Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

License period validity...

• 07-11-2013 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Can anyone who has had an old pink license for a couple of renewals shed some light on this?

My mum passed her test in 1981. She renewed her license last year (not for the first time obviously) and the issue date corresponds to when she renewed it. However, the validity period is from 1992-2022 (on the right hand side where the categories are). 1992 means nothing in terms of when she's ever renewed it or obtained categories. Can anyone shed some light on this? We don't have anyone in the family who's either still got an old style paper license or if they do they haven't held it for more than 10 years so we don't have anyone to check it against... It seems to imply a 30 year validity but retrospectively so?

Wasn't sure where a to put this, but seeing as there's a lot of discussion about licenses here might fit? Feel free to move elsewhere if its not appropriate here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭I can't tell you why

Irish driving licences last 10 years. So 10 years from her last renewal in 2012 makes sense as 2022.
    Why they put 1992 there, makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Irish driving licences last 10 years. So 10 years from her last renewal in 2012 makes sense as 2022.
    Why they put 1992 there, makes no sense.

Yeah see this is what we were thinking but have nothing to check it against. If it is a mistake I think they should be replacing it for her free of charge as surely a mistake means it can't be used as a legal document? But don't want to go in demanding a new one if its in any way normal if you know what I mean.

So long as it's current. Who cares?

I suppose the issue is that it's supposed to be a legal document that is expensive enough to get for what it is, so the details at least should be correct. If they're not correct, is the document legally valid? We just weren't sure if it is a mistake or if something new came in during 1992 that meant the validity 'from' date is 1992 for all people who held a license then. If its current but not valid then it might as well not be current.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In my categories section, my bike licence is listed as from 1993 but my car one is from 2011.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    In my categories section, my bike licence is listed as from 1993 but my car one is from 2011.

I'm guessing that's when you got them? If so that's cool, just a bit odd that they picked a time 11 years after she got the license!

No Garda will have any issue with it. No court will have any issue with it. If you really want it changed now, the new licensing authority will tell you to go away and come back another day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

That's when her first renewal was after records were computerized. Ring the RSA if you want that verified.

Ah brilliant, that makes sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I've a pupil starting who got their first LP in May 2012. He recently renewed it (his mum said they had to, I'm totally confused by this). Anyway, apparently the new one arrived the other day and it's valid until October 2014!!

Makes no sense at all. The young lad only turned 17 in April 2012. The only thing I can think of is he had W on the licence at 16 first but I don't think so

• Advertisement
Advertisement