Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full licence at 17

Options
  • 26-10-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

I've a friend who's adamant you can get your full licence at 17 once you've done your test, is this true??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you're on the ball getting your learner permit, a quick learner and lucky. Then yes, you can.

The main issues are: Getting your learner permit ASAP when you turn 17, actually learning to drive, the 6 month wait before being able to sit a test, getting a test date, and actually being capable of passing - all within 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I did my theory test on the 17th of December last year and passed my test on the 17th of September so yeah, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Just to say, my son got his full licence last year and he was only seventeen. As advised earlier, get the learner permit early and get going with the lessons. And the main part...... Get out there and drive,drive,drive.
    Good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You don't need to be 17 to do your theory test, so you can get that passed and out of the way, ready for your learner permit application when you do turn 17 (but note the certificate is only valid for 2 years).

You have to have had your learner permit 6 months before you can sit your test, but you can apply for it beforehand (once you have your LP 6 months or longer the day you sit the test).
    I'm not sure if the system has changed but when I was booking my test, you can set which dates you are unavailable. I just set every day up until the day when I would have had my LP 6 months as unavailable to ensure I didn't get a date too early.

• Advertisement
Advertisement