Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used car inspection

Options
  • 10-07-2012 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Just looking for people's opinion on the car inspection service offered by the AA, Motorcheck and others.
    I will shortly be in the market for a used car and I don't have an established relationship with a mechanic, and haven't got the knowledge myself to make sure I am not being ripped off despite reading Limerickman's advice.
    Are these services good value for money? Are they thorough, trustworthy etc?
    Thanks in advance foe any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They're very expensive, as in €3-400. My advice is when you find a car you want examined then post up here asking for recommendations for a trustworthy local mechanic - shouldn't cost more than about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I have been thinking the same lately as my mechanic friend can only view cars with me on a sunday.

However the major drawbacks i can see with it if say using Motorcheck is that you have to commit guts of 200 beans to a car that is an unknown quantity and if it's a case that the car shows up any problems on the report even before you go to view it you are out of pocket for the inspection. Also if you look at the car and don't have a mechanic friend with you and say provisionally agree a price that suits you both and the seller gets an idea you are ding a motorcheck then if the car gets the all clear he may chance his arm on price again as he knows you are unlikely to walk away after dropping 200 bean.

Tricky one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thorough, but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

RST wrote: »
    Just looking for people's opinion on the car inspection service offered by the AA, Motorcheck and others.
    I will shortly be in the market for a used car and I don't have an established relationship with a mechanic, and haven't got the knowledge myself to make sure I am not being ripped off despite reading Limerickman's advice.
    Are these services good value for money? Are they thorough, trustworthy etc?
    Thanks in advance foe any feedback.

maybe try these
    http://www.mobilemechanics.ie/about-us/

cost 120 will do the electronics inspection etc.....

in Dublin though, not sure where your based. make sure you ring garage and dont go booking him and finding the NCT out like I did..... :)

Advertisement