Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clutch and gear control?

• 03-11-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

ok i know how to drive , ive driven before , my clutch control and gear changes are great ( partly due to my experience on dirtbikes) but theres some thing that dont directly cross over from bikes to cars:
    1. when driving in a confined space/reversing ive notice that the only way to control your speed precisely is to drag the clutch ,, now on a dirtbike this is a bad idea fullstop but is it ok on a car? i cant seem to keep my speed down enough to back carefully without it.

2. when slowing down when your in 3/4th gear should you clutch in and skip all the gears to first or should you sequentially change down to first ( like you would be forced to do on a bike)?

edit: just to specify my experience was with 2 stroke dirtbikes so i still have to get used to rev control and engine braking
    (FYI 2 strokes have little to no engine braking and you have to use a weird throttle pattern to maintain maximum power, basically by keeping in the high rpms with help form the clutch)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

lb1997 wrote: »
    ok i know how to drive , ive driven before , my clutch control and gear changes are great ( partly due to my experience on dirtbikes) but theres some thing that dont directly cross over from bikes to cars:
    1. when driving in a confined space/reversing ive notice that the only way to control your speed precisely is to drag the clutch ,, now on a dirtbike this is a bad idea fullstop but is it ok on a car? i cant seem to keep my speed down enough to back carefully without it.

2. when slowing down when your in 3/4th gear should you clutch in and skip all the gears to first or should you sequentially change down to first ( like you would be forced to do on a bike)?

edit: just to specify my experience was with 2 stroke dirtbikes so i still have to get used to rev control and engine braking
    (FYI 2 strokes have little to no engine braking and you have to use a weird throttle pattern to maintain maximum power, basically by keeping in the high rpms with help form the clutch)

In terms of reversing, when you're doing tight reverses it's all really about clutch control - using the clutch alone is perfectly fine as long as you control it correctly.

When slowing down, best idea is to break and then drop from 4th-2nd-1st if you're in 4th or directly from 5th-3rd-1st if you're in that gear sequence. No problem at all with doing that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

When slowing down, best idea is to break and then drop from 4th-2nd-1st if you're in 4th or directly from 5th-3rd-1st if you're in that gear sequence. No problem at all with doing that either.

What you've said there is necessarily wrong but sometimes isn't the best thing to do in the situation. Block changing usually slows you down quicker. If you want to slow down gradually, say to approach a red light slower to give it a chance to go green, changing from 4-3-2 might be more advantageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

What you've said there is necessarily wrong but sometimes isn't the best thing to do in the situation. Block changing usually slows you down quicker. If you want to slow down gradually, say to approach a red light slower to give it a chance to go green, changing from 4-3-2 might be more advantageous.

so going from 5th to 1st is acceptable if you want to slow down faster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

lb1997 wrote: »
    so going from 5th to 1st is acceptable if you want to slow down faster?

Please highlight where I said that or anything remotely like that

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

Please highlight where I said that or anything remotely like that

well the first lad said that you can go from 4-2-1 ,ok. then you said you can go from 4-3-2-1 to slow down more gradually. then im asking if you can go from 4-1 if you need to stop very quickly.
    btw i was sorta talking to both of ye even though i quoted you,, just some bad comm skills on my part

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

I only switch to to first when the car is completely stopped. No need to be putting the car into first gear while moving. For me it's stop in second anyway, and then switch into first. First gear is only for taking off. That's what the majority of drivers do. You can stop in third if you like and wont get any points deducted in driving test. it's more the situation your in really. Never switch down to first gear when coming to a stop is my advice unless you need to in slow moving traffic. Trying to switch down to first when moving along normally will just lead you to coasting or revving the site out of the engine.

Also if something jumps out in front of you or something you dont have to change gears! You can stop in any gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Just stop in whatever gear you're in, gearing down when coming to a stop is a hangover from when cars had crap brakes and you had to give them a little help.

If I'm in 4th/5th and have to stop for something up ahead, red light ahead that could go green etc. I'll usually go down to 3rd in advance so I can stop or roll up and keep going if it goes green without labouring the car.

No hard and fast rules, you have to learn to read a situation and react accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

In terms of stopping; you can correctly stop without having made any gear changes from any gear or you can correctly stop by changing down the gears. You can also incorrectly stop with or without gear changes. I hope that cleared everything up.
    Key points would be to begin slowing early enough and not spend too long on the clutch, as you are slowing down from the high speed.
    If you are trying to creep very slowly, you can hold the clutch low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Blay wrote: »
    Just stop in whatever gear you're in, gearing down when coming to a stop is a hangover from when cars had crap brakes and you had to give them a little help.

If I'm in 4th/5th and have to stop for something up ahead, red light ahead that could go green etc. I'll usually go down to 3rd in advance so I can stop or roll up and keep going if it goes green without labouring the car.

No hard and fast rules, you have to learn to read a situation and react accordingly.

Same here. If I'm in 4th/5th coming up to a red light, I get off the acceleration, brake lightly, go into 3rd and come to a halt.

Advertisement