Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk4 mondeo failed test

• 31-07-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

As above failed test today on what is described in the sheet as

"suspension arm - mounting/bush defective , near side off side, foremost lower"

Anyone care to tell me what I'm looming at replacing here? I gather bushings need replaced is it a handy job or what am I up against?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Rear trailing arm bushes. Very common failure on the Mk4 Mondeos.

Not really DIY-able unless you can borrow the special tool for replacing them. Or if you have access to a hydraulic press you can remove the whole arm and replace the bush that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Not really DIY-able unless you can borrow the special tool for replacing them. Or if you have access to a hydraulic press you can remove the whole arm and replace the bush that way.

Cheers George

Is that what the description means both trailing arm bushings gone or is there something else?

From what I've looked up seems the whole arm is replaced with new bushings in place which is costly, I take it it's ok to take of the arm and push out old for new bushings?

Cheers

What is normally done on this kind of job George? Would you remove arm and replace bushing or replace complete arm? The second option is costly so I'm hoping the first is simply a push out out bushing for new job

I've done plenty of DIY jobs but this is my first on bushings, are they handy to do once you get them on a press? Any handy hints doing them?

Cheers

Ford used to only supply the arm complete with bush but now you can buy the bush separately either from Ford or various aftermarket suppliers.

canhefixit wrote: »
    What is normally done on this kind of job George? Would you remove arm and replace bushing or replace complete arm? The second option is costly so I'm hoping the first is simply a push out out bushing for new job

I've done plenty of DIY jobs but this is my first on bushings, are they handy to do once you get them on a press? Any handy hints doing them?

Cheers

We replace the bush only rather than the whole arm. We have the tool for doing them in place now but when we first started replacing them there was no tool available so we had to remove the arm and do it in the press. It's actually quite awkward to do them that way as the arm is quite large and difficult to hold in position and the shape of the bush doesn't help matters either.

• Advertisement

Is this the right part I'm looking at replacing bushings on George?

Is there any make of bushing better than others to use? Car has only 42k on clock and is drove handy supprised these or gone so quick

Out of interest how much would a garage charge for the job roughly George?

No that's not the common one. It's this one:

03535544-01-1.jpg

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/control-arm-bush/lemforder-35544-01_g251_a03535544!01.html

I would go with either OE Ford or Lemforder personally.

No that's not the common one. It's this one:

03535544-01-1.jpg

http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/control-arm-bush/lemforder-35544-01_g251_a03535544!01.html

I would go with either OE Ford or Lemforder personally.

Ok so that's the bushing then what is it that they describe foremost lower do you know?

Yeah I'll get either of those bushings

Cheers George

That is descrbing the location of the bush. Stick your head under the car and you will see that it is located on the lower arm in front of the rear wheel. Hence "foremost lower".

They usually mark the offending parts with tippex or similar anyway to help whoever repairs the car to identify what needs changing.

• Advertisement

That is descrbing the location of the bush. Stick your head under the car and you will see that it is located on the lower arm in front of the rear wheel. Hence "foremost lower".

They usually mark the offending parts with tippex or similar anyway to help whoever repairs the car to identify what needs changing.

Ok so cheers, it wasn't myself who put it through in away til Monday and don't have car to have a look but I will

The pic you showed me is that just the complete bushing or is that it fitted to the part as well?

Sorry for 100 questions just ripping it failed and mad to get working in it Monday and having a heads up what I'm at

Ok so cheers, it wasn't myself who put it through in away til Monday and don't have car to have a look but I will

The pic you showed me is that just the complete bushing or is that it fitted to the part as well?

Sorry for 100 questions just ripping it failed and mad to get working in it Monday and having a heads up what I'm at

Ah ok I get it now

The pic of the bushing you showed it that just the bushing fitting are is that it fitted to the part an all?

I didn't put it through test I'm away till Monday ripping it failed tbh but I'll be inspecting when I'm back again

The picture I posted is just the bush. You'll see the setup yourself once you get a look at the car anyway.

The picture I posted is just the bush. You'll see the setup yourself once you get a look at the car anyway.

Cheers George

I'll see it on monday and if It needs be I'll come back to you tks

Cheers George

I'll see it on monday and if It needs be I'll come back to you tks

Ok George had a look there and tbh can't really see where the bushing you showed me goes, took few pics of the part which may be the wrong one I'm looking at maybe?

Ok George had a look there and tbh can't really see where the bushing you showed me goes, took few pics of the part which may be the wrong one I'm looking at maybe?

Pic of the part, think it's the control arm?

Pic of the part, think it's the control arm?

Pic of bushing one end of arm

Pic of bushing one end of arm

And the other end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

The bushing you are looking for is the big one on the arm that goes in the direction front to rear they are located around the front of the wheel arch.
    Some of those mondeos had plastic covers protecting the bushings thats why you cant see them.

• Advertisement

The bushing you are looking for is the big one on the arm that goes in the direction front to rear they are located around the front of the wheel arch.
    Some of those mondeos had plastic covers protecting the bushings thats why you cant see them.

I was thinking I was looking at the wrong one as the replacement bushings didn't look like they would suit, I'll have an other look at that tomorrow again, so just round front of wheel arch and in direction of front of car to rear

Cheers

Right have the right part now can see by the bushing, job looks a lot bigger now it looks like part of the whole hub assembly with maybe 7 or 8 bits needing taken off it to get it out

Can it just be dropped abit from the bushing end and replace it that way?

Right have the right part now can see by the bushing, job looks a lot bigger now it looks like part of the whole hub assembly with maybe 7 or 8 bits needing taken off it to get it out

Pic of one of the bushings

Yes if you have the tool.

canhefixit wrote:

It can if you have the proper equipment.
    If not you will need to remove the whole arm and press in the bushings with a hydraulic press which in itself is a job if you dont know what your doing.

Ok I'm going to see tomorrow if I can rent it from somewhere, does anyone know of any places? Is this a specific tool for the bushing on the arm of the mondeo?

The bushing to me Dosent look that bad and there ain't any noise from it when driving but hey ho gotta change it

Specific tool, required due to the unusual shape of the bush. Example in the link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Trailing-Arm-Bush-Tool-Ford-Mondeo-Mk4-VSE4784-/131281092530?hash=item1e90f67fb2

What usually happens with them is that although the rubber part itself is in good condition it has come away from the metal housing and therefore the whole trailing arm can move around. That is why they fail the NCT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Yes, it'd be a special tool. Watch and weep:

http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=1095&item=11733

Had a good ring around garages and motor factors and not one has that tool, all the garages want to remove arm and use press

One garage quoted 400e which I thought was a bit steep tbh anyone any idea if that's about right?

• Advertisement

Try a few ford dealers its a common repair now so may not be as dear as non franchise i can do those bushings in about fourty five minutes a side so it may be worth a go.

Will defo check with ford garage tomorrow they may well supprise me

Where in the country are you? There surely must be someone local that has the tool?

Where in the country are you? There surely must be someone local that has the tool?

Have tools will travel eh George :-D

Near Dundalk myself tried the garages there today and no joy one didn't even know of the tool lol

George how much is the job in question would you know? And do do mobile mechanics 😉

Just an update on this for anyone interested.....

Found a ford mechanic not to far away with said removal tool and priced job at 220e using genuine parts

Ford weren't to bad they came back with a price of 260e I thought would be good bit more

Decided just to leave this job to an actual mechanic haha first time in long time just for convenience really

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement