Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seatbelt alarm

• 02-04-2014 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭

I have an 08 Smax in which the seatbelt alarm is continuously going off. It seems to be linked to the drivers belt. I googled the issue and came across instructions involving buckling and unbuckling the belt 9 times within a minute and while this works temporarily, the problem always arises again in a day or so.

I now just want to permanently disarm the alarm as I'm bloody sick of driving along with the alarm chiming constantly. If I cut the two wires entering the buckle harness and connect then together will this solve the problem? Any other solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭88manta

that can be programmed out of the car. Don't cut anything!!!

5 minute job.

Does it go off when you're wearing the seatbelt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭creedp

88manta wrote: »
    that can be programmed out of the car. Don't cut anything!!!

5 minute job.

Does it go off when you're wearing the seatbelt

Yes it does constantly! That's the problem. When you say 'programmed out' do you mean something like - Turn ignition to II; wait 15 seconds; fully buckle and unbuckle the belt 9 times within a 1 minute period; the seat belt light on the dash will flash 3 time to signify the alarm is turned off/on; Turn off ignition.

I have followed these steps on a number of occassion and indeed it does work but only temporarily. After a day or so the familiar chime starts again!!

I thought I read somewhere (must have a look again) that if you cutthe cables leading into the seat belt lock and join them, this will permanently(!) disable the alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

before u go cutting and chopping,, when your driving do you leave stuff on the passenger seat , as there is a weight sensor in the seat pad to alert the passenger to put there belt on.. most people put hand bags and crap on the passenger seat not realising this is why the chime is alerting and nothing to do with the driver seat belt

ford jedi wrote: »
    before u go cutting and chopping,, when your driving do you leave stuff on the passenger seat , as there is a weight sensor in the seat pad to alert the passenger to put there belt on.. most people put hand bags and crap on the passenger seat not realising this is why the chime is alerting and nothing to do with the driver seat belt

No it doesn't matter if there is something on the passenger seat or not. It also happens when the passesnger seat is occupied and the belt engaged. The chiming started again yesterday and I again followed the process outlined above and have peace once more .. until the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Why not fix the problem rather than disable a safey feature.

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    Why not fix the problem rather than disable a safey feature.

I don't particularly want to spend money fixing a feature that reminds me to put on my safety belt as this is something I will always have done my self before a properly functioning alarm can warn me about it. Bottom line I only ever hear the damn thing going off when I already have my belt buckled.

Now if the feature worked on the back seats it would have value as it would warn me if/when one of the kids unbuckles their belt.

However, having said that, I would prefer to temporarily rather than permanently disarm it as then it could always be reactivated by someone who considered it important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try pressing the red seatbelt buckle repeatedly as you drive along, maybe 8-10+ times the chime and the light should go out.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Try pressing the red seatbelt buckle repeatedly as you drive along, maybe 8-10+ times the chime and the light should go out.

Will try that when it decides to reactivate itself again .. going 2 days now since the last deactivation.

Advertisement