Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do oral agreements count for anything

Options
  • 21-04-2011 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

a local farmer approached me last month about renting some land i own for grazing cattle , this practice is known as con acre and involves renting farm land from around april 1st to december 1st , anyhow , we agreed on a price and that was that , out of the blue last monday he told me he wasnt going ahead with it and made what were alotgether spurious excuses, i now find myself without a tennant and with little chance of finding one as thier is a narrow anual time frame in which to let out land for this purpose , i stand to loose 3000 euro , my question is this

have i any recourse in this matter , can you without any fear of consequence , welch on an oral agreement and simply walk away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

The problem is generally proving it. The Statue of Frauds and various other pieces of more recent legislation require certain kinds of contract to be in writing. Other than that you can contract orally. However, the problem is proving it. If you go to court looking for damages for breach of contract then you only have your word against his and you need to conince the judge that your are that bit more credible than him (balance of probablilties).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

234 wrote: »
    The problem is generally proving it. The Statue of Frauds and various other pieces of more recent legislation require certain kinds of contract to be in writing. Other than that you can contract orally. However, the problem is proving it. If you go to court looking for damages for breach of contract then you only have your word against his and you need to conince the judge that your are that bit more credible than him (balance of probablilties).

thanks for the quick reply

sounds like a 50 - 50 shot at best

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

234 is right although oral contracts have been upheld in court before, 50/50 chance may be true but how much more than 3k do you stand to loose.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You should have done what most people selling a car do, ask for a non-refundable deposit pending the closing of the deal, otherwise you tell the prospective buyer/tenant that you will be prepared to accept a higher offer from someone else in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Irish Fire wrote: »
    234 is right although oral contracts have been upheld in court before, 50/50 chance may be true but how much more than 3k do you stand to loose.......

no more or no less than 3 k , sure id be waiting for years for a date in court

• Advertisement
Advertisement