Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing duct tape from body of guitar?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, as the title says, what is the best way to do this without damaging the guitar's finish.

Any and all advice welcome. :cool:

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

If it were me, I'd run a hairdryer over it on low heat to soften the glue up a bit, particularly if the duct tape as been there a while, and the tape should remove pretty easily. After that, a couple of alcohol wipes or similar to remove the residual adhesive, and it should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

mike_ie wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd run a hairdryer over it on low heat to soften the glue up a bit, particularly if the duct tape as been there a while, and the tape should remove pretty easily. After that, a couple of alcohol wipes or similar to remove the residual adhesive, and it should be good.

Cool I'll try that if I end up getting this guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Wd 40 will dissolve it !

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Wd 40 will dissolve it !

How will that affect the finish/body of the guitar?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Zippo lighter fluid (naptha) will clean off the sticky stuff without damaging the guitar finish (might take a few tries and some patience). I wouldn't be smoking while doing it though.

I've also heard that WD40 should do the job (without harming the guitar finish), though I've never tried it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I had all kinds of ****e on an old bass. Stickers, Sellotape, duct tape. They'd been on it for almost 20 years. WD40 removed it all without affecting the finish (which i assume is poly and not nitro).

Advertisement