Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance - Let me know what you think about this.

• 03-01-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Im 34 years old, attending college and married.

today i went looking for car insurance quotes as travellers insurance has left the market and my renewal is coming up.

i went to one of the main insurers to their office and got an outragous quote (ie: just cant afford it) for a seat 1.9 TDI around the 660 euro for the year. fully comp with full no claims protection cover.

I told him its very high compared to other quotes (over 90+ more) i have been getting and what i got in response what why not list my wife on my policy, i explained that she dosnt drive and dosnt hold a driving licence of any description. and has no intention of ever getting a licence in the next to near future.

i was told put her on it anyway and see what quotes would return, so he proceded to list her as a learner driver and his system returned a quote of 510 with the exact same cover as above.

3 questions:

1. Is this dodgy (my thinking is yes)
    2. if it is dodgy does it lie with the insurer ie: manager of insurance store or me.
    3. how the hell is an insurer returning a better quote to me when listing a learner driver on my policy, surely that would increase the risk?

ps. I didnt go ahead with the policy but i do wonder should i be thinking about it considering my wife would never ever be driving my car and i am the main policy holder. if something was to happen ie: crash car stolen etc. It would be me as the main policy holder that would have to produce details.

so can someone tell me i am right to forget about it and go elsewhere or is this the done thing to save a few bob.

tks

neonitrix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You can't put her on the car if she doesn't have a license as far as I'm aware :confused:

But adding significant others reduces the premium due to decreased risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

draffodx wrote: »
    You can't put her on the car if she doesn't have a license as far as I'm aware :confused:

But adding significant others reduces the premium due to decreased risk.

confused myself but as i said he acknowledged that she didnt have a licence as said it was fine.

i do understand that (*he acknowledged) may not be worth the paper its written on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

neonitrix wrote: »
    confused myself but as i said he acknowledged that she didnt have a licence as said it was fine.

i do understand that (*he acknowledged) may not be worth the paper its written on.

Interesting maybe someone else knows more about it on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im 34 years old, attending college and married.

today i went looking for car insurance quotes as travellers insurance has left the market and my renewal is coming up.

i went to one of the main insurers to their office and got an outragous quote (ie: just cant afford it) for a seat 1.9 TDI around the 660 euro for the year. fully comp with full no claims protection cover.

I told him its very high compared to other quotes (over 90+ more) i have been getting and what i got in response what why not list my wife on my policy, i explained that she dosnt drive and dosnt hold a driving licence of any description. and has no intention of ever getting a licence in the next to near future.

i was told put her on it anyway and see what quotes would return, so he proceded to list her as a learner driver and his system returned a quote of 510 with the exact same cover as above.

3 questions:

1. Is this dodgy (my thinking is yes)
    2. if it is dodgy does it lie with the insurer ie: manager of insurance store or me.
    3. how the hell is an insurer returning a better quote to me when listing a learner driver on my policy, surely that would increase the risk?

ps. I didnt go ahead with the policy but i do wonder should i be thinking about it considering my wife would never ever be driving my car and i am the main policy holder. if something was to happen ie: crash car stolen etc. It would be me as the main policy holder that would have to produce details.

so can someone tell me i am right to forget about it and go elsewhere or is this the done thing to save a few bob.

tks

neonitrix

Travellers have left the market? you have any info on this? I have a policy with them

listermint wrote: »
    Travellers have left the market? you have any info on this? I have a policy with them

only what my current broker sent me in a letter:

"with regard to your current insurer, Travelers Insurance as of Octover 1st 2011 are leaving the irish private motor insurance market and are not offering renewal terms for this policy and all cover will lapse at renewal".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hmm, might have missed that one perhaps. Was that from First Ireland ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

1. Is this dodgy Yes, very dodgey
    2. if it is dodgy does it lie with the insurer ie: manager of insurance store or me. You
    3. how the hell is an insurer returning a better quote to me when listing a learner driver on my policy, surely that would increase the risk? I don't know.
    so can someone tell me i am right to forget about it and go elsewhere or is this the done thing to save a few bob. Try else where. One of our cars is 1.9TDI. Fully comp €440 with Travellers. No increase in premium since last year
    ... I have a policy with them
    +1

mathepac wrote: »
    +1

thats the prob everyone else coming in very high compared to travelers who are not quoting for renewals.

but your right it dosnt ring thru i was just surprised when it came direct from a main insurer albeit a manager of one of their stores

tks

neonitrix

Hmm, might have missed that one perhaps. Was that from First Ireland ?

nah a broker in laois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Travellers left a few months back and are winding down later this year. :(

As for is this dodgy then yes. Your insurance company make assumptions. One of them will be that your wife will have a licence.

The reason the premium is lower is because the risk is somewhat split if she is driving as they calculate it that she also has a policy....

Personally, I'd get the broker to revise my quote and tell him that you're away to tell the IBA what kind of underhand crap he's up too if he doesn't get you a nice big discount. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It can be cheaper to add a partner to your policy, but I never heard it work out cheaper if they are on a learner's permit.

I wouldn't go along with the proposition, it would be you making the misrepresentation. Why not have her obtain the learners permit to make it legit?

oldyouth wrote: »
    It can be cheaper to add a partner to your policy, but I never heard it work out cheaper if they are on a learner's permit.

I wouldn't go along with the proposition, it would be you making the misrepresentation. Why not have her obtain the learners permit to make it legit?

not going to go with it and really no point in her having a permit with no interest in driving or doing lessons, aswell as costs involved in getting her a full licence currently i couldnt manage it with how tight things are.

tks for input everyone

neonitrix

MugMugs wrote: »
    Travellers left a few months back and are winding down later this year. :(

As for is this dodgy then yes. Your insurance company make assumptions. One of them will be that your wife will have a licence.

The reason the premium is lower is because the risk is somewhat split if she is driving as they calculate it that she also has a policy....

Personally, I'd get the broker to revise my quote and tell him that you're away to tell the IBA what kind of underhand crap he's up too if he doesn't get you a nice big discount. :)

chance would be a fine thing but this all came for a main insurers office not a broker, so i am just going to leave it alone.

Advertisement