Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying improvers left handed guitar - waltons

• 16-10-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have been playing guitar for quite a few years but have been picking it up less and less over the last few years due to work and other commitments.

I have a Waltons voucher which I would like to add to buy an upgraded left handed guitar. Max would be €500.

I would consider myself intermediate and now want to take up guitar more regularly and improve. I have a Yamaha f310 which I have been using since I first started playing but I want to upgrade to a better quality. I think this would also spur me on to play more and enjoy it with a better sound.

I play a wide variety, enjoy some finger picking and normal chord playing.

Brands I'v seen online that fit my budget are LAG TL300, Epiphone 1964 Texan jumbo. Any thoughts on these? If I'm spending this amount, will it make much of a difference on sound and action if I bought a righty and changed the strings?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Hi,
    I can see two problems for you straight away - firstly Waltons don't seem to have much in the way of acoustic leftys, and secondly the Yamaha you already have really is a fantastic beginner-level guitar, so your new one won't be such a huge step up that it would be if you currently had a crap guitar!

The two guitars you picked out are much better-looking than the Yamaha, both are beautiful guitars and higher quality as you'd expect, but don't be surprised if they don't sound a hell of a lot better at first, being mostly solid wood they will improve with age, the Yamaha won't.

Personally I would go for the epiphone, I think they are better-built guitars than the LAGs, but for you I would think the fact that the epiphone is a jumbo would make a bigger difference, do you find that size more or less comfortable to play? If you are tied to Waltons I don't see a better lefty on their site than these two, they are both fine guitars, it comes down to personal preference. Have you played them? Playability/comfort, followed by tone, followed by looks would be my criteria. If you aren't necessarily tied to Waltons I'd look at Takamine, Tanglewood, and the cheaper Martins or Taylors.

As for switching a righty, you'd need to swap the nut, and probably the bridge. I don't think there would be a big difference in tone, but I've never done it

Good luck, buying a new instrument is fun, but beware, it can be addictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,164 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

as regards action and playability, i'd advise to spend some time in walton and play them all and see what suits you best....the best guitar for you may be cheaper than you think...

Advertisement