Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple or windows

Options
  • 17-11-2007 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hey! Just a quick question, want to buy a laptop and have my eye on the macbooks, if i buy one, will it be hard to transfer data from an apple via a usb to a normal windows pc beacuse of different formatting and stuff?
    Or would it just make my life easier to get one that uses windows?

Are macbooks really worth their pricetag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

No, it wouldn't be hard at all, in fact I do it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the only thing you might have difficulty is with NTFS drives.

os x supports NTFS for reading but not writing to.

i'm sure there's a 3rd party driver you can get to allow writing to NTFS on UNIX based o/s's but it's name eludes me atm.

fat32 works fine though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Cremo wrote: »
    fat32 works fine though.

Unless you want to store files over 4GBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MadSambuka

nope, its basically for college and some dvds etc. I've been looking for a 13/14" for ages but cant find any as appealing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MadSambuka wrote: »
    nope, its basically for college and some dvds etc. I've been looking for a 13/14" for ages but cant find any as appealing!

Dell xps m1330 range maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Unless you want to store files over 4GBs.
    yes but that's a limitation forced by the way that file system works, it has the 4gb file size limit whether it's windows/mac/linux. hence i didn't see the need in bringing it up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

On a side story , may have some relavence to your end decision, I was in a 3G store today looking at the New Imac's. One sales person came over to moe and started pitching how great they were to me. Now I own a mac mini already and do like it but I repair pc's/laptops so will always be windows fisrt,OSx second.Upon telling her this it was like I was slapping Steve Jobs in the face, she took great offence when I told her I felt that Mac's were a bit over priced. She told me of all the wonderful packages that come with OSx but when I mentioned Linux and free alternative like openoffice and Gimp for editing photos, jesus I opened up a can of worms! Slightly heated debate in the middle of a quiet enough 3G store which left me wishing I'd kept my mouth shut.
    Anyways! Enjoy the laptop which ever you go for!

Advertisement