Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netflix

Options
  • 21-12-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi all ,I'm so disappointed .... I was just about to sign up for netflix when somebody just told me that i need an internet connection and before anyone says " what did I expect " ... I m just not well up on those things . I don't have a playstation or a tv with the built in internet so can anyone advise me what is the cheapest way around this.I hoped to have it up and running for Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

puddles59 wrote: »
    Hi all ,I'm so disappointed .... I was just about to sign up for netflix when somebody just told me that i need an internet connection and before anyone says " what did I expect " ... I m just not well up on those things . I don't have a playstation or a tv with the built in internet so can anyone advise me what is the cheapest way around this.I hoped to have it up and running for Christmas.

Netflix is an online service, you need access to the internet to view the database of movies & TV programmes they offer for the region you are viewing from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Something like the Google Chromecast available from Argos would allow you to connect to the internet from your TV over wifi. It will run NetFlix and other streaming services.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=chromecast&authToken=

Don't have it myself so I can't vouch for how well it works.

It is essentially a small computer and plugs into your hdmi port on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Something like the Google Chromecast available from Argos would allow you to connect to the internet from your TV over wifi. It will run NetFlix and other streaming services.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=chromecast&authToken=

Don't have it myself so I can't vouch for how well it works.

It is essentially a small computer and plugs into your hdmi port on the tv.

Op does not have internet.

Op does not have internet.
    I got the impression that it was his TV that didn't have internet connectivity rather than none whatsoever in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If he came back and explained, it would help

• Advertisement

You are right though, there does need to be some sort of internet connection available.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

OP would need internet access to get Netflix or any other streaming service not covered by any subscription they are paying for a terrestrial service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

If he came back and explained, it would help

Can't, he has no internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭puddles59

So sorry for not getting back till now but yes I have broadband .The problem is my tv's are a few years old and I have the saor view combo box .The chromecast attachment sounds like it might solve my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I use Chromecast to watch Netfix and it works fine. As others said you must have broadband (this is a given) but there are some other requirements you should be aware of.

TV must have a HDMI port you can use. The Chromecast also requires USB but this is just for power, if your TV doesn't have a port you can just plug it in to the wall.

You must have wifi in your house. The Chromecast requires this to connect to your Android or iOS device.

You must have a device to control the Chromecast. This is usually an Android or iOS phone or tablet but it looks like you can use it with a Windows computer or Chromebook. If you will need to use the last options then you should do some more research to check exactly how it works.

When it is set up you just use the Netflix app on your device and cast the display to your TV. A bonus of this method is that you can also cast other things, for example YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

HivemindXX wrote: »
    You must have a device to control the Chromecast. This is usually an Android or iOS phone or tablet but it looks like you can use it with a Windows computer or Chromebook. If you will need to use the last options then you should do some more research to check exactly how it works.

It works perfectly well with Windows, you can 'cast' from your laptop to the Chromecast stick same as you can do from an iOS or Android device.

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup/

Advertisement