Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to upgrade?

Options
  • 01-02-2008 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

with regards CPU choice im wondering when i should upgrade for maximum futureproof? should i just get a quad core now or should i wait for the penryn in H2 this year? will there be a big difference in price? should i wait until the end of the year for a more mature penryn?
    will there be a better bang for the buck card than the 8800GT out this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

What have you got now and are you happy with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

its the wifes PC, she has a p4 3.2ghz system. its not about being happy with it, its about cost efficiency of gaming PCs. The PC is over 2 years old now and the most economic way ive found over the years is to upgrade mobo cpu ram and gpu every 2-3 years and sell off your old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Is the wife gaming on it? Or are you giving her your old gaming rig, getting yourself a new one and dumping the P4? I'm confused. As you've already disovered, there's no such thing as "futureproof". There's "levels of obsoleteness". Nothing you buy now for gaming will be usable with components released in 3 years time (either due to replaced standards or due to deliberate forced obsolecence).

Advertisement