Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

acer motherboard

Options
  • 16-11-2007 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

i have an acer laptop thats not charging, i'm told there could be a problem with motherboard.

Just wondered if there is anywhere you can buy a motherboard as i have a friend who fixes laptops and might be able to do it.
    how much is one to buy approx?
    is it worth my while fixing it.
    i have 1t 18months so warranty is up.
    er media quoted quite alot to have it repaired if its the motherboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Try ebay for the Motherboard as you might be able to pick one up from a us/uk seller. It will not be cheap as motherboard for any type of laptop rarely are.
    I hope your friend is quite technically savvy as repalcing a motherboard is certinaly not a job for the faint hearted.
    The ER Media quote was quite alot for a good reason.
    If it was a budget laptop then I'd imagine its not cost effective to try and replace the motherboard but if you provide the spec's of the machine that would give us more to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Its an acer aspire 5504 WXMi
    cost approx 1,100

the power cable i thought was the problem, so i bought one in maplin.
    Maplin's own brand, a one that 'fits' all laptops.
    this worked for a bit then it semed not to charge it anymore.
    I brought the maplin one back and got another as i thought it was faulty.

Meanwhile i borrowed a friends ACER cable and that charged it up.
    but when i tried the new replaced maplin own brand it didnt.

question is could it be the maplin power cable that the acer laptop is not recognising?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well if your friends acer cable works but the maplins doesn't, it looks like the maplins one just doesn't work with your laptop. You should buy an acer branded cable similar to your friends one before buying a motherboard and installing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

I think I'll try return the second power cable to maplin again.

any one know of where i could buy an acer power cable in the republic, i suppose it will have to be online??

Advertisement