Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The VGC 2015 thread

• 10-08-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

I looked and couldn't see a thread so hopefully there isn't one yet! I know there's probably not huge demand for it but might be a few other nerds like myself out there who would enjoy it.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/pokemon-tournaments/vg-world-championships/

Takes place in Boston, August 21st-23rd and will be streamed live on twitch I believe. Watched it last year and was class. Proper commentary too by Scott Glaza(former competitive player) and Evan Latt. I'm way too excited about it. If anyone watches Aaron Zheng on YouTube he's competing in the masters.

If you're into competitive battling, this is essentially the creme dela creme all under one roof, usually a few obscure pokemon and strategies used too, Pachirisu had a huge influence last year. Think it'll be on late enough for European times, not sure exactly what times I'll post that when I find out.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd be kinda surprised if Pachi did as well this year. I know I had a friend try out the strategy, and with a LO & Sheer Force boosted Earth Power from a Nidoking, I was able to OHKO. Once you know what it's about, it's a relatively easy counter.

I guess my point here is, I hate Pachirisu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Angron wrote: »
    I'd be kinda surprised if Pachi did as well this year. I know I had a friend try out the strategy, and with a LO & Sheer Force boosted Earth Power from a Nidoking, I was able to OHKO. Once you know what it's about, it's a relatively easy counter.

I guess my point here is, I hate Pachirisu.

Pachirisu won't this year, but there'll probably be an almost equally as unexpected pokemon to go far this year. Ever since worlds 2014 Pachirisu became regularish in the metagame. That said it's still an annoying team to come up against. Last year they only had access to the Kalos pokedex, this year the choices are greater so teams should, in theory at least be more varied. Though I'd say Mega Kangaskhan will still be the most common pokemon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Probably. I imagine mega Mence will be right up there too. As always, there's likely to be a healthy smattering of Rotom-W and H, Landorus, perhaps even a decent return for Terrakion. I'd love to see a team with a Mamoswine get far, I've used one as a staple of many of my teams, you can't underestimate just how hard it can hit.

Probably. I imagine mega Mence will be right up there too. As always, there's likely to be a healthy smattering of Rotom-W and H, Landorus, perhaps even a decent return for Terrakion. I'd love to see a team with a Mamoswine get far, I've used one as a staple of many of my teams, you can't underestimate just how hard it can hit.

I was out of the game for pokemon black and white and B2/W2 (I played Black when it came out but a lot of things happened and I stopped playing pokemon for a while) and I still haven't gotten over how much things have changed since diamond and pearl. Alakazam used to be the go to special attacker and now he's unheard of. Blissey was to standard wall, again now unheard of. Garchomp has been nerfed a lot too. Probably down to the fairy typing but still amazes me.

You're spot on with your predictions there I'd say! Probably a lot of Sylveons, Heatrans and Thundurus's too. Maybe Hydreigon's too? I think/hope the winning teams won't be very standard though.

Main reason for the drop in Blissey seems to be that Eviolite Chansey does the same job, but better really. I suppose another thing is, outright walls seem to be a bit less common, at least from what I remember of the VGC stuff I have watched.

Yeah, those are reasonable shouts, I remember seeing a few Hydreigon during some US regionals. I remember seeing a decent amount of Mega Metagross too.

• Advertisement

Main reason for the drop in Blissey seems to be that Eviolite Chansey does the same job, but better really. I suppose another thing is, outright walls seem to be a bit less common, at least from what I remember of the VGC stuff I have watched.

Yeah, those are reasonable shouts, I remember seeing a few Hydreigon during some US regionals. I remember seeing a decent amount of Mega Metagross too.

Yeah doubles format, and particularly VGC where there's a shorter time limit seems to make walls/spikes/stealth rock etc far less effective.

Hmm, kinda want to give Reckless Staraptor a go now. Some good battling so far, I wish I was good enough to go some year!

Shame it was once again overrun with Kang and Landorus.

Crazy about the guys arrested with guns trying to attend. http://kotaku.com/boston-police-arrest-two-armed-men-who-allegedly-threat-1726000452

It was slightly disappointing this year I thought. Gamefreak definitely need to do something about some of the over used pokemon. Either give us better megas or nerf it so teams don't have to be built purely around countering Kangaskhan. Landorus probably shouldn't have been allowed this year either, yeah.

What a domination by Japan this year! 7 of the top 8 in the masters division.

Shame it was once again overrun with Kang and Landorus.

Crazy about the guys arrested with guns trying to attend. http://kotaku.com/boston-police-arrest-two-armed-men-who-allegedly-threat-1726000452

I just can't believe how those guys are able to get their hands on automatic rifles. Pretty bizarre story, they could just be gun nuts that like to carry them around but even so, bizarre and stupid.

• Advertisement

See, the problem with them being gun nuts who just like to carry them around is they also had a huge amount of ammo. That's not an enthusiast, that's psychopathic.

See, the problem with them being gun nuts who just like to carry them around is they also had a huge amount of ammo. That's not an enthusiast, that's psychopathic.

"But it's our right, bad guys have them too!!" is unfortunately a valid argument in the states.

Advertisement