Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda s2000 buying advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

yes, why not get an accord.

as long as you dont get a lemon like this you should be fine.

Did something die in it???

Why do you need 2 air fresheners?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Did something die in it???

Why do you need 2 air fresheners?

4..:D

i need to throw out the used ones...

that and the dead bodies in the boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

This is a bit like a RX8 thread:D Loads of advice, some of it dodgy! Moody might be the best word for the S2000 - Castrol edgeTD 5w40or Fuchs pro-s 5w40 are the only oils it tolerates without throwing out the doodsy, they like to eat a litre every 1000miles, if pre 2004, and if you don't feed it this and rev it like usual, the engines will sh1t themselves for sure, with repair being totally uneconomic amd almost nobody in Ireland knowing how to rebuild them.
    Timing chains cack themselves due to tensioner issues not usually fixed by replacing the tensioner, the diffs like to explode if not babied and minded, gearboxes are hugely fussy about oil(synthetic 75w80, only the good stuff) and the suspension needs an expert to set it up properly(if the bushes have not all seized first, requiring polybushing)- parts tend to be dear, experts few and far between and they are fussy about what rubber you run them on.
    If you are going to get one, get one owned by an enthusiast who knows the score and has babied it and fed it properly, or else you are buying a money pit that will look pretty on your driveway.:) If you buy a neglected one, you will spend your savings on repairs, guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

yes, why not get an accord.

Because they're boring...

Pottler wrote: »
    This is a bit like a RX8 thread:D Loads of advice, some of it dodgy! Moody might be the best word for the S2000 - Castrol edgeTD 5w40or Fuchs pro-s 5w40 are the only oils it tolerates without throwing out the doodsy, they like to eat a litre every 1000miles, if pre 2004, and if you don't feed it this and rev it like usual, the engines will sh1t themselves for sure, with repair being totally uneconomic amd almost nobody in Ireland knowing how to rebuild them.
    Timing chains cack themselves due to tensioner issues not usually fixed by replacing the tensioner, the diffs like to explode if not babied and minded, gearboxes are hugely fussy about oil(synthetic 75w80, only the good stuff) and the suspension needs an expert to set it up properly(if the bushes have not all seized first, requiring polybushing)- parts tend to be dear, experts few and far between and they are fussy about what rubber you run them on.
    If you are going to get one, get one owned by an enthusiast who knows the score and has babied it and fed it properly, or else you are buying a money pit that will look pretty on your driveway.:) If you buy a neglected one, you will spend your savings on repairs, guaranteed.

more the reason not to get a one for 5 grand and hope for the best.

Any place that has a hunter alignment system should be ok for tweaking the suspension.

the Engine I imagine should be pretty bomb proof, i use 5/30 doesn't use any oil.

Also the exhaust system of that S2K will cost £££ if it needs tending to.

nice Fujitsubo Legalis-R here., over a grand though. Probably boring also for some.

7510619322_f36374d777_z.jpg

7510617676_dcde7056d5_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Engine got a re-design in '04. Pre- 04 they are anything but bombproof. Dropped valves are common and it's 3k for a good used engine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 UpTheTreaty

Pottler wrote: »
    Engine got a re-design in '04. Pre- 04 they are anything but bombproof. Dropped valves are common and it's 3k for a good used engine.....

In 2004 Honda made the F22C, which was a 2.2Litre , however this was only released in America and later in 2006 in Japan. All Irish/UK cars have the same F20C (2Litre) engine.

Dropped valves are not common, you can get cracked valve retainers, but this only happens if you over-rev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

This is very good value OP with the hardtop and clifford alarm.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3594707

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

That's a nice example alright, i would still be inclined to get an Accord Euro-R

Something like this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3548569

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jimbob 83 wrote: »
    That's a nice example alright, i would still be inclined to get an Accord Euro-R

i am prety sure thats sold. the lad on DTDIRL.IE has it.

anyway, why are we still talking about fat saloon in a thread about roadster?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Because im not a hairdresser !

Jimbob 83 wrote: »

He wants a s2000 though :confused:
    I've owned both btw, s2000 > Euro R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

No pics of the interior and front bumper has been replaced with a facelift one, no reason to assume it's because of damage, but probably worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭markoire

This is very good value OP with the hardtop and clifford alarm.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3594707

Its in my driveway!!! Went to see it yesterday morning and had a good look over. Bought it this evening and have been out enjoying the hell out of it for the last few hours!!
    Will upload some pics as soon as I get a chance. Owner got a few bits and pieces done to it including new front bumper and new door cards. Was brought in from the UK in 2008, delighted with it. One or two small things to get sorted out but only the usual early days teething problems!!
    Thanks everybody for all the help. Oh, and I also used to own a CL7 euro r. S2000 wins hands down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

markoire wrote: »
    Its in my driveway!!! Went to see it yesterday morning and had a good look over. Bought it this evening and have been out enjoying the hell out of it for the last few hours!!
    Will upload some pics as soon as I get a chance. Owner got a few bits and pieces done to it including new front bumper and new door cards. Was brought in from the UK in 2008, delighted with it. One or two small things to get sorted out but only the usual early days teething problems!!
    Thanks everybody for all the help. Oh, and I also used to own a CL7 euro r. S2000 wins hands down :D

Welcome to the club :D

• Advertisement

markoire wrote: »

Great news. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Good job m8. Welcome to the hairdresser club! Enjoy your stay! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well done but for the love of all that is good take it easy for the first few weeks. Also make sure the rear tyres are a decent quality, my brothers S2000 doesnt have the best tyres and the car is very squirmy even in the dry

There is a good reason why there are so many damaged S2000`s in scrap yards in the UK :)

I'd second this. If the tyres are worn or not a great brand, budget like hell for GOOD new tyres (I've had great success with Goodyear Eagle F1's) & a properly symmetry setup. Once that's done, you can have a bit more confidence in her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Congrats enjoy the car! x2 to a symmetry setup too it really does make a difference on s2000s, keep out of vtec on roundabouts and you'll be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

That looks remarkably like an S2000 I went to view with a friend last summer.

It was an '01 also in Laois with retro fitted red leather interior with 90k-ish miles on the clock.

01-D-9xxxx If I remember correctly. Owned by a relatively young guy.

There was a dent in the sub frame underneath the door and the rear axle had yellow paint/writing on it, similar to replacement parts you would get from a scrap yard.

Needless to say , we walked away for obvious reasons.

My mate ended up with an Irish '00 model, including hard top and spare set of alloys and only 60k miles at the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

Generally a very reliable motor. The timing chain tensioners are a bit annoying in them. So make sure it's been changed.
    Best way to check is turn the engine off when warm and turn back on again. If you hear a high pitched tick that's out of the ordinary, then that's the tensioner. I wouldn't worry unless it was ticking all of the time. They are relatively easy to change.

I've had mine for a year now and I love it with not one bit of bother.

Ps. Welcome to the club. Check out s2ki.com and the s2000 owners club Ireland on Facebook. There's a good community there.

ION08 wrote: »
    That looks remarkably like an S2000 I went to view with a friend last summer.

It was an '01 also in Laois with retro fitted red leather interior with 90k-ish miles on the clock.

01-D-9xxxx If I remember correctly. Owned by a relatively young guy.

There was a dent in the sub frame underneath the door and the rear axle had yellow paint/writing on it, similar to replacement parts you would get from a scrap yard.

Needless to say , we walked away for obvious reasons.

My mate ended up with an Irish '00 model, including hard top and spare set of alloys and only 60k miles at the same price.

This one is an LS reg owned by one guy since he brought it in from the UK in 2008. He kept it spotless and it certainly had no dents in the subframe etc! Glad your friend got a good one, they really are amazing cars!

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone, I spent the whole day at work looking forward to driving it this evening!! Delighted with all the advise I got off all the members here, thanks again!! :D

let us know how many points you get. ;)

Advertisement