Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about drivers license for car

• 22-04-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how it really works taking a driving license here in Ireland (from Sweden my self). I see people driving around alone with the L signs on their cars. How does this work? I mean they do not have a full drivers license if I understand it right?

I had a drivers license before in Sweden (lost for speeding) so I can drive with no problems. But would I be able to get my learners permit and drive alone until I get my full license or would I have to have a "sponsor" with me in the car. I think I read that its new rules after the 4th April 2011. And when I read about it its so confusing for me to understand what they mean.

Can somebody please explain it to me like I was child and not in to hard English please as this is the thing confusing me, makes my head spin.

Think I would need a list of "THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO" hehe. And how long and what would I need to do before I can start driving by my self? Dont know that many people here that could be my sponsor =/

Please any help here would be lovely.

Thanks,
    /Kenneth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I see people driving around alone with the L signs on their cars. How does this work? I mean they do not have a full drivers license if I understand it right?
    They are breaking the law.

If you want to get a licence in Ireland you need to pass a theory test first and then apply for a learners permit. Once you have held the permit for 6 months you can then do your driving test. During your time waiting you cannot drive alone ever.

Why can't you get your Swedish licence back? How long were you banned for and when did this happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Getting a driving licence in Ireland:
    1. Do the theory test; it's questions about road signs, road positioning etc.
    2. If you pass you can get a learner's permitt.
    3. You can now drive (if you can get insurance) as long as you display L plates and are accompanied at all times by a fully licensed driver who has their licence at least two years.
    4. After having the learner's permitt for 6 months you can sit the driving test.
    5. If you pass you get you full licence and can drive unaccompanied. If the new rules apply to you you will have to display R plates for a certain length of time after you get your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Hi again all,

Thanks for the answers. I would not get back my Swedes license considering the speed I was doing.

Is it the same with a motorbike license? I mean, I would have to get a full License here as well before driving alone?

Why I am asking is because it looks like I am getting a new job and getting there by bus will just take to long and I think I would need to be able to get there by other means then bus/train.

Hehe I don't think that anybody would like to sit next to me just so I can drive to work and then later on home again.

So would a motorbike be a better option for me? Could somebody tell me how it works getting a license for motorbike as well?

Sorry for all my questions.

Thanks
    /c0rn

Same process for a motorbike licence. You can get a 125cc bike and not need a fully licensed driver.

Hi Our Man in Havana,

So if I started taking a motorbike license and get a 125cc bike I would be able to drive alone. What would I have to do? What steps, a list like "234" posted would sooo make my day. I'm sorry for all my questions. I just want to make sure that I would be able to get front and back to work if I get that job. I cycle all over the place now but from Clonsilla to Swords is just to far for me to cycle every day.

Huge thanks for all you help people, really nice of you.
    /c0rn

• Advertisement

Getting a driving licence in Ireland:

1. Do the theory test; it's questions about road signs, road positioning etc.
    2. If you pass you can get a learner's permitt.
    3. You can now drive (if you can get insurance) as long as you display L plates.
    4. After having the learner's permitt for 6 months you can sit the driving test.
    5. If you pass you get you full licence and can drive unaccompanied. If the new rules apply to you you will have to display R plates for a certain length of time after you get your licence.

Almost the same procedure for a car, except you don't need a qualified driver with you.

Hi agian,

Perfect so that means I going to have to get me a motorbike license. This sounds good to me. At least its better then taking my bicycle there and back.

Again huge thanks for all your help people.

/c0rn

Advertisement