you have to respect that. I suppose, at least he was honest.

For you? You met him and 'scratched the itch'. You're no longer wondering 'What if?'. You have your answer.

Let it go and live your life. New Year - New YOU!!

Happy New Year!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I agree with the previous post. New year, new you.

Cherish the memories. Go make new ones.

Happy new year!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Two possibilities: 1. He is just not interested in having any kind of relationship with you. 2. He wants a relationship with you, and is either too scared to pursue it so is blocking you out to protect himself, or he didn't think you were interested in him, and he's again protecting himself.

What do you want from him? Is it friendship or a relationship? I think if it's just friendship, you should let it go at this point and move on. If it's a relationship, I'd personally be inclined to not let it go as easily.

Hi! Faith,

I want a relationship, but I would never push him - I know he went through 7 years with this girl, who I know from others, also had an alochol problem - he didn't leave her, which I can and can't understand. Everyone knew of their rows - they were legendary. I wasn't there at the time, but I know he was bereft when she left and moved in with her girlfriend - he had thought over many years that she wasn't attracted to him, but she was actually gay. I know he has been through a lot and I wouldn't want to push him - also its not my style.

Oh, absolutely don't push him, you're right. I'd probably respond to the text with something like "Hi john, I'm sorry to hear you don't want to be in touch any more. I really enjoyed seeing you again and I must admit, I'd hoped that maybe we would have a chance to explore rekindling our relationship. However, I totally respect your decision. All the best, hannaho".

That's just me though. I can't leave well enough alone, so I'm quite sure others would say that this is terrible advice and you should just leave it. Technically, even replying goes against his wish to not be in contact, but just given that you specifically said to him "that I hoped we couldn't lose touch and could meet up now and then as friends", I'd wonder if he realised you had a romantic interest in him, or if he saw the friends comment as an indication that you were no longer attracted to him in the slightest and was hurt by that.

Hi! Faith, I didn't want to frighten him by mentioning a relationship. I also said during our conversations about our past relationships that I thought good friendship was the basis of any good relationship - in the end, even if he met someone tomorrow, I would still be happy to meet up for coffee now and again and catch up. I think your're right though, I'll just text back and say I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't want to have contact again, but I respect his wishes, and leave it at that. Thanks so much for the advice.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry it didn't work out that way you hoped it would, but at least you gave it a shot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Hannaho wrote: »
    Hi! Faith, I didn't want to frighten him by mentioning a relationship. I also said during our conversations about our past relationships that I thought good friendship was the basis of any good relationship - in the end, even if he met someone tomorrow, I would still be happy to meet up for coffee now and again and catch up. I think your're right though, I'll just text back and say I'm sorry to hear that he doesn't want to have contact again, but I respect his wishes, and leave it at that. Thanks so much for the advice.

You're very wise about it, kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I was bored tonight, and looking through boards for something interesting when I came across your post.... which the voyeur in me found a bit intriguing. So here's the man's point of view, fwiw....

I think you underestimate what you're leaving might have done to him... If you look at it, he was with you for three years (with the possibility of marriage) and you moved away from him, then married and had kids with somebody else.. Then he was with a second woman for seven years and she left him for a woman... So you'd forgive him for not embracing the idea of giving his heart away again... Maybe meeting you again just reminded him of the initial rejection and brought back all that pain...?

Also, you are the one who initiated this, so you've had a lot longer to think through what you wanted from the meeting... This has all pretty much landed on him, so I'm sure he needs a bit of time to get his head together..

Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭honey79

Faith wrote: »
    I'm sorry it didn't work out that way you hoped it would, but at least you gave it a shot :)

Exactly no what if's now like most of us that were not as brave as OP
    Well done on going to meet him in the first place x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Can't add to this but agree with suggestion above to text & say you're very sorry to hear it, you respect his decision but would love to hear from him in the future if things change.

Then move on with your own life. It appears he's not in a place to have a relationship now but who knows, that may change.

Sorry it didn't work out but I still think you had to give it a shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Hi op glad you met up with him after all these years. Im sorry it didnt work for you. But as faith said it could have been selfpresavition on his part. I would drop him a text & let him know you will be there for him if he needs a friend. As I saId meeting a ex can give closure but it can also lead to questions. My very first boyfriend has just got back in contact with me after well over 20yrs.

Advertisement