Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Help Me Find a Laptop Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cormie wrote: »
    Almighty, do you have a Vostro yeah? I've seen a close up of the vostro keyboard on a pic online, and it doesn't look like it is sealed as it's described on the dell site, to stop dust and food getting lodged under the keys. Is yours sealed?

I don't have a vostro but my sister does. She should be home saturday I can take a look at it then. My insprion is sealed in that if crumbs fall on the keyboard they don't go into the laptop itself if that's what you mean. Crumbs can get under the actual keys but running a vacuum cleaner over it will get it out.

Regarding the conversation on MSN, he wasn't talking about vista with the hardware, but I've also heard elsewhere myself that there may be hardware compatibility issues if using a dell. He says it's just them using bits that dont work properly together and bad things happen and the pc doesn't run well. He's heard this from people in gold level tech support. This was 3-5 years ago by the way. Perhaps things have changed?

The only compatibilty problems are things like what connections it uses. For example a sata hard drive won't work with a motherboard that only has an ide connection. The thing won't work at all not even improperly.

What it sounds like he is saying is that a western digital hard drive doesn't work with a ati graphics card. That's nonsense. Please ask the guy to give a scenario where they use bits that don't work properly together.

Edit: Just seen this deal on a sony too: http://www.musthave100.co.uk/index.php?target=products&product_id=16463 how would that measure up? What about sony support? Probably a 2 week job like Acer with sending it off and all that?

I'd say the support would be a similar situation to the acer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think he meant that because the hardware they use is cheap and isn't as compatible, that the specs advertised aren't really as good as they could be because they aren't all working in harmony together and you are getting cheap components maybe?

Ah so that's what they mean by "sealed" damn, I though it would be something like this:
    keyboard-cover.jpg Wonder can these be bought separately. I eat quite a bit around the laptop :o

EDIT: Ooooh look, I actually found something out for myself for once:) Even a direct link to the right one :phttp://www.compucover.com/new_index.cfm?do=ItemPage&ManufactureName=dell&ProductID=1526422&CategoryID=553&RequestTimeout=1500&LetsSearch=KeySkin&ModelNo=vostro&StartRow=1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think he meant that because the hardware they use is cheap and isn't as compatible, that the specs advertised aren't really as good as they could be because they aren't all working in harmony together and you are getting cheap components maybe?

If that's what he means then I wouldn't listen to him. The cheap motherboard and ram wouldn't affect compatibility with the parts they use. The only people who need to get expensive memory and motherboards are people who plan to overclock or need something that motherboards has that isn't standard. It's a waste of money otherwise.
    Ah so that's what they mean by "sealed" damn, I though it would be something like this:
    keyboard-cover.jpg Wonder can these be bought separately. I eat quite a bit around the laptop :o

Are you meant to use that while typing? It looks like something they put over the keyboard to protect it while in shipping. I eat while I'm using my laptop and I don't worry about it.

Not sure what overclocking is but I'm guessing I wont be doing it so :)

Here's a better picture of the skin:
    http://www.i-rocks.co.kr/irocks_shop/product/skin/KR-6110_keyskin_001.jpg

It says it's "super thin". Worth the gamble I suppose. A lot of my keys have become stiff and I've had to take them off and clean under them and everything. Worth $15 I think.

Still leaning towards the Dell anyway and will probably just go ahead and order it. Better hurry to avoid any Christmas rush.

Another one to throw into the equation:
    http://aldi.ie/special_buys2/product_472.html

I bought a Gericom laptop from Aldi before, the laptop itself had a little problem that it would randomly turn off, I brought it back and had the same problem, got it replaced immediately, no questions asked. The replacement had the same problem but I held onto it for about 6 months. Decided to eventually return it as it was annoying me and got a full cash refund, again no questions asked. So my experience with Aldi is pretty good :)

• Advertisement

Another one to throw into the equation:
    http://aldi.ie/special_buys2/product_472.html

I bought a Gericom laptop from Aldi before, the laptop itself had a little problem that it would randomly turn off, I brought it back and had the same problem, got it replaced immediately, no questions asked. The replacement had the same problem but I held onto it for about 6 months. Decided to eventually return it as it was annoying me and got a full cash refund, again no questions asked. So my experience with Aldi is pretty good :)

The processor is better in the dell and the graphics card in the aldi one is crap.

Advertisement