Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merc CLK230, battery dead and can't open boot.. help!

• 20-05-2011 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

ok so the car was locked, went to use the remote and nothing opened (it's not a prob with the remote) so am guessing battery dead cos car wouldn't start about a month ago, tho got it to start in the end. Wanted to get stuff out of the boot and tried with the manual key but couldn't open the boot (even tho manual key opened the driver's side door). The manual key doesn't seem to go in all the way... In addition, am not sure where the gd battery is... didn't seem to be under the bonnet and the manual tells me it's beside the wheel recess but where the fook is that and if it's in the boot what then? :o
    Can anyone tell me if there's external access to the battery in that car? I have a batter re-charger thingy.
    Any other solutions re the boot, and no, crowbar is not an option :D

Thanks for any help....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I think there should be terminals under the bonnet to plug jump leads onto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There should be switch inside of the car to open boot too. I had clk but it was ages.. You should be able to open with key. I remember it was allways taking awile as you needed to play with a lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HellYes

The switch inside doesn't work now for the boot, all totally dead.

Maybe there's plug points for it in the bonnet but I just don't know my way around in there apart from a few basic things and don't want do to anything wrong. Am thinking now the manual key I have is not right for the boot, but don't have any other one :(

Battery is in a boot, right? Or under the seat? For love of got I don't remember :(. There should be a box to jump start it. Just look for plastic box or any sort of thing with "-" and "+" on it. Just look in m8, it's not rocket science ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

do what i did with my 95 bmw when i locked the keys in the boot,took off the number plate,cut out a little square with the grinder,pulled the latch to open the boot,stuck back on the little square with silicone and put back on the number plate,your car is probably too good for this though.

Mr Lee I'd rather cut meself open and take me intestines out ta very much...

Will check out the link cheers :)

You have to pay for this!

Anyone else any ideas? Any current CLK drivers out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

HellYes wrote: »
    Mr Lee I'd rather cut meself open and take me intestines out ta very much...

Will check out the link cheers :)
    i did say your car was too good to do it,best of luck to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Check your insurance. Do you have homestart ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

There should be a plastic flap under the bonnet with a plus on it. Lift it and connect the positive to the conector under it ( might be two, but either will do) and ground the negative where ever you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,716 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There should be a plastic flap under the bonnet with a plus on it. Lift it and connect the positive to the conector under it ( might be two, but either will do) and ground the negative where ever you can.

+1

It really is that simple. Open bonnet. Look for any bit with a big plus on it. When you find it, open it up and connect the positive jump lead. Connect the negative jump lead anywhere to a ground point. I find many exposed nuts will do.

And be happy you have a good car. All good cars have their batteries somewhere far away from the engine bay :D

mr lee wrote: »
    i did say your car was too good to do it,best of luck to ya.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway (thought you were joking!). Car's actually pretty old but I'll try a few other things first....

No homestart or anything on my insurance.

NorthernMonkey thanks for that too, will give it a go in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

The "emergency" jump point is located under the bonnet, on the passenger (left) side, close to the windscreen. You will see a small area around 40cm x 10cm that also has the OBD II/serial port connector. The battery charge point is here.

the actual main battery is located in the boot, under the mat, next to the spare wheel.

That's great, thanks a million. I actually spotted that this morning but didn't want to risk trying it cos didn't see any obvious battery underneath.. which I wouldn't have since it's not there! Will give it a lash in the morning..

Cheers again :)

You have to pay for this!

Anyone else any ideas? Any current CLK drivers out there?

Emm no... One fella posted from manual abou merc key and blade positions to open the boot as I said it is very Crapy to open it up in clk mercs with a key...

That's great, thanks a million. I actually spotted that this morning but didn't want to risk trying it cos didn't see any obvious battery underneath.. which I wouldn't have since it's not there! Will give it a lash in the morning..

Cheers again :)

the boards.ie is allways happy to help you here lol ;)

Thanks NorthernMonkey and Unkel, you were spot on with the location of the connectors, so have it charging now after a bit of faffing about.
    So now I'm wondering, is the battery actually gone/faulty or is there something using charge even when all switched off, to make it go so flat? Was away for two weeks but would've been away longer with cars before and they still started. What yiz think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

I think there should be terminals under the bonnet to plug jump leads onto.
    +1
    their is terminals under the bonnet. their not marked + or - tho as i was looking at my one. so maybe their both + and you use the body work of the car for - i got into my battery by the back seats one was unlocked. lifted the cover over the booth lock and with a size 10 rachet took out the 2 bolts and boot poped open.
    hope it helps :)

Right lads, i have done the same but to make matters worse i had disconnected the negative in the boot before closing it.

Does that mean i'm proper stuffed?

• Advertisement

Well i managed to squeeze through the rear seat, only the small side was unlocked :rolleyes: lift the carpet and with the tips of my finger get the negative back on.

just enough juice to pop the boot with the fob.

Thats enough fun for one evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

unkel wrote: »
    +1

It really is that simple. Open bonnet. Look for any bit with a big plus on it. When you find it, open it up and connect the positive jump lead. Connect the negative jump lead anywhere to a ground point. I find many exposed nuts will do.

And be happy you have a good car. All good cars have their batteries somewhere far away from the engine bay :D

n/m.

Advertisement